Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchase a used reverse kit for my 98 500 and it is missing the retentioner that bolts to the inside chaincase. What does it actually do?
It cost about 40 bucks so I would like to buy a used one. If anyone has one please let me know.
I was also thinking of fabricating one but I have never seen one. Is it just a block? If so what is it made of plastic/aluminum/steel? Any help would be appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
6,951 Posts
retensioner?? any pix of what you are referencing?? there is the tensioner that guides the chain.
I could not locate any 98 reverse chaiscase pix.. are you talking about the long post bolts into the chaincase that extends out to the new reverse cover??

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's the piece above the word top sprocket that is bolted to the inside case, but the picture is deceiving.

·
Registered
6,951 Posts
It's the piece above the word top sprocket that is bolted to the inside case, but the picture is deceiving.[/b]
That is the shaft that the small sprockets ride on..

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's the decieving part of the drawing. It looks like they are the same but actully they are two different parts. I have the shaft but not other flat part. Check this drawing part number 48

·
Registered
6,951 Posts
#48.. is most likley in the chaincase already and is held in by the 2 # 47's

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
It seems to me they are just pressed in on the newer one's,maybe thats all your saposed to do with that one.once its in it can'nt come out because the cover will be there

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
It's a little plastic piece screwed into the inner case,not usualy there on a non-reverse sled.

I think I have one or 2 laying around if you can't find one elsewhere

·
Premium Member
39,132 Posts
Not sure about all of the rev. kits, but that piece was metal on the 100's I've seen, it acts as a sort of bumper/protector for the aluminum case should the chain touch that area, that is unless your asking about a different part.---- Part number 5222298 item number 37 on the parts list. Retail $35.15
My info came from the parts blowup for a 1998 Indy 500 Classic with reverse.

Don

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is the part number in question. It's item 48 on the diagram above. So this is just a solid block of steel that conforms to the recess in the case with a couple holes for the attaching bolts? I am guessing as long as it is thick enough to cover the width of the chain it should be fine. Perhaps some of the later ones were plastic. Either way I have to get one or make one.
Thanks guys, if I dont find a used one I am going to make one. Sounds like an easy quick project..

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
Many thanks guys. Anyone got one for sale? How about height measurements?[/b]
I'm pretty sure I got one,just got back from riding all day and kicking back for a bit.
I'll look later,I got to go out and fix a buddies zl550 tonight.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, I believe it is. I have never seen one but this looks like the one. Can you pm me a price shiped to 48045? Is that metal or plastic? Thanks

·
Registered
141 Posts
Been there, done that... reverse will not work without it. A few years ago I completely assembled a used kit I bought that came with everything except that same piece you were missing. It wouldn't work at all. Put it in and it was perfect. The screws that come from polaris land are self tappers with a tapered head to fit flush in that bracket. I locktighted mine in too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts