Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys- I know someone out there has the secret. What's the easy way to get that dang big old airbox off my 02 800?? I need more room go get my grubs in there to check things over and to put in reeds. Just plain old not enough room without a lot of cussing and bloody knuckles with it on there. (I've tried) :blink:

Thanks

Chico

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
The same way you get the clutches off................cutting torch or chainsaw!

·
Registered
128 Posts
LOL! Oh man I hate them damn airboxes, I do recomend a husquvarna chainsaw they get the job done well :lol:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Seriously though, I dont know how different the 2002 is from my 97 but the airbox is a pain in the ass to take out and put back in on mine. There is like no trick to it, the only trick I do with mine is take off the coolent hose so there is enough room to slide out the plate with the fuel pump on it out to get the whole thing out. Im pretty sure they changed how this is mounted on newer models so you dont have to worry bout that. Just remember where all the wires are routed, and if possible route em so its a little easier to work the airbox just make sure none of them make contact with the steering columm or the jackshaft because those will wear the wires out. Good luck chico

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just recently put reeds in my 02 800 efi and your right, there is no room , I got the reeds in without taking out the air box with a lot of cussing and a couple of bleeding knuckles. I didn,t take out the air box because I thought it would be to much work. I managed the hole thing in about 2 1/2 hrs . It was a bitch to get the throttle body out of the way to get at my reeds to change them, with a little fussing around everthing worked out o.k. It was alot easier to put things back after you learned a few things.

good luck !!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Take the box out- your talking about 20 min to not have to deal with scuffed knuckles and high blood pressure. We had to do it to do a on the spot jetting change. You have to disconnect all the wires and move the cdi box wire off to the side. The room you will have to work with after is well worth it plus you can be sure that the boots are all the way around the carbs if you have that model. Good luck. B)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts