Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 01 zr800 that I just put reverse in. Now when I put it in reverse I hear a grinding noise . I know that acrtic cat makes a reverse gear adjustment gauge but no dealer has one and WE ARE GOING TO GET SOME SNOW !!!!!!!!! Does anyone know any way I can fix this problem????

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
A grinding noise is bad. I don't think it has to do with your adjustment. Try this, loosen up the linkage and see if the grinding noise goes away. If it does, I'm wrong. If it doesn't take off the cover and see if everything is put together correctly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Best to pull the cover off to verify you've put the case together properly. I had the same/similar problem and the cause was I was missing a couple of spacers that go on either side of the reverse idler gears, installed the spacers and the "grinding" stopped. Confir with brownsleisureworld.com for schematics or the service manual. Be sure to use red loctite on the retainer shaft extension (part that holds the bottom gear on) and torque it as best as you can by hand.
The tool used to adjust the reverse engagement tension isn't needed, do it by feel when you have the case back together, just enough tension to hold the shift lever handle engaged is all you need.

·
Premium Member
12,762 Posts
Best to pull the cover off to verify you've put the case together properly. I had the same/similar problem and the cause was I was missing a couple of spacers that go on either side of the reverse idler gears, installed the spacers and the "grinding" stopped. Confir with brownsleisureworld.com for schematics or the service manual. Be sure to use red loctite on the retainer shaft extension (part that holds the bottom gear on) and torque it as best as you can by hand.
The tool used to adjust the reverse engagement tension isn't needed, do it by feel when you have the case back together, just enough tension to hold the shift lever handle engaged is all you need.[/b]
Strongly disagree on not using the depth tool (or suitable substitute) as I've yet to check one that was set without that was anywhere close to where it's suppose to be..................specs for it are listed above, only costs you a bolt to make one.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Strongly disagree on not using the depth tool (or suitable substitute) as I've yet to check one that was set without that was anywhere close to where it's suppose to be..................specs for it are listed above, only costs you a bolt to make one.[/b]
Or order the tool/guage from Browns. Under CA$10.00. That's nearly free in US funds.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Ditto!!! Reverse can be set up by sound and feel BUT ,and its a big but ,if it pops out of gear on a speed run things break!!
The tool is easy to make as outlined above and is accutrate unless things are all wore to S#$t in your chaincase to start with.
Usually what happens is the linkage stretches or wears a bit and won't pull the reverse gear fully out when you engage the lever. This causes the grinding.
You may just have to tighten the linkage a bit.
I recommend the tool (hand made or purchased).
My 2 cents worth ..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts