Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to replace my torsen springs on my ZL SS this week. I need to pull the roller off each side, and I'm guessing that I need a puller. I've got plenty of pullers, but the one in the cat repair manual looks different.... like the fingers reach all the way around and put the pressure on the bearing, which makes sense with a plastic wheel. My question is whether anybody has removed these in a different way. I hate to go buy the tool if I can just adapt what I have. I was thinking about putting some plate steel behind there and using a regular puller. Anybody have advice or experience in pulling these without the special puller?

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
That puller is like $130 a dealer might charge half that to put the springs on for you. You would have to know your stuff to fit a backer pate around the shaft grab the bearing and fit a 3 arm puller. A full circle plate bigger than the wheel with a slot cut in it and a split spacer to put on the bearing should do it. Or you can pull the snap ring and take the tire off and just pull the bearing with the 3 arm

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by 720@Jan 27 2003, 01:08 PM
Or you can pull the snap ring and take the tire off and just pull the bearing with the 3 arm
That sounds like a plan. :)

Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I changed mine this weekend and it was a little difficult getting the wheels off. What we did was put a little pressure on the wheel with a 3 jaw gear puller (just until the wheel started to bend). Then beat on the wheel from the back side with a bar. They did not come off too easy, but they did come off without damage. I thought afterwards that a c-clamp used like a gear puller might work.

·
Registered
754 Posts
i took my wheels off three diffrent ways in the past, one way i took off the wheels which was a cat puller that was the easyest way , the other way was take the clip off the wheel then pull the bearing with the puller. ,the other way i took the wheel off in a emergency was i put a wrench over the shaft and between the while and pound it off with a hammer. all three ways worked for me.
sno_pro_500

1 - 5 of 5 Posts