Hardcore Sledder banner

81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
I think when he said maintenance cost he was talking about a tune up.What does a dealer charge to change the oil and plugs in one of those yamis?

Idk what a dealer charges but it takes me about 45 minutes to change oil and filter on my apex , it takes 2.5 liters of oil. The 2 strokes I've owned and guys that I ride with will use 2 litres of 2 stroke oil on a good days ride .

·
Registered
6,135 Posts
Well me and 4 of them made Copper harbor by 2 and back to Hurley by 7
How many miles was that?
Maybe 250-300?
Kinda proves my point.That is mainly straight line high speed running if you take the direct route.There are great loops off of that entire ride,though.I ride put of white pine a lot so thats all area Ive covered a thousand times.
I also wouldnt want to make that run on a sat......on a weekday its a total ripper.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Maybe 250-300?
Kinda proves my point.That is mainly straight line high speed running if you take the direct route.There are great loops off of that entire ride,though.I ride put of white pine a lot so thats all area Ive covered a thousand times.
I also wouldnt want to make that run on a sat......on a weekday its a total ripper.
It is well over 300 if you drop don the backside through Gay but there is a large amount of it that is on a rail grade from Freenland to Houghton and again After Hancock that 110mph + is possible but the 2 smokes cannot do that! I think the total for that day was 342 ish.

And yes this was actually a monday morning and the trails above Ironwood to Greenland had just been groomed and from there on up was not bad. Ive been on them when you could not do that ride in 3 days.

·
Registered
6,135 Posts
Yeah,we try to stay off the rail grades fri/sat.

The two smokes wont go 110?
Must not be running very good.....or maybe they are just afraid to hold them wot like a lot of guys are.Ill admit,on those high speed days I miss miss my triple powered two strokes.They seem to just be my shop ornaments these days,once I started doing the iqr thing everthing else seems ill handling and boring....and Ive rode just about everything out there.

·
Premium Member
7,370 Posts
It is well over 300 if you drop don the backside through Gay but there is a large amount of it that is on a rail grade from Freenland to Houghton and again After Hancock that 110mph + is possible but the 2 smokes cannot do that! I think the total for that day was 342 ish.

And yes this was actually a monday morning and the trails above Ironwood to Greenland had just been groomed and from there on up was not bad. Ive been on them when you could not do that ride in 3 days.
We left Bergland at 10:30AM and went to copper harbor and back by 8pm that evening and it was right at 300 miles. I had a 2-stroke so I guess I could have been back by 6pm otherwise on a sidewinder :lol:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Yup Sled208 thats about right 300 from Bergland. My place is in Pence just south of Hurley in that video we left from Squeeks bar on trail 77. And I do not know of any 800 2 smoke that can run 110 for 20 miles or so. There was 2 Renegade X 800's in that group that did make the ride with me and they could not get to 110, believe me we tried.

I had 4 Polaris Pro r and pro S's and 104 ish was top end for them and still liked to blow up around 1000 miles. The Trail Viper now has a radar and GPS backed top end a bit over 130 mph although i do not ride like that on public trails 124 has been seen.

·
Registered
6,135 Posts
No doubt that high hp couch will run faster for extended periods but I dont know how id feel about throwing it around in twisties or jumping hilltops....thats coming from a guy that rode 650s,storms,xcrs,and had an xcr engine in just about every chassis except the iqr.The biggest killer for me is I like to venture off down a couple feet of fresh snow down a forestry road,climb a big hill or cross some open water once in awhile....so I just dont see that happening on a big4s
Years ago we used to ride your area a TON (when the bar was where the dining room is at joaneys if that tells you how long ago)Now I only run in Iron county a few times a year but it remains near the top of my favorite places to ride.

·
Premium Member
7,370 Posts
Yup Sled208 thats about right 300 from Bergland. My place is in Pence just south of Hurley in that video we left from Squeeks bar on trail 77. And I do not know of any 800 2 smoke that can run 110 for 20 miles or so. There was 2 Renegade X 800's in that group that did make the ride with me and they could not get to 110, believe me we tried.

I had 4 Polaris Pro r and pro S's and 104 ish was top end for them and still liked to blow up around 1000 miles. The Trail Viper now has a radar and GPS backed top end a bit over 130 mph although i do not ride like that on public trails 124 has been seen.
I'm gonna sound like a fun hater but I don't think you should be traveling at 110mph for extended periods of time like that on any of the trails. I've had too many close calls with deer at speeds well below that. We were on a spirited pace going up the rail bed through Twin Lakes and those trees are flying by so damn fast it's stupid. If you think you can react and maneuver at that speed you're wrong. dead wrong. Off trail riders sometimes land on the trails out of the trees randomly. People take their families out on those same trails and youngsters can do unpredictable things and they're the last ones that should suffer the consequences.

Think about it.

·
Registered
6,135 Posts
You re entitled to your opinion but everybody has their own riding style.
I could make plenty of arguments against people riding slow and doing stupid stuff.You cant blame the guy running high speeds for people doing stupid stuff at low speeds and getting hit.
On top of that,saying somebody cant react at over 100 mph just because you cant is also totally false.
Riding fast is what some people like and putting along is what other people like.Its just part of the sport.

·
Premium Member
5,698 Posts
I could make plenty of arguments against people riding slow and doing stupid stuff.You cant blame the guy running high speeds for people doing stupid stuff at low speeds and getting hit.
On top of that,saying somebody cant react at over 100 mph just because you cant is also totally false.
Riding fast is what some people like and putting along is what other people like.Its just part of the sport.
You might change your tune if the person doing stupid stuff at low speeds is a child that you hit and kill.

·
Premium Member
7,370 Posts
I'm all for fun and I like going fast but you have to pick your spots to go fast and use common sense. On that rail bed you have maybe a 20' swath to "swerve" otherwise you're hitting trees or the obstacle you're trying to avoid. Science applies to the situation and momentum is going to become a problem in a hurry. Who is to blame when people are doing stupid stuff doesn't matter. When you are involved in the collision it's going to suck bad. And by going those speeds you're drastically increasing your chances of being a victim on the scene.

·
Registered
346 Posts
You know i just don't get this site!

We start talking about one thing and end up on totally unrelated issues.

Some guy tries to ask whether anyone regrets buying a sidewinder.

Guys with no experience chime in saying why they would not ride one even though they have no experience to people commenting on why they think something else is better and why it works for them.

10 pages later others are explaining why we should all ride snow scoots with a rev limiter!!!! and never exceed 10 mph.

·
Premium Member
7,370 Posts
You know i just don't get this site!

We start talking about one thing and end up on totally unrelated issues.

Some guy tries to ask whether anyone regrets buying a sidewinder.

Guys with no experience chime in saying why they would not ride one even though they have no experience to people commenting on why they think something else is better and why it works for them.

10 pages later others are explaining why we should all ride snow scoots with a rev limiter!!!! and never exceed 10 mph.
It's summer. There's nothing going on. The sno scoots are pretty cool

81 - 94 of 94 Posts