Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove a REV 600 at the end of the season and was blown away by its handling. I have been a loyal Arctic Cat owner for 13 years and would like to stay loyal but after reading about all the problems, am a little hesitant. I definitely think they should have held it back a year or two and tweaked a lot of the problems out of it, but in my view they kind of made the owners the guinea pigs. I own a couple sleds on the zr-zl chassis, and am wondering how different a Rev600 gsx would be from a Firecat f6 efi in terms of handling. I could care less about going over 70mph, I want the best handling trail sled. I spent about 20 minutes on an f-5 this year and about 30 minutes on a rev. The firecat was good, but man did that rev blow me away. My other dilema is I am 6'3" and 240 lbs. Would that rev get uncomfortable for a 4-6-10 hour trail ride?? It seemed great for a 1/2 hour but I did tend to want to stretch out my legs. Don't want to end up with buyers remorse and end up losing 2-3 grand in resale. What I am asking is, is there a big difference between the 2 sleds or are they pretty close, where one will excel in 1 area (f-6 in speed and corners, and a rev in the bumps). I'd definitely keep my zl or zr for the long trail ride, unless the new one is that much better, and this purchase would be a second sled. It seems to me the REV would be a totally different riding style vs my zr-zl, whereas the f6 would be different but closer to my zr-zl. Which would you get, the gsx or f6 and why? thanks

·
Registered
745 Posts
So you wanted to extend your legs while riding the rev? I have talked to guys with a rev and they say the rev works best in the position it is supposed to be ridden in. It does not do so well when trying to extend your legs, or riding back further. The firecat handles exceptionaly well one you get the hang of it. It may seem a big squirley at first, but becomes second nature not to long after. The firecat also has a narrower seat, which I thin,k makes it alot easier to turn and lean. Maybe you want to wait one more year before getting a new sled? Arctic Cat was experimenting with some of their race sleds on the riding postion the rev has. The steering post goes through the between the pipe and the engine. I personally like to ride farther ahead, because i feel more in control. But wait next year and you just might see a riding position similar to the rev. Of all the guys who have firecats personally, i dont not know one who would give that sled up for anything. The majority of the problem with the firecat was the oil pump and the coolant system getting bubbles in it. Those can be pretty easily corrected, so they should be fine by 2004.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is a good thread.

I have a F7 and my wife just early ordered a GSX 600 SDI. We rented a REV a few weeks ago and put 180 miles on it. I'm 6-1 185lb and it was comfortable for me. I consider the Firecat and the REV by far the best sleds on the market today. Polaris and Yamaha doesn't have anything to come close. I want to encourage comparing the Firecat and REV on this site without resorting to bashing the other, as THAT is just what my wife and I will be doing next winter. And I think the GSX will be an extremely popular and successful model for ski-doo next year. I am going to add a forum for REV-GSX info.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I only have about 2 hours total time on an F-cat so im certainly not the authority but I spent a lotta time on my Rev.....I had more trouble turning the cat than the doo was the only thing that was really noticeable.
The two sleds are such opposites that when you come off one to the other its like changing worlds.......I think the Rev is easier to ride for inexperienced riders, the FC seems to be only as good as the guy on it. I heard some people bitch about the cat in the bumps and twisties but I found you could throw it pretty much where you wanted with a little persuasion.....On the Rev you can pretty much park your ass on it and ride it with less input....Thats not always the best because sometimes using a little body english is a big help and your pretty limited on the Rev.
I like the FC"s and i wouldnt mind having an F6 but i wouldnt sell my 600 rev to get it......In a perfect world i'd have both.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Excluding the new model teething problems, you have a tough choice. The only other sled I would consider besides my REV, is a Firecat. We did a 300 mile loop the other day with a Firecat,( made the loop, no issues of any kind). I have ridden it before, and it is a blast. I prefer the REV, but not by too much.

Markus.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I myself am in the same boat. I only have until the 15th to decide too. I think what is going to make the choice for me is going to be the Nightfire package. These sleds are both so very good, that I think I am going to go with the one that is more asthetically pleasing. I also love to stand up and the narrow seat is nice for this. Either way I dont think either one of us will be diseappointed.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I got to ride a Rev 800 for 120 mile. I am 6ft 245lbs. The only thing I did not like was that it was very hard on my knees. I have had a few knee surgerys and attribute the swelling/soreness to the bad knees to begin with.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I"ve never been happier with a sled than I am with my F7. I would like to ride a Rev for a weekend and see how I like it. I *thought* several magazines had said that the rev was a more aggressive/ nasty bump machine (that's not to say the Firecat isn't, but look at the seating position). The Firecat will handle the bumps just fine (and some would argue better) but be more comfortable on an extended "cruise." I don't know that it'll matter one way or the other which way you go for resale- history shows that the first 2 years is the toughest on the seller for resale. Expect to take it in the shorts the 1st 2 years.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I got to ride a Rev 800 for 120 mile. I am 6ft 245lbs. The only thing I did not like was that it was very hard on my knees. I have had a few knee surgerys and attribute the swelling/soreness to the bad knees to begin with.[/b]
I 2 have had knee surgery... Found the Rev very hard on my knee. I'm switching to an Artic Cat this year as my sled of choice. My friends all have ski-doo's some of which are revs. Ski Doo definitely has had their reliability issues as indicated by there frequent visits to the dealer (All of which were new sleds over several years...I should mention they love there sleds). In fact it was this factor that pushed me to Arctic Cat...I'm hoping that the teething problems are behind us. My drag on the lake with a 800 Rev, MX and XC also solidified that the F7 was the way to go. Only my observations :)=

·
Registered
852 Posts
The F7 and REV both had their share of problems this past year. The F7 has more various ridding positions availible and the REV has only one I believe. They are the best of both worlds to me - The wife drives the REV and I'm on the F7.

·
Registered
12,141 Posts
I rode both back to back at the colebrook snodeo. Granted, it was only a 4 min. ride each, but for this 30 year rider (first ride? 1971 sno-jet single purchased new by dear old dad, I was 4 ) the F6 blew the 800(!) rev right off the trail. NO question for me or my bother, we got off the F6 and grinned at each other. We are ordering an F7 efi nightfire each. I will say also that we are (were) loyal polaris men till that ride at dimond pond. Two other honorable mentions are the 700 switchback Polaris and the RX1. Both were a joy to ride, save for the inside ski lift on the RX1 which I am told is greatly improved for 04. (No `04s only `03s there )

·
Registered
61 Posts
I put 4500 miles on my rev this winter without a problem of any kind. The first half of the season i had the steering column in the forwaed position and my knees were always sore . The second half of the season i had the steering column in the rear position and found it to be much more comfortable and no more aching knees. The sense of control is better with the steering column in the forward position, but not much.I rode a lot of high mile days in vermont and canada and never woke up the next morning with sore muscles.The one area where i am not totaly happy with the rev is at speeds close to and over 100mph . From 97mph and up it does not seem to be as stable as a conventional sled would be.I did not ride a firecat so i cannot make a comparison of the two but i did ride it back to back with a viper,xcsp,zr, and a mxz, and against those in my opinion the rev handled better and took any and all bumps better.The other thing i do not like are the precision skis, in soft snow they push, no matter how it is set up.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Originally posted by cummins@Mar 27 2003, 08:06 AM
I got to ride a Rev 800 for 120 mile. I am 6ft 245lbs. The only thing I did not like was that it was very hard on my knees. I have had a few knee surgerys and attribute the swelling/soreness to the bad knees to begin with.
I 2 have had knee surgery... Found the Rev very hard on my knee. I'm switching to an Artic Cat this year as my sled of choice. My friends all have ski-doo's some of which are revs. Ski Doo definitely has had their reliability issues as indicated by there frequent visits to the dealer (All of which were new sleds over several years...I should mention they love there sleds). In fact it was this factor that pushed me to Arctic Cat...I'm hoping that the teething problems are behind us. My drag on the lake with a 800 Rev, MX and XC also solidified that the F7 was the way to go. Only my observations :)= [/b][/quote]
I've found the fc makes my knees sore on a long ride. I don't think either one is ideal if you have knee probs.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've ridden both and I agree Rob, they (Fcat and Rev) are the ones that are pushing the envelope and are more refined than either the Polaris and the Yamaha (this can be both good and bad). I started the season on a 2002 ZR600 CC which I thought was/is a great handling chassis. I had concerns about the Fcat because of last years sno-x machine and the posts earlier this season saying thay were pushing in the corners etc. When my sled was totaled mid-season (rear ended coming home, totaled truck, trailor and sled) I was really set on replacing what I had; a ZR. But I looked at and rode a F7 sp and decided to give it a try. I set it up EXACTLY like I read here (I only added C&A skiis which I had from my ZR) and it was amazing. I ride a lot in the same area so I'm pretty familier with the trails and I can get the Fcat down tight twisty trails as quick (quicker) than the ZR no problem. It handles big bumps way better, stutter bumps as well, out accelerates and is just all around more fun. I ride with buddies that have rev's and we've switched off. I like the Rev and if I was moving from my ZR and there was no Fcat, I would get one. I would say in moguls, both sleds handle them equally as well but on the Fcat you're sitting, Rev you're standing. Turning/tight twisties I can carry the same speed into the turn with both, but I exit much faster with the Fcat (I would attribute this in part to track 1.375" vs. 1"). I don't lake race much but it's not worth lining up against my buddies Rev's, they're both 600 HO's and even they will tell you the F7 is MUCH quicker and faster. The only real knock that I have on the rev is that after a half a day I was wanting to move to different position. That isn't to say that you wouldn't get used to it and as you rode yourself into shape in the beginning of the year you wouldn't adjust to it, it just wasn't for me. Honest Rev and Fcat riders (you've seen some post here) I think will agree that both sleds are very close, both have had first year issues (that are being addressed) and both will be better next year. End result, you will be happy with either. B)

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have both a Firecat Snopro F5 sabercat edition and a Ski-doo Rev sport 800 with RER.
Wrench wise the cats seem to need more wrenching than Ski-doo's, but both are a pain in the ass to work on compared to standard type sleds.
Both ride different on the trails! The Rev is a very smooth trail machine and the Firecat is not as smooth (of course the snopro suspension is stiffer than S.D. Std. rebuilable shocks) but then in the really rough stuff the Firecat is the winner there.
I feel more comfortable on the Rev - it does not hurt my knees or back after the ride, the F.C. kills my back.
Both do very well in deep snow for short tracks - the edge I think still would go with the F.C. in that department - part of that is because of the clutching.
The 800 engine is smooth, powerfull and driver friendly, the F5 engine is a fast little engine that will keep up with most engines out there, when setup right.
Plugs are cheaper on the cats than S.D. and so are the belts.
oil wise cats oil sucks and s.d. oil is better.
Ski-doo's are harder starting than cats too.
Looks wise the firecats are prettier sled than the Revs.
So I guess in a nutshell - I would take the 800 for trail riding on smooth groomed trails running with other 800's and I would take the Firecat on rough nasty trails or deep snow, climbing conditions with any sled.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Here's what I do; this saves buying a sled and second guessing all season if you made the right choice...
I buy one of each, and go with the smaller engine to save money. No second guessing, and lots of fun to switch around on the newest technology. Next year I may go for the REV 500SS Trail and a Sabercat 500, both about $5,800 each.
Each year I do this and find I end up with one that makes a great tourer for Quebec and one for riding with the guys on weekends. If I just bought one of the above sleds, I know I would be second guessing myself all winter wishing I had instead bought the other.
I am 50, speed is not on my wish list (long as it'll cruise at 70), so the small engines deliver for me. Good luck!
mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mike, that's a great suggestion, and kind of what I have in mind for next year also. with Jane on the GSX and my F7 we should be able to make some great comparisons.

Next winter you and I have to get together for a ride ^_^ B)

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
So Rob does this mean you made your mind up
now instead of this fall?That you will be ordering a new F-7 ?
Just wondering cause you stated you were uncertain ?
Just wondering if you got bit by the Cat bug.........like
most of us here....
Cape Breton Stock................................

·
Registered
4 Posts
Originally posted by caper711cc@Mar 27 2003, 02:24 PM
So Rob does this mean you made your mind up
now instead of this fall?That you will be ordering a new F-7 ?
Just wondering cause you stated you were uncertain ?
Just wondering if you got bit by the Cat bug.........like
most of us here....
Cape Breton Stock................................
well, i'll be on a F7..just not sure if it will be a 04 or my 03. I've got mine pretty well checked out and rebuilt, and it is a lot better shape than my end-of-season ride usually is. So I'm still not sure if I will be ordering a new one yet ;) :lol:

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've got some time on both snowmobiles, so I will add my two cents. Before I got my F5 setup to my pleasing it was an enjoyable snowmobile, but didn't appear to be superior to my old zr500. the ride was better, but the handling was a tradeoff because the F5 exhibited some pushing in the corners---although this should be explained. The push did not cause the snowmobile to drift wide and blow the corner, but the sled would act as if that was going to happen, and then at the last second it would quickly snap around and make the corner. However, now that I have my F5 setup right, it's absolutely astonishing what you can do in the corners. I have never felt as confident on a snowmobile as i have on my F5. even with worn carbides, i could pick as tight a line i wanted to through the tight and twisties. i could easily ride much faster than i could on my F5 without any fear of going wide, blowing the corner, or in any way be the cause of an accident. I never ever worried about being able to hold my line in the corners--rough or smooth.

I also spent some time on the Rev and i too thought it was a great snowmobile. I immediately felt comfortable on it, which i attribute to my small size 5'6" and my experience on a crotch rocket motorcycle :p . So i didn't need any adjustment period to realize that the Rev is a very good handling snowmobile. Also, when hitting dips in the trail or large singular moguls the Rev was much easier on your body as it sort of automatically puts you into a standing position when encountering these obstacles. under the same situation on my snowmobile i'd have to pull myself up on my feet to absorb the impact unless i was already standing, and this is hard on the knees. I will add that while riding the rev i did not push it as hard as i normally would because it wasn't my snowmobile, and i didn't want to risk anything happening to it. but observing one of my good friends ride it, you can see how smoothly it will ride over trail chatter. however, i did notice that he seemed to struggle around the corners slightly when we picked up the pace and drove aggressively. when following behind on my F5 i felt like i would be able to pass easily on the corners, but i didn't, for safety's sake.

Conclusion: I think you should buy the sled that fits your riding style. I'm young and ride aggressively and I was blown away by the flickability, and light, precise handling of the Firecat. however, setup is extremely important to get the best out of this snowmobile and you must use body english around the corners to get the best handling. i think if you want to jump on a sled, expect excellent handling and a great ride, and you ride a little slower and don't use much rider input, you should get a REV. with the rev you could just sit on it and turn, but the faster i went on it, the quicker i felt this sense or control dimishing. it was kinda sketchy feeling at high speeds on a lake and also seemed to wash slightly at fast pace in the corners.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts