Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A very good friend of mine, Bob Barrone, who is also my usual riding partner and happens to be my next-door neighbor was in a bad snowmobile accident. I happened about a week and a half ago on December 27th during his first trip to the UP of the season. He somehow landed very hard hitting his chest on the riser, breaking ribs, puncturing a lung and rupturing his spleen. He was conscious and talking immediately after the crash.

He was airlifted to a trauma center in Wausau, WI. where he had emergency surgery to remove his spleen. He also suffered 7 broken ribs and a punctured/collapsed lung(s). He has now been flown to Mayo Medical Center in Rochester MN (near his home) where he is still heavily sedated and has had another surgery to plate his broken ribs. As of yesterday he was still on a ventilator with hopes of removing that soon.

No one is quite sure how it happened as he was last in a group of three. It was wide open ditch trail - for those of you that know the area, it was on trail 12 heading toward Ontonagon just a couple miles from Pat's Yamaha. In fact they had just left there. The conditions were good and the group was not traveling particularly fast, about 45-50 mph. Bob is a very skilled and experienced rider (I believe he has been riding for about 50 years). No other vehicles were involved, and due to the sedation and intubation no one has been able to question him as to what led to the crash, so it is still a mystery.

Your thoughts and Prayers are needed. Bob is self employed and will probably not be able to work for a long long time - it's going to be a long slow recovery for him. If anyone wants to offer a donation to a fellow snowmobiler in need of help, his family has set up a gofundme page here:https://www.gofundme.com/f/bob-barrone?utm_source=customer&utm_medium=copy_link&utm_campaign=p_cp+share-sheet

We have all done some crazy stuff at one time or another, but remember - bad things can happen to us even when we are doing everything right!
Please be careful out there!

I thank you on behalf of the Barrone family

·
Registered
958 Posts
You got it. I'm sorry to hear about that.

I'm in Rochester as I type this, maybe a mile as the crow flies from St. Mary's Hospital.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
He somehow landed very hard hitting his chest on the riser, breaking ribs, puncturing a lung and rupturing his spleen.
I just said a prayer for you friend Bob. I lost a friend to a ruptured spleen while snowmobiling, and a friend of a friend to a punctured lung also while snowmobiling. So your friend Bob is fortunate to even be alive.

Unfortunately, based on the severity of his injuries, it sounds like Bob was not wearing a TekVest or something equivalent, which probably would have lessened his injuries.

A couple of years ago I was on a smooth, groomed trail which crossed a field, and I too was probably doing 45-50 MPH. Well there was a gradual drainage ditch perpendicular to the trail that I could not see (a hazy day and white on white) and it launched me and my sled about good 50+ feet. I don't know how, but I somehow saved it. My point is that we never know what is down every trail, around the next bend, or over that next blind hill. In addition to dressing for the ride, we all need to dress for the crash.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Prayers to Bob. Lost my brother in law and riding buddy of 25 years last year from similar injuries from hitting a deer on his motorcycle. Punctured lung, spleen and broken ribs. Same thing as your friend, he was talking, walking and good for 10 days then complications from the spleen injury sent him into cardiac arrest which he did not survive.

·
Administrator
20,661 Posts
I'm local to you guys in SE Minnesota ... lots of family and friends who work at Mayo. So this hits close to home, and I hope Bob makes a full, speedy recovery. And I hope when he does recover, he gets right back on that horse and continues to ride.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for the kind words, thoughts, and prayers.

This is the information I received yesterday on his condition:
Bob had a temporary trach placed today to help his lung heal. He is not quite able to breathe on his own yet but he needed to get the breathing tube out. The procedure went very well. He is starting to wake up more. He will probably have to have the trach for at least a week, it all depends on Bob. This is the first step to having him awake! Hopefully from here he can continue strengthening his lung. Baby steps!

...and today I hear he is slowly coming off the sedation and is able to responding to yes or no questions. Nothing else on the most recent CT's, but he was scheduled for more tests sometime today.

No, he was not wearing a TekVest. It is ironic, but from what I understand the group may have been actually looking at them and discussing the pros and cons at the dealership prior to the crash. I believe everyone in our group will now be getting one.

·
Registered
'20 ZR8000 Ltd
3,366 Posts
Thank you all for the kind words, thoughts, and prayers.

This is the information I received yesterday on his condition:
Bob had a temporary trach placed today to help his lung heal. He is not quite able to breathe on his own yet but he needed to get the breathing tube out. The procedure went very well. He is starting to wake up more. He will probably have to have the trach for at least a week, it all depends on Bob. This is the first step to having him awake! Hopefully from here he can continue strengthening his lung. Baby steps!

...and today I hear he is slowly coming off the sedation and is able to responding to yes or no questions. Nothing else on the most recent CT's, but he was scheduled for more tests sometime today.

No, he was not wearing a TekVest. It is ironic, but from what I understand the group may have been actually looking at them and discussing the pros and cons at the dealership prior to the crash. I believe everyone in our group will now be getting one.
Hope your friend heals well

There arent any cons to wearing a vest, mine has saved me from similar injury a couple times.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
153 Posts
As a fellow Minnesotan I hope he makes a full recovery. Bought my 1st vest at the last Hay Days, figured I pushed my luck too many years!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Hope your buddy makes a full recovery.

My good buddy who I'm heading up to ride with starting Sunday crashed on trail 12 not far from there 3 years ago. Wide open trail, last in the group and not going too fast. Best we can figure is he came around a gradual curve and the track slid out, he came across the trail and the left ski caught the grasses off the edge of the trail and tossed him and the sled flipped on top of him and landed upright with very minimal damage. We were the first on the trail that morning and it was icy. He was taken to the hospital in Ontonagon then transported to Wausau as well. He broke 11 ribs (didn't know there were that many) and had a collapsed lung.

·
Registered
757 Posts
From one Bob to another, I hope he makes a full recovery. I've ridden that trail many times. Hope all turns out well for him.

·
Registered
40,093 Posts
Wish you buddy a full recovery to. It sucks to get injured that bad, but there are risks to any motor sport we need to accept whether in our control, or self inflicted.

·
Registered
40,093 Posts
I'm just curious reading how bob's sled apparently crashed if his track was studded. If it was studded it likely could have prevented it from happening.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Your in my prayers.

Bob

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you all again for your kind thoughts and prayers. Also to any of you that have donated to Bob's GoFundMe account.

Bob is steadily improving, here is the report from the family as of last evening:

"Bob had another GREAT day. They decided to keep the neck brace on a little while longer to help things heal.
They started allowing him time off the ventilator to breathe on his own.
When he was off they put a talking cap on and he was able to talk with us.
He said he was ready to get out of the hospital. He doesn’t quite understand the extent of his injuries yet.
Being able to talk with him and hear his voice was something we’ve been waiting for for almost 2 weeks.
Our Bob is slowly coming back. He was cracking jokes and swearing.
He has a lot of recovery left but this was an amazing day. I can’t wait for more progress!

Thanks for all the prayers and encouragement!!! Keep it coming, we appreciate everything! ❤"

-Dan

1 - 20 of 24 Posts