Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well it's time for the end of summer make over on the big kitty. with 3yrs./3500 miles i'm told she needs to have the waterpump and seals replaced. is there any tricks or tips to replacing it? or is it just a straight forward slap the parts in with care job?
i haven't yet called the dealer to see if a kit is available. attached is a pic of the pump assm., will i also need an impeller, or is it a nonwear item?
do i need any other parts than: 5, 6, 7, 12, 14, 27 and 9 if it needs it?

thanks
3holer

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Turbo
3,826 Posts
I replaced mine two years ago, I believe that there is a water pump rebuild kit available so you don't have to buy all the parts separately.

·
Registered
353 Posts
3holercat wrote;

well it's time for the end of summer make over on the big kitty. with 3yrs./3500 miles i'm told she needs to have the waterpump and seals replaced.[/b]
Who told you that??
Do the mod and you're in the game again. My friend have 9400 miles on his -01 TC, done the mod and no problems. Most common is that the impeller gets worn cause of a lose bolt. Fix it!

TC/ZRT = counterbalance mod, broken skirts (pistons) = check, water pump check and fix.

It's like a 350 chevy, big, powerful (as in needs love), always there for you, a relieable friend and absolutly AWESOME =)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Originally posted by x3m@Sep 1 2005, 10:21 AM
3holercat wrote;
Who told you that??
Do the mod and you're in the game again. My friend have 9400 miles on his -01 TC, done the mod and no problems. Most common is that the impeller gets worn cause of a lose bolt. Fix it!

TC/ZRT = counterbalance mod, broken skirts (pistons) = check, water pump check and fix.

It's like a 350 chevy, big, powerful (as in needs love), always there for you, a relieable friend and absolutly AWESOME =)
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=856660
[/quote]
What exactly is the counterbalance mod?Thanks.

·
Registered
864 Posts
You need to replace both the inner and outer seal and the impellar as the outer seal runs against the impellar. Grind .020 off the end of the impellar shaft and use red loctite between the new impellar and the shaft. This stops the impellar from moving on the end of the shaft which is what wears out the seals prematurely. This proceedure was given to me from Dimmerman Bros AC years ago and I have done a half dozen water pumps using it. They all go at least 5K miles after doing them this way. I know of no kit. All you need are 2 seals and the impellar at about $65-$75. I reuse the formed "o"rings that seal the body pieces although they are cheap. I need ot do mine this fall too. It's been about 5k miles and it started to leak a little last spring.

·
Banned
10,423 Posts
Originally posted by fastcat800@Sep 7 2005, 10:32 PM
You need to replace both the inner and outer seal and the impellar as the outer seal runs against the impellar.  Grind .020 off the end of the impellar shaft and use red loctite between the new impellar and the shaft.  This stops the impellar from moving on the end of the shaft which is what wears out the seals prematurely.  This proceedure was given to me from Dimmerman Bros AC years ago and I have done a half dozen water pumps using it.  They all go at least 5K miles after doing them this way.  I know of no kit.  All you need are 2 seals and the impellar at about $65-$75.  I reuse the  formed "o"rings that seal the body pieces although they are cheap.  I need ot do mine this fall too.  It's been about 5k miles and it started to leak a little last spring.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=865159
[/quote]
holer,,,,do the above with updated plastic impeller and as smooth as the triples are, you shouldn't have to do it again(unless you plan on keepin this sled til they put you in a retirement home :wut60: )

·
Registered
940 Posts
I don't think any water pump seal replacement is necessary. I think the mod that was talked about is adding a grease nipple to the outer case at the counterbalancer gear drive location. The reason the seals go is that the bearings are dry in the counterbalance shaft, they do not get oil from the crank and are packed in grease from factory. :beerchug: :beerchug:

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
There is a tool kit (0644-084) you can buy (I think around $80) for installing the seals. Is the seal (white) that pushs into the back of the water pump replaceable? I can't find a p/n for it or does it come with the impeller?

Auggie

·
Registered
2013 Turbo
3,826 Posts
Originally posted by Auggie@Sep 13 2005, 09:43 AM
There is a tool kit (0644-084) you can buy (I think around $80) for installing the seals. Is the seal (white) that pushs into the back of the water pump replaceable? I can't find a p/n for it or does it come with the impeller?

Auggie
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=872514
[/quote]

You really don't need the tool kit, you can install the seals using sockets.

I believe that it DOES come with the new impeller.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
don't forget to get the rubber gasket washer that goes on the bolt that holds
the impeller on. and put locktight on that bolt and tighted to specs. that stupid little washer caused me a winter of headaches before i figured it out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts