Hardcore Sledder banner

21 - 40 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
So Lid 2,
You felt the SW is heavy to steer? I have seen them but never had the chance to ride a SW. I have a 2015 Apex w/ EPS and am really wondering do I want to trade a sled I can ride 250+ miles a day with NO arm fatigue to something I'm going to battle all day long? I'm pushing 60 years old and is the extra HP worth it?

I like to do long rides, saddlebag trips, in Quebec and the UP, but, don't want to feel like my arms are shot after a day.

Anyone else's thoughts on this would be great.
My local dealer had about 20 2017 SW's left over.
I wonder is they'll put EPS on the 2018 models which is Yamaha's 50 year anniversary for sleds.

Fred
DO NOT make the switch. I have an 11 Apex, and just rode my buddies SW for about 40 miles. The steering is noticeably heavier than my Apex with EPS. When I got back on the Apex is when I really noticed that the EPS is so easy to steer. Also we ran side by side with a rolling 40 mph start. My Apex pulled the SW by a full sled length for I would guess 50 yards then then the SW caught up and pulled away. I had ideas of selling my Apex for a SW but not anymore. I just like the EPS too much.

·
Registered
236 Posts
So Lid 2,
You felt the SW is heavy to steer? I have seen them but never had the chance to ride a SW. I have a 2015 Apex w/ EPS and am really wondering do I want to trade a sled I can ride 250+ miles a day with NO arm fatigue to something I'm going to battle all day long? I'm pushing 60 years old and is the extra HP worth it?

I like to do long rides, saddlebag trips, in Quebec and the UP, but, don't want to feel like my arms are shot after a day.

I wonder is they'll put EPS on the 2018 models which is Yamaha's 50 year anniversary for sleds.

Fred
What's the name of your local dealer? It may be worth a drive if he's sitting a bunch of them. I'm looking at getting rid of my Skidoo Renegade 800 I don't really care for it.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
a sidewinder broke in and set up right will destroy a apex and will out handle , take huge junk the apex never could ...period...I have owned both...
You're comparing apples and oranges. As they sit right now, I would take an apex any day over a sidewinder.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Our local dealers is Ebensberg Yamaha.

Google their web site and you can see the inventory they have left.

Prices still seem higher then some dealers in Michigan that I looked at, but, with the absolutely crap winter we have had in PA, they may be willing to negotiate.

So, if I'm reading correctly, if you set a SW up properly, you can decrease the steering effort? I love the Apex, but, some extra HP of those railroad beds would be sweet.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
So, if I'm reading correctly, if you set a SW up properly, you can decrease the steering effort? I love the Apex, but, some extra HP of those railroad beds would be sweet.

yes...the skis IMHO other than perfect trails suck....I personally added 16 procross (cat) skis...and the suspension with minor adjustments and you can have easy steering...a ski like the doo 5.7's or 6.9's or slp slts would be a perfect compliment...jumping back on an apex after a well setup procross sled is like driving an 80's car...

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Our local dealers is Ebensberg Yamaha.

Google their web site and you can see the inventory they have left.

Prices still seem higher then some dealers in Michigan that I looked at, but, with the absolutely crap winter we have had in PA, they may be willing to negotiate.

If you're looking at steering effort, and worried about fatigue, the SW will be a mistake. Trust me on this, I have ridden both. If you want a sled with more power and it will handle better than an Apex, then get the SW. I am sticking with my Apex because I go on a 16 day trip to Quebec each year and we do anywhere from 100 to 250 miles a day, every day, and I don't want to think about whether I'm gonna get tired. And IMO, a properly set up SW will not decrease steering effort, it will just make it handle better.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
So Lid 2,

Fred
Yes the steering was a lil heavy (which I expected ) in direct comparrasion to my 2 stroke. Keep in. Ind I made no suspension changes just hopped on and rode it . It was def. more work to ride it in the woods with lots of turns. BUT a I personally feel it's light years ahead of an apex (we have an 06 in the fleet that I've rode lots of times ) for me I'd take a lil more steering effort of the non power steering SW Than an apex any day. The chassis is just better in a wider range of conditions imo. You should try one if you get a chance. I liked it. It's probably not the number one choice for me in the conditions I ride and my style but it's a nice sled for sure. :bc:

·
Registered
8,460 Posts
DO NOT make the switch. I have an 11 Apex, and just rode my buddies SW for about 40 miles. The steering is noticeably heavier than my Apex with EPS. When I got back on the Apex is when I really noticed that the EPS is so easy to steer. Also we ran side by side with a rolling 40 mph start. My Apex pulled the SW by a full sled length for I would guess 50 yards then then the SW caught up and pulled away. I had ideas of selling my Apex for a SW but not anymore. I just like the EPS too much.
You forgot the part where it came to hitting bumps....

·
Registered
570 Posts
yes...the skis IMHO other than perfect trails suck....I personally added 16 procross (cat) skis...and the suspension with minor adjustments and you can have easy steering...a ski like the doo 5.7's or 6.9's or slp slts would be a perfect compliment...jumping back on an apex after a well setup procross sled is like driving an 80's car...
Spot on...my buddy has an apex and I could not get off that tank fast enough..only problem with my Sidewinder is the heavy steering and that will be taken care of Friday when I install the 6.9 pilots.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
You forgot the part where it came to hitting bumps....
Actually, I was answering the question which was posed. That was about steering effort. In the bumps there is no comparison, a SW wins hands down. The apex is no fun at all if its whooped out. Where I ride they groom just about every night, so its not an issue.

·
Registered
94 Posts
So Lid 2,

Fred

I have the same concerns as you. My son picked up sidewinder last month and has put on 1500 trouble free miles. He let me put a few miles on it and enjoyed the fun factor and extra power. I then jumped back on my Apex and immediately felt how much easier the steering is with the eps. Like you we do long saddlebag trips every year. We'll do 800-1000 miles in 4 days. He even complained our last day on a 250 mile ride his arms were sore. He's still trying to dial it in and may change to pilot skis. I agree and love to see them put the eps on it. That may change my mind and would possibly make the switch. The up right riding position is defiantly easier on the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
You guys are justt silly, never owned a sled rode. A buds sled for 20 minutes with closed minds I've me a break...... the sidewinder isn't perfect in the steering department and skis, I changed em up add studs played around and dialed it and guess what, it rides amazing on long trips, it's no 600 ditch banger but if you want the best stop nit picking it's few short coming and look at it potential my goodness........

·
Registered
744 Posts
I got rid of my 2017 Zr 9000 and got a Polaris Switchback Assault 800 and am much happier with the polaris. 200lbs difference in weight
I got rid ofswitchback and got sidewinder..much happier...polaris was a slow slug
I sold the ZR9000, the Switchback Assault and the Sidewinder and got a Massey-Ferguson Ski-Wiz, lot less wind in my face:buttrock:

·
Registered
187 Posts
I got rid of my 2017 Zr 9000 and got a Polaris Switchback Assault 800 and am much happier with the polaris. 200lbs difference in weight
As long as u don't plan on keeping that Polaris once the warrantys up, had an 09 800 Sb biggest pos ever made got 8 mpg went through a liter of oil every 70 miles and had to put a spacer and cat pistons in it to try to make it reliable. Talked to buddy at dealer here in manitoba and asked if the new ones were good his answer was ahhhh there better ?????

·
Registered
18 Posts
My only regret is that the new one comes in a sick looking all black option, so I am hoping I can stay off the phone with my dealer for the next two weeks. But believe me it is very hard. I never sell anything so it would be in addition to all the other toys. All those registrations and insurance add up. And if I listened to her I can only ride 1 at a time right?

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Spot on...my buddy has an apex and I could not get off that tank fast enough..only problem with my Sidewinder is the heavy steering and that will be taken care of Friday when I install the 6.9 pilots.
I ran the procross skis with berg trips for 600 miles...way better than the tuners which are junk IMHO....now have a set of 6.9's to try next season also..

I have the same concerns as you. My son picked up sidewinder last month and has put on 1500 trouble free miles. He let me put a few miles on it and enjoyed the fun factor and extra power. I then jumped back on my Apex and immediately felt how much easier the steering is with the eps. Like you we do long saddlebag trips every year. We'll do 800-1000 miles in 4 days. He even complained our last day on a 250 mile ride his arms were sore. He's still trying to dial it in and may change to pilot skis. I agree and love to see them put the eps on it. That may change my mind and would possibly make the switch. The up right riding position is defiantly easier on the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
were in the same area....these machines can be a bit difficult to setup....Id be glad to help him out ;)

I sold the ZR9000, the Switchback Assault and the Sidewinder and got a Massey-Ferguson Ski-Wiz, lot less wind in my face:buttrock:
and all 2" of suspension travel lmao

My only regret is that the new one comes in a sick looking all black option, so I am hoping I can stay off the phone with my dealer for the next two weeks. But believe me it is very hard. I never sell anything so it would be in addition to all the other toys. All those registrations and insurance add up. And if I listened to her I can only ride 1 at a time right?
the cat? caught my eye also....no more jumping for basically color for me..besides, the team primaryy is having cracking issues and the secondary is a long term POS

21 - 40 of 94 Posts