Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
40,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like title says....can anyone recommend a reliable one? This is my 2nd one in 4 years. Found out both were built in the same Wisconsin plant just rebadged and sold under another name. Both rated the same. I diagnosed the compressor that has failed again. Parts are in warranty but labor is out. Company that sold it is about 90 miles away, and they will send one of their lackey's for a $135 charge to pick it up if i give him a hand to lift it in his van. Told them i'll deliver it to them if i decide to fix this pos again. They then informed me it'll be a month or so as they have to put it on a pallet and ship back to the wisconsin plant where it will get the same compressor that crapped out, plus there will be roughly a $400 plus labor charge for changing out the compressor, and shipping back charges. I ask where does the madness end.

·
Registered
2021 VR1 850!! In 137"
1,180 Posts
Like title says....can anyone recommend a reliable one? This is my 2nd one in 4 years. Found out both were built in the same Wisconsin plant just rebadged and sold under another name. Both rated the same. I diagnosed the compressor that has failed again. Parts are in warranty but labor is out. Company that sold it is about 90 miles away, and they will send one of their lackey's for a $135 charge to pick it up if i give him a hand to lift it in his van. Told them i'll deliver it to them if i decide to fix this pos again. They then informed me it'll be a month or so as they have to put it on a pallet and ship back to the wisconsin plant where it will get the same compressor that crapped out, plus there will be roughly a $400 plus labor charge for changing out the compressor, and shipping back charges. I ask where does the madness end.

IDK what size a place you are working with but for less than 4k I got a mini split made by fujitsu that has a dry mode and keeps my 1800 sq ft garage at 72 degrees and 50% humidity all summer for 3 summers now. Runs a fuck of alot cheaper than any dehumidifier as well.

·
Registered
40,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We've had the dehumidifier specd. out needing to be at least 150 pints. It sits in a 4' sealed basement taking care of the entire house. From what i've found out many others have had similar issues with this company. Apparently they are just about the only game in town that manufactures these commercial rated dehumidifiers. Originally i had 4 of the average room dehumidifiers running but they were not nearly enough. Been looking at a dri-eaz mgr 3500i...which appears vastly different from what we've had.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I also have the same infamous dehumidifier as you. The compressors are not going bad by themselves, the control system is too stupid to know its out of refrigerant so the compressor keeps running when its low and burns itself out if you don't catch it right away. I started mine this year and it ran for a few hours, I checked the system pressure after realizing it wasn't doing anything and its almost zero. They use cheap tubing in the system and they are prone to leaks. I had a friend braze in a service port on mine a few years ago (and fix a leak) so I can at least keep it running a while longer once I find the current leak.
Is yours tied into the house ductwork or just free blowing in the basement area?

·
Registered
40,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also have the same infamous dehumidifier as you. The compressors are not going bad by themselves, the control system is too stupid to know its out of refrigerant so the compressor keeps running when its low and burns itself out if you don't catch it right away. I started mine this year and it ran for a few hours, I checked the system pressure after realizing it wasn't doing anything and its almost zero. They use cheap tubing in the system and they are prone to leaks. I had a friend braze in a service port on mine a few years ago (and fix a leak) so I can at least keep it running a while longer once I find the current leak.
Is yours tied into the house ductwork or just free blowing in the basement area?
Its just blowing its filtered air into the basement. We live just off the lakes waterfront so its very humid down there...the company that sealed the basement installed the dehumidifier that drains into a pump unit that then goes to the basements sump pump. When it works all is great.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I'm all ears on this topic. I'm on the fourth repair in five years. They did replace the entire unit on the second repair. Pretty sure it is the same company from what you are saying. I also get the luxury of part replacement, but no labor. It seems to be cheap tubing as mentioned.
I have mine tied into the ducting.
Saddest part is that they work fantastic when they work. I'd love to find one that lasts.

·
Registered
40,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm all ears on this topic. I'm on the fourth repair in five years. They did replace the entire unit on the second repair. Pretty sure it is the same company from what you are saying. I also get the luxury of part replacement, but no labor. It seems to be cheap tubing as mentioned.
I have mine tied into the ducting.
Saddest part is that they work fantastic when they work. I'd love to find one that lasts.
Yep, when i called the company to speak with a tech, he told me they would send any part to me under the warranty. Problem is there's no one in the area that will work on this unit that involves installing a new compressor...it must go back to where it was manufactured. Thats sucks. I wish their was a place nearby that made better ones or has a dealer network.

·
Registered
40,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just got back taking my pos dehumidifier to killing worth ct. where they will take care of it. Spoke with the company that manufactured it...agree to send whatever parts needed no charge to these guys. Hopefully on my brothers recommendation their good.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am using a megadry CS70 in a large 1200 SF crawl space. My house is lake side and had mold problems. After a complete spray down with white vinegar i installed the dehumidifier which has kept moisture levels under control. It has been flawless for the last 5 years. Mold gone!

·
Registered
40,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am using a megadry CS70 in a large 1200 SF crawl space. My house is lake side and had mold problems. After a complete spray down with white vinegar i installed the dehumidifier which has kept moisture levels under control. It has been flawless for the last 5 years. Mold gone!
I checked it out...way too small for our needs would have to be rated for twice the size. We never had any mold issue's just excessive humidity thats causing water to drip down the walls, and stone fireplace of 2 large rooms that have cathedral ceilings. Other room aren't quite as bad. Seems the company we've now got builds the same rated dehumidifiers for several different companies that rebadge's them under those companies name.

·
Premium Member
13,929 Posts
Install a ductless minisplit with inverter driven compressor.
It will dehumidify, air condition, and heat all extremely efficiently

Reactions: Stoffel57

·
Registered
164 Posts
There's not enough heat gain in the basement for a mini split to dehumidify properly. You would overcool the space and then have a cold wet basement, especially with the amount of moisture he is looking to draw down in this case.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I checked it out...way too small for our needs would have to be rated for twice the size. We never had any mold issue's just excessive humidity thats causing water to drip down the walls, and stone fireplace of 2 large rooms that have cathedral ceilings. Other room aren't quite as bad. Seems the company we've now got builds the same rated dehumidifiers for several different companies that rebadge's them under those companies name.
I can’t imagine a case where you need that much dehumidification.. Are you living in a swamp or rain gutter? What is the big secret model you are using that is failing?

I run this mega dry at 25% capacity and it has been more than adequate. You can get larger models from crawlspace depot, or you could run 2 units I suppose. But dang I would solve the water problem first..

or move!

·
Registered
40,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Install a ductless minisplit with inverter driven compressor.
It will dehumidify, air condition, and heat all extremely efficiently
I understand what your stating, but this wasn't recommended by the guys that spec. our house out. It would be fine for the summer months, but we were told not so much the rest of the year, especially if going on vacation for an extended time. They told us the issue starts in the crawl space basement where this big dehumidifier has to sit. There's no way they could recommend otherwise for our needs.

·
Registered
40,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is exact model I have. It may no longer be made though. Glad I bought it when I did.

It looks similar to what we have but 1/2 the size. I think yours is rated for around 70-75 pints. We need one rated over double that (150 or better). Our unit sits up on cement blocks.
also how can you have that much moisture and no mold problems?
We had the entire house remodeled a few years ago because of this on going problem...contractors were surprised also to find no mold inside or outside the walls. Without the dehumidifier in that crawl space of a basement you'll get brown water stains streaking down the walls

·
Registered
41 Posts
What is the source for all the water?

You’re not likely getting that volume from moist air alone. Ground water drainage? Checked your rain gutters? Gutter discharge running into house? Surface water can also run down your foundation wall into crawl space. Check landscape grading. Sump pump in crawlspace? Sump pumps working? Roof leaks? Plumbing leaks? Find the source and fix it!

My house sits 25’ from a very large lake. Crawl space floor only 5’ above ordinary waterline. I had 3 waterline leaks (drips) and no vapor barrier. Constantly wet and some standing water in crawl space and mold everywhere. Mold even grew up walls into first floor.

I fixed water leaks, installed and let dehumidifier run 2 weeks with no vapor barrier to dry out dirt and wood. Then added vapor barrier. I sprayed all wood down with white vinegar to kill mold. My dehumidifier ran 100% for about 3 weeks. Once levels dropped below 30% (setpoint) it cycles on every once in a while. Mold and moisture now under control in my place.

You are correct on mine being only 70 litres. The box is a packaged AC compressor and evaporator. The evaporator cools the air dropping out water, then the compressor warms the discharge air. I believe the parent company for the megadry unit is Aprilaire. I would not hesitate to buy 2 more of these if I had too.

But I would fix the water source first.. You are paying $$ to run that big unit all the time.

·
Registered
40,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What is the source for all the water?

You’re not likely getting that volume from moist air alone. Ground water drainage? Checked your rain gutters? Gutter discharge running into house? Surface water can also run down your foundation wall into crawl space. Check landscape grading. Sump pump in crawlspace? Sump pumps working? Roof leaks? Plumbing leaks? Find the source and fix it!

My house sits 25’ from a very large lake. Crawl space floor only 5’ above ordinary waterline. I had 3 waterline leaks (drips) and no vapor barrier. Constantly wet and some standing water in crawl space and mold everywhere. Mold even grew up walls into first floor.

I fixed water leaks, installed and let dehumidifier run 2 weeks with no vapor barrier to dry out dirt and wood. Then added vapor barrier. I sprayed all wood down with white vinegar to kill mold. My dehumidifier ran 100% for about 3 weeks. Once levels dropped below 30% (setpoint) it cycles on every once in a while. Mold and moisture now under control in my place.

You are correct on mine being only 70 litres. The box is a packaged AC compressor and evaporator. The evaporator cools the air dropping out water, then the compressor warms the discharge air. I believe the parent company for the megadry unit is Aprilaire. I would not hesitate to buy 2 more of these if I had too.

But I would fix the water source first.. You are paying $$ to run that big unit all the time.
Were just off a lake front and have a sump pump in that crawlspace of a basement that discharges water about every 15 minutes during the more rainy parts of the year. Its common around this lake nearly everyone i've spoke with have the same issues, and from what i gather were just about average. The basement floor, walls, and windows are foamed and sealed by professionals.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Just curious how long you have owned this unit?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts