Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i wanna remove the rear skid on my girlfriends 99 xc 700 to check the limiter straps (put them back in stock locations ) check for cracks in all the metal , corrosion , and check the shocks . i also want to take a look at her idler wheel bearings. anyone have some instructions on how to do this ?........if it involves removing the gears from the chaincase can someone also explain the mechanical reverse thing too . :dunno:

i just don't wanna pay an arm and a leg that i really don't have when i could do it myself , take my time , and learn something new while i am at it :div20:

( i think if i can change my own head gaskets , intake manifold gaskets , and transfer case on my 94 chevy truck then i can handle this )

just need to point me in the right direction :banana:

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I think you can search on my posts....I asked the same last year.... Tip: Dont break off the rear pivot mounts. :banghead:

·
Registered
17,159 Posts
Not difficult to take out an x-tra-10 skid. It'il be nice to have access to a hoist and an air impact wrench to loosen and get out the skid bolts.
Release the track tension, take out the 4 bolts , and the susp is free. just wiggle it out of the track.
BTW, the front arm in both in my xc and xcr cracked and needed welding, so inspect it closely.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[attachment=106078:attachment][attachment=106077:attachment][attachment=106076:a
tachment][attachment=106075:attachment][attachment=106074:attachment][attachment
106073:attachment][attachment=106072:attachment][attachment=106071:attachment][a
tachment=106070:attachment][attachment=106069:attachment][attachment=106068:atta
hment]alrighty i got the skid out , wasn't hard at all . my little tool shed is actually more usefull than i thought. i just hung the back end from the roof. no problem there!

The skid is really stiff , i can't get it to bend or flex at all . i dunno if maybee the rear shock needs to be rebuilt , or if it is because the straps are as tight as they go ? can someone help me return this set up back to normal or to have a little bit of weight transfer ?

btw......i know i might need to losen the straps front and back some , but if you look at the pictures below , there isn't really alot of threads on the end of the strap looseners so i don't know what to do ? :dunno:

any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

·
Brand loyal, not brand blind
15,148 Posts
your front limiter straps are close to being all the way out now.if you tighten those bolts the straps will be shorter, you will then get more ski pressure and less front track pressure. as the straps are now you are getting almost max front track pressure

at the rear move the 2 rear black plastic blocks back to the lower hole for more weight transfer, leave the rear strap alone

·
Registered
416 Posts
If the skid is stiff, remove the shocks and grease the skid checking for any binding at all. Maybe while your this far, take it all apart check for excessive wear, and clean and repaint the steel parts. I have to do this to my '01 this year.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
can you explain what you mean by max track pressure ? this is the way the sled was when i got it last year , i would like a little more weight tranfer out of it cause it really don't get the ski's off the snow at all when you nail it. it is my fiancee's sled and she compained all last year about it being a really rough ride and having no give to it. i second that , cause after riding my 04 xc 800 i hated hers. :dunno: ?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
can't seem to get the front shock off ? i i can''t get the bottom bolt out that is between the two wheels ? :banghead:

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Tightening any of the straps is going to restrict suspension travel. Not good unless all else fails - last resort. As mentioned earlier, you might try moving the rear scissor stops back (for transfer/delayed coupling). Also, to try and get some weight on the skis, remove all preload from the center (front of skid) spring. Other than that, make sure everything is free to move, not broken (check front trailing arm close) or corroded/frozen up. You can test (kinda) to see if suspension is frozen. With machine assembled put anyone on the sled, then second person steps on the rear bumper. Rear of sled should go nearly all the way to the ground smoothly, recover to near original height when weight is removed.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
There should be a hole in the wheels to stick the lower shock bolt through. Otherwise, if it's mounted on a linkage, try rotating it to free the bolt from the wheel. I'd examine all bushings. The X-10s had a history of binding when the cross-shaft bushings would wear out. Binding = shitty ride.

Unless the sled is pushing a lot or transferring too much weight, leave the limiters alone. The GenII was a shitty skid for weight Xfer, so I wouldn't think the latter would be true.

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
6,145 Posts
I think that the rear shock is installed wrong. The shaft eyelet mounting on top of the rear torque arm and above the shock rods seems okay.

The other end of the shock (White Fox Polaris Position Sensitive), towards the front of the sled, is installed on that swinging bracket (2 U shaped flat pieces of metal connected by a short greasable tube that Polaris calls a shock arm). It should be positioned ABOVE, the lower end of the front torque arm, not below it. It has swung down below where it should be.

I also agree with others that you should disassemble, remove the corrrosion and grease all the moving/pivoting surfaces on that suspension. The rear PPS shock might also need rebuilding, the front track shock may not be rebuildable.

·
Registered
17,159 Posts
While you're at it , I would dismantle the skid completely , so you can get out the center idlers and center shock.
When you get out the shocks , you can compress them by hand to see if they compress and rebound smoothly. My guess is that they won't,
I have seen shocks that were full of water , and almost completely locked up.

·
Registered
17,159 Posts
ExcursionPSD,
as far as I can see , the shock is mounted correctly in the front.
I had what you describe happen to my edge skid. On the xtra-10 , the link will swing down when the rear shock compresses.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
First thing I would do and release the pressure on the rear springs, then try to compress the shock. I will give you a call when I get home. If you figure it out, great if not I will try and help.
I will be at home 5:30pm cst
Hopefully you figure it out by then :)

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
alrighty , here is an update , i got both shocks off (the front shock was tough cause i had to take off the 2 bolts on the sides of the skid that has a shaft through 2 wheels. the trick was to break both sides free and then slowly undo both sides at once , if i took one side out and they try to take the other side out the bolt would just go around and around and not come out. the rear shock if i push it all the way in it will gradually go all the way back up in 5 seconds ? seem right ? now the front shock i couldn't even compress the thing at all? :dunno:

i took out the 2 wheels at the top of the skid, and took out the shaft and there was alot of greese on it , nothing wrong there , there wasn't really anything coroded at all but there was one spot that i used some skotch brite on and some wd-40 and it moves a TON better now. some bearings move great and have no noise , some move good , but you can hear the balls in them ? sounds like turning a rollerblade wheel , i honestly don't know if they are supposed to be silent or not ? :dunno:

and last but not least , going by what ivar said , i think the main problem might be that there is some big ass springs on this sled , the rear springs are pretty damn thick and i have to tug pretty good to get them to move. , and the front shock seems to be pretty thick too . i think a fat ass must have owned this thing before my girlfriend lol. she is only about 130 so i need to make it more suited for her :div20:

the only thing left to really go over tommorow is how to get the rear of the suspension to move tommorow , the front all moves freely , but i can't get the bars behind the back shock to move at all , maybee it's because of the stiff springs but i dunno. where is there supposed to be pivot points ? so i can look to make sure there is no corrosion.

thanks guys lol , sorry for the BOOK :frech32: :frech32:

·
Registered
17,159 Posts
Those sleds had a really stiff front spring in the skid, something like #180 or #200. From what i remember , the 99 XC (non SP) did not have that FOX PPS in the rear as stock, could be that the rear springs are swapped out too.
(I swapped out the front spring for a #140, it was a little on the light side for me at #210. I guess a #160 would be just about right for me.)

Re: the shocks, your rear shock sounds ok, but the front one is locked up. Not sure if its rebuildable. Is it black painted steel?

Like Racer254 says, unhoking the rear springs will let you see if the rear arm moves like it should.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yeah , i need to somehow get the spring off the front shock to check it , yes it is steel and painted black , i took off the big rear springs and all the parts that should move do move ; only problem keeping it from moving alot is the big springs.

near the front of the skid the top mounting bolts that cross shaft was stuck in there good with no grease at all. took that out , sanded it down some and filled it with grease and now it is much better.

the skid has been 100% taken apart and put back together, just waiting on what to do about the front shock , and maybee the springs , the rear shock is getting rebuilt as we speek :div20:

·
Registered
17,159 Posts
No threads on the front shock, right? Jusk a spring collar on the top?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts