Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting to see some price drops on leftover 2017s. Anybody who took the plunge on a first year sled regretting it? Not sure what changes / improvements will come for 2018, but saving a nice chunk of change has my attention.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
By chance is this your first 1st year sled. I don't need the latest and greatest and buy at the end of season vs the beginning. Much cheaper and Im not a unpaid test monkey for the R & D department.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Keep your switchback. They're fast but way too heavy.

Buddies blows belts at 200 or less miles. He wants the dealer to take it back, it has a vibration to it too.

·
Registered
956 Posts
We have 4 in the group no problem period! One of them has over 2500 miles and still on stock factory belt. No lose bolts, no blown belts and will spank all other sled period!

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
We have 4 in the group no problem period! One of them has over 2500 miles and still on stock factory belt. No lose bolts, no blown belts and will spank all other sled period!

This is what I hear out of people riding them all the time , very nice

·
Registered
82 Posts
2 in my group. All happy customers. I have about 40 or so miles of riding on my buddies sled - all I can say is WOW. It pulls harder than anything I have ever ridden, and very, very smooth. Keeping the skis off the ground until 80 mph no problem. Just a hoot to drive.

One issue from my buddy this past weekend - stupid fuel relay - just like the nytros. So had to heat it up and a few taps with a wrench and good to go. But a PIA.

·
Registered
341 Posts
all I can say is WOW. It pulls harder than anything I have ever ridden
You haven't ridden anything too fast then.

Any well tuned post 06' 800-1000cc 2-stroke will keep right up with them. :bc2:

·
Registered
341 Posts
:roflmao:So much informative information on this site.
He's not that far off. We weighed a 2016 Turbo Cat, with my brothers 2015 Assault 800.

157lb difference.

Both with 1/2 tank of fuel.

The 1100 Turbo Cat was 647 to the SB 490.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Rode on for about 20 miles or so the other night .stock with studs. It was really nice overall had a lot of ass for a trail sled ESP touching it off on hard pack rolling about 30. Sneaky power very linear. Nice machine nvr hiccuped. BUT Yes there is a but it's a tank going down the trail nice in decent trails except a lil heavy in steering but when it got rough it was clearly heavy up frt they don't have a playful feeling either but I did enjoy the power bouncing back and forth from 2 stroke 8oo to sidewinder. It was clear the sw has more power no question and it was clear the 2stroke is more playful and lighter . I thought It was a really nice sled much better than I thought it would be in all areas. Pleasant surprise.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
And then, the 350 pounder jumps on his sled, to go ditch banging.
To 99 % of the sledders, weight don,t mean squat. When is the last time anyone had to carry one ?
The only thing it does is give them a reason to try and find a fault of some sort.

He's not that far off. We weighed a 2016 Turbo Cat, with my brothers 2015 Assault 800.

157lb difference.

Both with 1/2 tank of fuel.

The 1100 Turbo Cat was 647 to the SB 490.

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
One of my riding buddies has a Sidewinder (the other a 850 ETEC). He has about 1,000 miles on his Sidewinder with no issues whatsoever.

0-80ish, the 850 is faster. And then the Sidewinder kicks into hyper-drive and the Sidewinder makes everyone eat snow dust.

On the tight and twisty trails (which I prefer), my pull-start and dialed 600 ETEC is faster.

But if you are a lake racer, than the Sidewinder is the sled for you.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
SW takes some miles and time to get adjusted...its a different feeling machine with two things...miles/suspension settings and skis...both required...

·
Registered
302 Posts
So Lid 2,
You felt the SW is heavy to steer? I have seen them but never had the chance to ride a SW. I have a 2015 Apex w/ EPS and am really wondering do I want to trade a sled I can ride 250+ miles a day with NO arm fatigue to something I'm going to battle all day long? I'm pushing 60 years old and is the extra HP worth it?

I like to do long rides, saddlebag trips, in Quebec and the UP, but, don't want to feel like my arms are shot after a day.

Anyone else's thoughts on this would be great.
My local dealer had about 20 2017 SW's left over.
I wonder is they'll put EPS on the 2018 models which is Yamaha's 50 year anniversary for sleds.

Fred

1 - 20 of 94 Posts