Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
rode the rev 6 tonight and i have to give credit where credit is doo , the sled is awsome . would i buy one? no, but hey thats just me.

fit and finish - excellent
controls and gauges- excellent
handling- excellent
suspension- fair
ergos- fair
lighting-good
power -good
brakes-excellent
playfulness-good

the things that i disliked are my knees hitting the cowl, the suspension is softer than butter and bottoms even off a little 2 foot jump, and it does not feel as playful as my firecat.
im glad i bought the firecat after riding the doo and even on the real rough stuff the firecat shines better.............this is all my opinion. :blink:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Very good post, I feel about the same as you, in all catagories, I had a chance to ride a rev 8x, very impressed, still would not buy one. Dont like the ride postion, not bad but like the traditional ride postion better.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I've tried both the 600 and 800 REV's. Lots of Doos up here in Canada.
600- handling A+
cornering A+
jumping stability A+
suspension B
ergonomics A (knee problem solved with kneepads)
aesthetics B
motor A (for a 600, she's not much slower than the
F7 top end)
finish A+
Ski-doo has got it right. You can't argue that if you haven't riden one.

My F7- handling A-
cornering B-
jumping stability B
suspension B
ergonomics A-
aesthetics A+
motor A+
finish B

Can't wait for the insightful responses.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Biggistcat I dont know how u can say there close to F7s not even near F7s are running 112-113 mph in 1000ft on radar & Rev 600 are 101-102 in same distance & stays that way to top end Even the new F6 is quicker , not by much but will out pull it

·
Registered
336 Posts
Originally posted by biggestcat@Jan 30 2003, 11:09 PM
I've tried both the 600 and 800 REV's. Lots of Doos up here in Canada.
600- handling A+
cornering A+
jumping stability A+
suspension B
ergonomics A (knee problem solved with kneepads)
aesthetics B
motor A (for a 600, she's not much slower than the
F7 top end)
finish A+
Ski-doo has got it right. You can't argue that if you haven't riden one.

My F7- handling A-
cornering B-
jumping stability B
suspension B
ergonomics A-
aesthetics A+
motor A+
finish B

Can't wait for the insightful responses.
:( I think you're being a little hard on the F7...just my opinion. You can always switch if you're not happy... :ph34r:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Biggestcat,
Where do you ride at? I have an F7 and was looking at the Rev's only because I ride in Tug Hill, which = BUMPS. I love my 7 but if the Rev rides better in the bumps, ......

·
Registered
930 Posts
Originally posted by ZR900SNOWPRO@Jan 31 2003, 07:16 AM
I'M sorry guys but i'm not sold on the f7 YET so i will keep my zr and if they drop them then i might look a buying a rev.
Make sure you ride one first...they are a WORLD of different from your ZR.

·
Registered
208 Posts
My brother has a Rev X 600. On our first trip I traded with him and became very disappointed with my firecat. Then I started adjusting the suspension on the F7. Now I think it rides better than the Rev!

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Originally posted by Culprit@Jan 31 2003, 08:08 AM
Then I started adjusting the suspension on the F7. Now I think it rides better than the Rev!
So what worked for YOU on your suspension adjustments that made such an improvement???

For me, on my std F7 (I weigh 140 lbs) I found that by putting my rear torsion spring cams on the stiffest #3 position, that the sled seemed to take the junk bumps noticeably better, AND it also seemed to steer and handle better as well. Go figure... one of the best improvements I've made to my sled so far! I also am running without coupler blocks. IMO, make sure the rear torsion springs are on the STIFFER side if anything. Based on this, I'd think a much heavier person might want to consider the optional heavier rear springs. Also, when you're on a multi-day sleddin' trip that you're unable to thaw the sleds out, keep in mind how much extra weight is added just from the built up snow and ice in the rear tunnel and suspension -- 10? 15?? 20 lbs or more??? (Maybe even MORE based on the running board ice I've seen on Rob's sled!!!) This is all the more reason to at least consider trying your rear springs in the stiffer settings. I always thought SOFTER was better, but not necessarily so, depending on the many changing condition variables that we're always encountering. I'm always experimenting and learning. LOL... seems to take me about four years to get a sled really dialed-in, but I hope to have my F7 done in one season this time around! -- Roy

·
Registered
780 Posts
Don't believe all the hype on the REV, great machine but it's not perfect either. I have three friends with REV's and they all like the precision of the F-Cat front end better. The stock SKi's on the REV are junk for agressive riders. I love the seating position of the REV, enough to make me almost buy one. But I like the F-Cat's better front end, Narrow track, longer wheelbase and awesome power. The sled is more stable at high speed over bumps as it pitches less and is more stable on jumps. To make mine like a REV I've put on a 6" Riser, will order a 2" higher Boss Flattop seat, use the brackets from the '03 440 to raise the back another 2.5". The seat and the brackets comibined should give about 4.5" in total rise which should make ergo's roughly the same as the REV. To me this will be the ultimate(and still a lot cheaper than a REV).

F-Cat's are basically race sleds, they are very sensitive to adjustments. They can be dangerous to new riders as they are so responsive, but reward the experienced hardcoresledder, the faster you go the better it gets. The REV is more of consumer model that works better at 7/10ths than the F-Cat which works better at 10/10ths.

·
Registered
6 Posts
:lol: Well let me sum up the ski don't... It's motor and clutching is right on, the weight transfer is perfect gets right up and goes with the least amount of traction loss. The suspension is lacking in all areas.. This is a very decieving sled. The suspension does not even come close to the fcat. The only reason you few guy's out there think it is better is because you are standing up. I rode a rev8 for quite sometime in Canada, the reason was that the owner's knees were so sore from riding it that he asked to switch sleds for awhile. So I thought why not it will be fun to try a different sled. It wasn't long after 60 miles that I became very un comfortable on this sled. The Rev you have two choices either sit in that forward position or stand. If you ride a lot of miles you will be dissapointed with the confort level on this sled. I also didn't like the fact that because you are so far over the front of the sled that when hitting jumps or what not you can't tell if you are in the air or not until you land, a little discomforting . To sum it up great sled to play around with in a field or local trails but no where near the level of comfort of the FCAT.... if you are a milage junkie FCAT ALL THE WAY!!!

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i can say this as well to what i posted above , the rev is NOT as good in the rough stuff as the firecat , the rev does not hold a straight line through the junk like the firecat . the firecat at higher speed in the rough is simply the best without a doubt , its just absorbs everything you throw at it and more . the rev does well at slower speeds but when you really get going it seems to dart around more and start to bottom out . this was just my experience , others may not have this problem . i think its because there is to much forward going on in the design of the rev, and when you start to get in the rough it seems nose heavy, i think thats what may be happening with the rev but im not 100% sure yet .
all in all the rev is an awsome sled , but i still prefer my firecat for now . :wub:
also the rev -X models may be better with the better shocks and springs.

·
Registered
200 Posts
John Edwards

I ride up in Thunder Bay, Ontario- Lots of real hardcore sledders up here, and lots and lots of snow just north of here (over 3 feet sitting on the ground).

·
Registered
147 Posts
My dealership sells Arctic Cats. Polaris's and Ski-Doo's
A hardcore Cat driver (F7 snopro Sabercat) is one of the salesman there - just came back from a Ski-Doo show and came back saying if he was going to buy another sled to replace his F7 it would be the Rev 800.
He stated that the it is level landing on jumps, bumps are no problem, turns better than the F7, is more control-able at any speed, fit and finish is much better, they have NO UPDATES OR RECALLS OR COOLANT PROBLEMS.
Myself I am thinking about getting one - Ski-Doo has been working on this sled since 1997, they produced a product that was ready for the public more so than the Firecats - and lets face it will are the test bed for the Firecats.
Will I get rid of my Firecat - NO.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the suspension is not as good as the firecat and at higher speed the rev does not handle the bumps as well, i have ridden it and can honestly say that. the rev darts in rough junk at higher speeds compared to the firecat ........maybe your dealer does not know what really rough is? :p

·
Registered
200 Posts
What's scary, is that Ski-doo comes from Bombardier, and therefore has huge money, technical and manufacturing resources allowing them to capabily leap far ahead of the smaller manufacturers of Polaris and AC. The REV is probably just a hint of what Bombardier is up to. Even Yamaha, if they ever took snowmobiling more seriously, has huge resources to do the same.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Originally posted by biggestcat@Jan 31 2003, 03:18 PM
What's scary, is that Ski-doo comes from Bombardier, and therefore has huge money, technical and manufacturing resources allowing them to capabily leap far ahead of the smaller manufacturers of Polaris and AC. The REV is probably just a hint of what Bombardier is up to. Even Yamaha, if they ever took snowmobiling more seriously, has huge resources to do the same.
I AGREE WITH THIS STATEMENT !!!

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
I think you should consider the problems that Bombardier is facing as a corporation. The majority of it's earnings were/are generated from it's Aerospace division. With the current state of the airline industry in North America (the world really) they are hurting (bad). Not to mention that they are facing issues in their Transportation division (rail cars, trains etc.) They have recently replaced their CEO and are facing some very difficult financial decisions. As a result the are/will be making some very difficult decisions and will probably be very careful where they deploy capital going forward.

The recreational products division only represents a very small part of the company. In addition the products within this division which are experiencing the best growth is ATVs and their recently purchased OMC product line. The snowmobile market is NOT growing!

I think the best we can hope for is that they have a number of products already developed (or almost complete) to continue their recent trend. Items like more SDI engines (VERY IMPORTANT BUT WIDELY OVERLOOKED) and more variations of the REV. All these are things that they would have been working on before the company ran into difficulty. Once these are released it may be quiet from Valcourt for a while. JMO

1 - 20 of 22 Posts