Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have to take my rear skid out to rebuild the shocks and do an overall check up on it. is there anything i should know about or some helpful hints before i start this job??

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
You need to have a thin 7/8 wrench to get the rear bolts out. Other then that it's the same as taking out any other skid. Polaris sells a wrench just for this. I bought a cheap 7/8 and took it to the grinder. Some guys use needle nose pliers. I tried the pliers once. :banghead: Much easier with a 7/8. :beerchug:

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
6,618 Posts
Originally posted by nickels@Sep 6 2005, 08:59 PM
You need to have a thin 7/8 wrench to get the rear bolts out. Other then that it's the same as taking out any other skid. Polaris sells a wrench just for this. I bought a cheap 7/8 and took it to the grinder. Some guys use needle nose pliers. I tried the pliers once. :banghead:  Much easier with a 7/8.  :beerchug:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=863513
[/quote]
Not really like any other Polaris skid. The font torque arm is attached to the tunnel with a 7/16"-20 bolt and a nylock nut on each side. I believe a 5/8" wrench will hold the nut.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
The rear bolts are locktited. If you heat the bolt head with a propane torch it will turn a lot easier. A Snapon 7/8 open end has a thin enough profile to do the job without grinding the wrench.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Originally posted by Alleycat35@Sep 7 2005, 11:34 AM
The rear bolts are locktited. If you heat the bolt head with a propane torch it will turn a lot easier. A Snapon 7/8 open end has a thin enough profile to do the job without grinding the wrench.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=864199
[/quote]

You must use heat! Trust me!

Jeff

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I would also suggest that you release the rear springs so that you can compress the rear arm. It makes it a bit easier to remove. I almost never loosen the rear axle but I would suggest that you loosen the axle to ease removal.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
You need a 7/8 in thin wrench or grind one to use on the inside tunnel nuts.
They are factory loctited and are very tight....heat and keeping a good grip on the inside wrench is advised.

Also...there are no cross shafts in these skids and pay attention to the order of how the brass sleeves that hold the skid bolts in place go...many have inquired on here how they go back in once they are out.
The Polaris factory service manual has a typo about it as well as an incorrect illustration too!
If you pay attention when taking it apart it will be obvious how they go back in.

Looosen the rear axle tensioner bolts and wheels and unspring the rear torsion springs and it is a breeze.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Put the sled on its side to remove and install the skid. You won't believe how easy it goes in and out while on its side. Absolutely to pulling or prying....the holes just line right up for an easy install!!

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
i must not do it right when putting sleds on there side. always gas leaking out and it wants to roll over all the way!

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I have not had a sled on its side in at least 6 years and never have trouble getting the skid out. I use a hoist. You can use a chain fall as well but you need to get it very high.

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
Originally posted by n2oiroc@Sep 8 2005, 10:23 PM
where do you put the 2x4?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=866823
[/quote]
If I need to lay the sled on it's side I just lay a 2x4 flat and lay the sled on that so the side doesn't come in contact with the concrete. Where you lift your hood up. Put the board about a foot in from there. You understand what I'm saying? Kind of hard to explain.

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
Originally posted by jbshocks@Sep 9 2005, 08:59 AM
I have not had a sled on its side in at least 6 years and never have trouble getting the skid out.  I use a hoist.  You can use a chain fall as well but you need to get it very high.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=867155
[/quote]
Thats usually what I do as well. Always for taking it out. I find it easier to lay it on it's side to put it back in if I'm by myself. :beerchug:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts