Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I already run pre-mix in my other sled I am wanting to remove the oil injection system from my F7. Does anyone know if there are blocker plates available? What is used on the 440s? Thanks

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was used to save weight? Not sure what you are saying? In any case I don't want to argue whether you should or should not remove. I have ran pre-mix in every bike and sled I have ever owned and just want to know if like on my Doo, there is a blocker plate available from the manufacture for racing purposes. Thanks

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok sorry I guess I should help clarify for you. I DON'T ride 300 miles a day, in fact it is tough to go through one tank of gas in a day of riding in the back country. That may not be "hardcore" in your book but if you ever come to CO please let me know and I will be happy to alter that point of view :) If you wish to start a thread debating whether or not oil injection should or should not be removed please do so

PS I am not "shitting" you lol

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would not remove it on an efi sled if it was mine,
if your are going to go to carbs then there would not
be any problems,efi dont like oil in the injection system,
even at 100-1 for breakin some people are having some
issues.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
papi thx for the intelligent response. So help me understand why efi would not like oil? The only difference that I can see between running premix or not is that pre-mix would in effect lean the fuel/air mixture? My thoughts are that since the ethanol switch adds an additional 3% fuel to the mixture and that running 32/1 pre-mix displaces approximately 3% or the fuel thus leaning the mixture by the same amount, that it would be a wash. I don't think having oil in the fuel is going to harm the injectors? Why would it? I also don't think think that having 3% of your fuel being replaced by oil is going to significantly alter it's viscocity to the point it would make any difference. The bigger question IMHO is whether Cat motors rely on the oil pump to supply oil to bearings or other load carrying surfaces. My Ski-Doo did not but I understand that Polaris do. Thanks for the feedback and let me know your thoughts.

·
Premium Member
1,819 Posts
From what I understand the smart valves in the fuel tank will plug up if you run to much oil in the gas. Some guys are having trouble with 100:1 premix let alone trying 50:1.

·
Premium Member
13,948 Posts
The only problem with running premix in an efi sled is the leaning down of the mixture. I ran my f7 at 50:1 in the tank saturday, after a blown belt sheared off the oil line in the middle of no where. Luckly I had a 12er of blue in my back pack, after drinking one I cut the top off of the can, tiped the sled on its mag side to dump oil from the resivor into the "measuring cup" 3 beer cans of oil for an almost full tank shake well and ride it like you stole it.

Krom

·
Registered
79 Posts
Originally posted by duke1n@Dec 8 2002, 10:21 AM
I don't think having oil in the fuel is going to harm the injectors? Why would it? I also don't think think that having 3% of your fuel being replaced by oil is going to significantly alter it's viscocity to the point it would make any difference.
Consider the effects fuel has in your float bowl over the summer months. All gummed up and green if not looked after properly. Any oil breaks down over time and also leaves deposits. This is only amplified during an engine hot soak. Deposits will form on the injector pintle over time. Even the additives in fuel cause deposits to form on injectors. The filter screen at the top of the injector is very fine and any additives to the fuel can plug this also up.

I say these all from experience. Not just something I thought up. I would not recommend removing the oil injection on your F7 and running oil through the injectors. The way the rest of the engine receives oiling, I haven't looked into that and cannot give you an educated answer.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hahaha firecatsnopro my guess is your riding skills don't come close to your comedic skills which aren't that great my friend lol. Come on out to CO where we have some pretty decent snow already and we'll test my theory ;)

Larry good points although do you really think there is such a thing as a screen that would plug up from gas/oil mixture that contains 3% oil? Maybe I don't know...

Krom I agree it would lean it down but I think my reasoning about running the ethanol switch on which increases fuel by 3% addresses that issue? Do you?

In any case I appreciate all the replies but I am going to proceed. I'll let you know whether it worked or not. Thx

Here's a couple pics of mine and a friend's Doo which ran premix all year with no problems. Yes they are carbed but also utilize the DPM system which everyone said would cause problems when running pre-mix. Sometimes you just have to forge ahead and be willing to face the consequences if you are wrong :)

http://www.summitx.com/images/20mar02_4.jpg
http://www.summitx.com/images/20mar02_5.jpg

·
Registered
962 Posts
So if you blow your motor are you going to throw the injection system back in and get a new one?

I`ll give you credit for having the balls to try it. But after seeing some of your picts I think your balls grow everyday.

Good luck!! KEEP US POSTED.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hahaha no I'm going to have my dealer do it. He is checking to make sure that the pump is not not used to lube bearings. That would be the only stopper at this point.

It's like my dealer said about my Doo... It's not hard too tell if you blew your motor up because you ran it without oil or too lean of jetting or it had a defect. Believe me I will be paying attention to plugs and piston wash.

·
Registered
879 Posts
My dealer told me the use of a mixture heavier than 100:1 will clog the injectors. Don't know for fact, just my $0.05.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Some people just love to make things complicated. Oil injection is so easy, and it's setup and ready to go.
This machine is not setup and never will be, because of the fuel injection to run straight premix!
It won't make it faster or fly higher!
Just because all your other stuff is premixed, seems to me a poor excuse!
PS. we ride snowy range quite a bit, you can come up for riding lessons sometime.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
"It won't make it faster or fly higher!"

Are you sure about that? LMAO!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts