Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my F7, but the hardcore in me truly believes that the REV concept is the right direction for sled development. I spend all my time crouched up on the damn gas tank, or standing up. I am never back on the seat. The REV is made for riders like me... sitting in the middle of the teeter totter to minimize the impact of big bumps and balance the sled.

I know the REV has problems (Knee banging, braking, holeshots (WSA to the contrary...), no relief position (aggressive position all the time), etc., etc. >>>>>>>>>>>BUT IT IS HARD TO ARGUE THAT THE CONCEPT IS SOUND FOR HARDCORE RIDING IN ROUGH CONDITIONS.

What if anything do you think cat will do about it.l

·
Premium Member
3,765 Posts
if cat goes to that style,.......i will go gack to the zr's
gesides who wants to be seen on some thing
that god awfull fugley.

·
Registered
60 Posts
If cat does follow, cat will build it better than doo, just my 7 cents. :p

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I just posted on the 700 power topic. I do think the REV is great in very specific conditions but I could not ride one all day. If Cat copies the REV then fine, but I will not be buying one. I ride with a couple of REV owners and we hang with each other in the crap all day, but when we hit the lake or the powder.... SEE YA!! :p

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
The REV is limited in its use. It's great in the rough twisted trails but thats it. (yes I did ride the proto last season) I am 6'4" and feel its too small for me. Like the Yamahas. The Firecat is great- I can stand, ride up on the tank or slide back and cruise all day. The longer track is great too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The rev is a good sled for the semi aggressive rider. It holds you in it's grips and olny lets you ride in that position. It handles the twisty stuff very very well. That is until you really want to push it. The rev will not let you drop a knee and hang off like a f-cat or zr in order to get the center of gravity and weight transfer needed to be real aggressive. I have put about 250 miles(aprox.)on a buddys rev 800. And he on my f7 standard. He trader a 2001 zr600le for his rev. Says he kinda wishes he would have kept it. He flat out admits that his zr was better in tha rough twisty stuff than his rev. We are both aggressive riders and he now knows that when we both get in that competitive mode that he will not hang with my f7! If you spend some time setting an f cat up correctly, it will corner better than any production sled ever made! Even a zr. It tooks some time but it is better than my 2000 zr600 carb and that sled is awsome. Another buddy of mine has a 02 zr500 cross country edition. We ride together alot. We used to enter and exit almost the same line through a corner. After getting my f7 set up, i can always take a tighter line than him. And the best rush of all is exiting the corner squezzing the happy lever. This frikin thing pulls HARD!

·
Registered
696 Posts
Originally posted by outlaw@Feb 19 2003, 08:32 AM
If you spend some time setting an f cat up correctly, it will corner better than any production sled ever made! Even a zr.
How did you set it up? The current stream of "cornering set-ups" isn't working for me. I went back to the factory setting, and am looking to start from scratch. I'm sure others would appreciate your advice too. Thanks! :D

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have yet to ride a REV, but am racing one for MAG Performance this weekend. It is a MXZX 440 race sled and I'll get to do some testing with it by Friday. I am really looking forward to seeing what all the hype is about. I watched another team mate race it a few weekends ago and raced up into the 600 class. He ended up 2nd in the 500 class just being narrowly beat by a set up F5. But let's not forget, this 440 while techincally is a stock machine from the factory is made in limited numbers, only available to racers, has high compression domes and runs on C12 fuel. Anyway I'm just looking forward to being able to have an opinion to the REV set up. It will be hard to convince me of being better than the F7, but if it's better then it's better.....we'll see......................

speedmerchant

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My point isnt' that Cat should copy the REv....it has it's problems...but the concept of moving the rider a bit more forward to me makes sense...you'd need to do it in a more flexible manner, so you still have the option of moving back, stretching legs, hanging it out, etc.

My point is that I think Cat should consider the concept in developing future sleds.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I bet you will see a REV Cat sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I set my suspension up as follow. Limiter straps up about 1 1/4" from the stock hole.(mine did not have extra holes drilled in them.) Front skidframe shock a couple of turns from being rattleing loose. (about 3/4" of thread showing.)
front shocks show 1 1/2" of thread on each side. Rear adj. blocks on #1 setting.(the weakest setting.) The key here is I had all my shocks re-calibrated at about 412 miles. They have been set up for stiffer compression and rebound, not to much on the rebound. Goodwin performance did the shocks. I had my zr set up close to the same. This set up allows for alot of controled suspension travel. If you have studs, I have 153, you will want to run 8" of carbide and keep them in good shape. On top of this, you must realize that this sled was meant to be ridden aggressivly. You need to hang a knee off and toss it into a corner. Once you get this down, this sled will not dissapoint you. The rev on the other hand goes around corners effortlesly but, if you push to hard, the rev really shows you how top heavy it is.
It does not take much for the rev to get away from you. It has a false sence of security. If you ask me, cat is on the right track and the others will follow thier lead. ie, lower center of gravity, narrow track,high tech/high output motor and lightwight chassis.

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
My racing days are over but I think if you want your F7 to handle like the rev in the crap, just put a seat wedge on and add another 3 inch handle bar riser. If you can't afford a seat wedge, just strap a pillow to your a$$.

·
Registered
852 Posts
The main thing with the REV is all the weight is in the center - didn't cat move the engine back to centralize weight also? Just drive further on the seat and it is close right? My buddy has a rev and you limited on how you ride - one position all the time.
Firecat has choices - I'm ordering one for 04

·
Registered
534 Posts
Actually when you think about it. When you stand up or hug the seat since the track is a bit longer, your really sitting pretty much in the middle like a REV when on the Firecat. I have said a couple of times to my friend that I was "revving" it a bit. When I ride the rought stuff and lean forward a bit while standing up.

The sled's longer tail and centralized mass give it some "REV like" characteristics when you WANT, not when AC or Bombardier want. That's the big difference in my opinion. I can pretty much get into a REV position with my feet in the footwells and doing a bit of forward positioning.

One of my favorite foot resting positions is having the feet slightly behind the footwells, below me for easy stand up position. At times I'll have the left foot back a bit more (maybe 3 or 4 inches, than the right foot. With this foot position when I stand up, I can make some lateral adjustments a bit while going around corners and in the rough stuff. (I weigh 135 lbs, of course you might find different foot positions better for your style.) I noticed I was doing this at times when thinking about my feet positions and making slight adjustments in my riding style.

Sometimes, just for fun or because of low visability I ride a LOT more standup than most while trail riding. I do this to AVOID any bone jarring bumps that might make it through the seat. At times I may do as much as 60 to 70% stand up (for perhaps an hour or more.) This is a LOT of standup, and the Firecat makes it easy. Some of it is more for "insurance" purposes against a bump I may not see, rather than because I need to do it. But that's me.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have added 2 or 3 inches of height to my sled seats for years and find it a much better riding position. It automatically pulls you forward on the seat, gives more leeway for leg position, easier to stand when necessary, and just plain easier on old legs (not that my legs are getting old but in case some of yours are). As far as the Rev position, to heck with that. Just raising the seat of an F7 accomplishes the same thing but lets you stretch out to rest the knees when cruising. As far as I am concerned, the Rev is a single purpose sled that gets uncomfortable in a hurry on a long trail. The guys used to laugh at my high seat on my ZR's but when they caught up at the restaurant they were usually more serious. B) :p

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hey ATOMICAT,

Your style of riding sounds exactly like mine. I too find it really beneficial to stand up in the twisties, move one foot slightly behind the other, and drop a knee. It feels almost like an aggressive downhill skiing stance to me. It helps tremendously in the corners to use that extra leverage. I sometimes can't believe how tight of a line I can take in the corners.

I was really curious about the SLP powder pro skis that rob tested however. I still have a little bit of a high speed push. I'm about the same weight, how do you have your sled setup? Any mods?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am with all of you...I ride the same way.. What I'm saying is, I think there is room for improvement on the FCat to facilitate getting more forward on the sled, without the single riding position limitation of the REV. I believe you will see DOO coming out with a mellower REV model that has a "relief" seating position (more room up front to stretch out legs.). I don't like the wedge..have tried it.... up by the tank it only rises you about an inch. raising the entire seat 3 inches sound interesting...how did you accomplish that?

My point is, we need to continue to push Cat to improve this thing...it is afterall setup for hardcores. Saying that it is perfect and that you enjoy sitting on top of a plastic gas tank is short-sighted in MHO.

KJ

1 - 20 of 20 Posts