Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, it's not secret that new tracks for older snowmobiles are hard to come by. Has anyone ever thought about "re-vulcanizing" the old tracks in some way? Can they be heated and re-impregnated with rejuvenating chemicals? There's also cold-vulcanizing compounds that are available. Has anyone ever tried this?

Found a site called yourtireshopsupply dot com and they have a lot of stuff. Yes, it's for tires but there are a lot of products on there that I wonder if they could be used to breathe new life into older tracks.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I once had a track that had a large hole ripped in the middle from a pipe just below the snow. The tire shop I use at work was able to vulcanize it. This is a commercial tire shoo that does retreading. They were able to match the tread pretty darn close. This track was only a year old when it happened. Whether or not they could do a trick like that on an old track is another question.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Sounds like it would be a huge pain if even possible. I've got to think new or custom drivers and a modern track would be less hassle

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
My husband had that done in NH, it lasted maybe 400 miles.

Had I believe 3 places they "welded" it.

Replace the track. It's very difficult towing on the rails.

·
Brand loyal, not brand blind
14,644 Posts
So, it's not secret that new tracks for older snowmobiles are hard to come by. Has anyone ever thought about "re-vulcanizing" the old tracks in some way? Can they be heated and re-impregnated with rejuvenating chemicals? There's also cold-vulcanizing compounds that are available. Has anyone ever tried this?

Found a site called yourtireshopsupply dot com and they have a lot of stuff. Yes, it's for tires but there are a lot of products on there that I wonder if they could be used to breathe new life into older tracks.

Thoughts?
Waste of time and money. What sled do you need a track for?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts