Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Removing electric start.......Can I remove the ring gear from primary or will primary be out of balance..?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Sure, you can remove it. Balance will not be affected. The primary is spin balanced before the ring gear is put on, so its set to go.

You'll need to pull the primary, of course, you will see the ring gear is held to the primary with 6 taper-headed screws. I have seen them in Torx, Allen, and Phillips heads. Hope that they are Torx or Allens. NOTE: They are installed with red Loctite, which means they need heat to be removed! A propane torch on each one for 10 seconds or so will soften the Loctite, then remove the screw. DON"T try to remove the screws without a little heat first....they won't come out and you'll just ruin the heads with the tool.

Reinstall the primary and you're good to go.

·
Registered
6,951 Posts
I pulled my kids e start out of his sled and pulled the primary last night
I tryed to pull the gear off and 1st screw came out fine, then broke 2 socketed allen heads "cheapies" and then started to heat the screw bosses, and found I was out of allen heads.. Off to sears for some more socketed allen heads to try again

With some heat..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts