Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 XF800 137
4,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2008 F8 Sno Pro is alittle stiff in the rear end with the spring blocks in the lightest setting, can they be removed?
My past Firecat 7 Sno Pro I put in the standard springs for a softer ride, this is not an option on the F series to my knowlege.
Is there an official kit to remove the spring blocks?
Thanks for the input, Les......

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Have you loosened your front skid shock yet? I have mine backed off all the way just about. I too thought the sled was a little stiff with the rear on the lightest setting. Now it seems much better. My thinking is this, with the more rider forward position, you are using the front spring a lot more in the light stuff. Then the rear springs are coming more into play in the big stuff. Which in the big stuff it's great. Even with the front loosened up, the front ski pressure is still great. I also threw the coupler blocks to I. I weigh about 218 plus gear.
If you haven't loosened the front skid spring, I suggest giving it a shot. I really liked it.

Never heard of totally removing the triangle.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Have you loosened your front skid shock yet? I have mine backed off all the way just about. I too thought the sled was a little stiff with the rear on the lightest setting. Now it seems much better. My thinking is this, with the more rider forward position, you are using the front spring a lot more in the light stuff. Then the rear springs are coming more into play in the big stuff. Which in the big stuff it's great. Even with the front loosened up, the front ski pressure is still great. I also threw the coupler blocks to I. I weigh about 218 plus gear.
If you haven't loosened the front skid spring, I suggest giving it a shot. I really liked it.

Never heard of totally removing the triangle.[/b]
I don't understand?? your loosening the front spring in your rear skid to make it softer?? I've noticed on my cats over the years that I always wished the spring on the rear skid in the front was stiffer cause when you hit bumps and that part of the suspension bottoms it is such a jolt to the whole sled and me!!! I think that is part of the reason that the crossfires tunnels were bending too, if you ever followed that fiasco? But I don't know jack about sled suspensions.. wish I knew.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Yes, the front spring in the rear skid. I know what you mean coming off my ZR. But my dealer told myself and a friend of mine to do this and try it out. Said they had good luck with it. THis spring and shock combo is stiff, plus, like I said, with the rider forward position, you are distributing more weight over the front shocks AND the front skid spring in combination. When you look at where you sat at on a Firecat, or ZR, most of your body weight was over the rear springs, and front skid spring. I have yet to feel like the front has bottomed out on this sled.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Yes, the front spring in the rear skid. I know what you mean coming off my ZR. But my dealer told myself and a friend of mine to do this and try it out. Said they had good luck with it. THis spring and shock combo is stiff, plus, like I said, with the rider forward position, you are distributing more weight over the front shocks AND the front skid spring in combination. When you look at where you sat at on a Firecat, or ZR, most of your body weight was over the rear springs, and front skid spring. I have yet to feel like the front has bottomed out on this sled.[/b]
see, alot of times I wil recognize the kinds of bumps coming up that will really jolt the sled in the front part of the suspension and just back off to save the sled!!!
my 03 f7 was really scary in those kinds of bumps because we had those big drivers hanging out there and getting into the mix too!!lol.. the f10 is ten times better in this kind of a scenario but it is still there.

·
Premium Member
20,503 Posts
I have seen guys remove the rear springs and have one or both arms "bent" in a press. Likley a good way to ruin springs if you don't know what angle of a bend your going for but its an option.

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
My 2008 F8 Sno Pro is alittle stiff in the rear end with the spring blocks in the lightest setting, can they be removed?
My past Firecat 7 Sno Pro I put in the standard springs for a softer ride, this is not an option on the F series to my knowlege.
Is there an official kit to remove the spring blocks?
Thanks for the input, Les......[/b]
The rear arms springs are the same on the SP and STD. You can put the STD front arm spring on the SP. That's how I rode last year and it was fine except I had to leave the blocks out to keep the transfer. This year I have lighter rear arm springs installed. Dan from ODS got them for me. I want to try and put the blocks back in now.

·
Premium Member
2014 XF800 137
4,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The rear arms springs are the same on the SP and STD. You can put the STD front arm spring on the SP. That's how I rode last year and it was fine except I had to leave the blocks out to keep the transfer. This year I have lighter rear arm springs installed. Dan from ODS got them for me. I want to try and put the blocks back in now.[/b]
Looney the 2008's received dual rate front arm springs 90/250 (std, LXR), 100/250 (Sno Pro’s).
I understand there is now lighter rear springs available in the black and white assy catalog, I will get them form Dan.
Thanks Les.....

·
Premium Member
2014 XF800 137
4,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you loosened your front skid shock yet?
Never heard of totally removing the triangle.[/b]
Yes, I'm down to 1/4" threads exposed.

·
Premium Member
2014 XF800 137
4,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I found a set of lighter springs now offered from AC, 1704-354 and 1704-355 .375 wire.

·
Premium Member
1,819 Posts
I found a set of lighter springs now offered from AC, 1704-354 and 1704-355 .375 wire.[/b]
The spring blocks on their lightest setting are only about 1/10th of an inch thick. Removing them wouldn't help much.

Hey Super 8, have you tried those lighter springs yet? Did they help?

·
Premium Member
2014 XF800 137
4,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The spring blocks on their lightest setting are only about 1/10th of an inch thick. Removing them wouldn't help much.

Hey Super 8, have you tried those lighter springs yet? Did they help?[/b]
I have not ridden it yet, I believe Looney has a set in, he might have more info.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts