Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, we had a great time! It was a beautiful day, met a few forum members, rode some sleds, and generally had a lot of fun. It was disapointing that Cat didn't have any Sabercats or EXT models to ride.. There were lots of F6s, a few 2003 F7s, and a few other assorted 03s. But they did have the new 660Turbo available to test ride.

I rode the 660T and I was pleased. I also rode a RX-1 so there are obvious comparisons to be made. The 660T steers easier than the RX1. Feels much lighter and easier to drive on tight trails. The 660T has a VERY comfortable rear suspension, in contrast to the RX1, which pounded into the moguls. I wasn't able to bottom the 660T in my short ride, it had lots of travel. This sled is aimed at the trail cruiser, and should score a direct hit. It felt as fast as the RX1 at the limited speeds the demo ride rode at. Handling was nice, without any push. There was decent transfer, but seemed to have lousy traction, both accerating AND braking. The RX1 also had poor traction. One annoying thing that both the RX1 and 660T do is a funny kind of thing just as you touch the thottle.. It has something to do with the engine breaking I think, but it is VERY irritating. The 660T was SO quiet on idle, that I kept thinking it had stalled. Then I would just touch the throttle and it would jump ahead. The RX1 did this also. It would take me a long time to get used to that.

The F6 (standard suspention) had great comfort while still feeling like a performance sled. The shocks seem to be valved differently. Jane thought it "had more travel and was more comfortable" than her XC6.

I rode a 2004 ProX 550. It was ok. I say that because I expected it to be very stiff, but it was instead very similar in ride to my F7 snopro. It handled the moguls well, and had good snap for such a small motor. But the brake STILL has that incredibly loud noise when it is applied.. Like fingernails on a chalk board. I can't believe that I put up with that noise for years. There is no excuse for Poo to have not corrected that by now.

I again rode a REV today, this time a 2003 600HO. I went into this ride with a different attitude than before.. I decided that I was going to ride it like a REV, and not a conventional sled. I put my knees right up on the cowl, just as I've seen some others ride. And I resisted the tendency to lean in the corners.. Result? I actually enjoyed this ride, and much to my surprise my knees didn't hurt afterward. It left me with a totally different feeling toward this sled. So much so, that if I didn't like my Firecat so much, this would be my second choice for a sled for 04.

So to sum it up, in my totally opinionated, subjective, like-it-or-lump-it review of (only) the sleds I rode at the snodeo today, I would rate them like this.

1) F6 best egos overall and still the most fun to ride.

2) REV 600HO not nearly as bad as I thought, but still a few things that bug me. takes some getting used to.. I'd like to spend more time on one.

3) ProX 550 Familiar and reliable.. Predictable even. Easy to ride. Maybe a little boring to me because I've spent so much time on Poos. Brake noise sucks the big one.

4) RX-1 Smooth, powerful, GREAT powerplant. Rear skid and heavy steering at slow speed REALLY limit the appeal of this sled for me.. Funky ergos too.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Thanks rob. Out of the f6 and the rev, which one seemed more powerful? Or you couldent tell? :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by holeshot f-5@Feb 28 2003, 06:49 PM
Thanks rob. Out of the f6 and the rev, which one seemed more powerful? Or you couldent tell? :)
impossible to say.. the trails were so chewed up and they would let you get going very fast.

The 660T was very quiet on idle, when it "spooled up" it was a lot louder. I can't say if that was the turbo, as I've got zero experience with turbos :wacko:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Thanks for the great Reviews Rob!
Just wondering, what is the difference between a 700 Firecat and a 700 Sabercat,
other than the rear seat and decals ;) ?
Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
The EXT firecat never made it to the dealer to be setup for the snodeo. Well not yet anyways. It might still be on its way. Dealer is supposed to call me when they get it, since the snodeo will probably be over when it comes in. I'm thinking about getting a F6 EXT for my second sled, hopefully they will have it tomorrow to check out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts