Hardcore Sledder banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Since I have owned several Tcats and a turbo, I can tell you that in a drag race on a good surface, an old Tcat would beat a stock 1100 in a drag race. If I remember correctly, at the old American Snowmobiler shootout in 1998, a box stock Tcat posted 110mph in the quarter mile. The Tcat would easily get past 120 on radar and on a good day hit 125. A stock 1100 cannot do that.

The reason the old old Tcat wins is twofold: # 1 - less rolling resistance on the chassis. # 2 - It weighed about 85lbs less.

This why everyone boosts the 1100. With a 240 tune ( or more) it is a different sled. Once boosted, it is a much quicker and faster sled. I love mine except for dealing with the undressing the sled every time I want to work on it.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Since I have owned several Tcats and a turbo, I can tell you that in a drag race on a good surface, an old Tcat would beat a stock 1100 in a drag race. If I remember correctly, at the old American Snowmobiler shootout in 1998, a box stock Tcat posted 110mph in the quarter mile. The Tcat would easily get past 120 on radar and on a good day hit 125. A stock 1100 cannot do that.

The reason the old old Tcat wins is twofold: # 1 - less rolling resistance on the chassis. # 2 - It weighed about 85lbs less.

This why everyone boosts the 1100. With a 240 tune ( or more) it is a different sled. Once boosted, it is a much quicker and faster sled. I love mine except for dealing with the undressing the sled every time I want to work on it.
I own one of each , on the 1100 , using a evo intake and Zeus fittings I can have my hood off in a matter of minutes. Putting it back together takes a little bit longer. Those older T-Cats sat a lot lower also.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
My take; A (properly prepped) trail ridden stock 1100 Turbo is only slow compared compared to a tuned Turbo or a stock/tuned 998. I rode my '12 Turbo mostly stock (exhaust) for a year and it was far from slow. I was warned by my "go-to" Turbo guy that if you tune it you have went to the Dark Side. Yep, sure did. I run a 2.5" SanDale with a 2stg (e/PT) TD flash, and run 98% of the time on ECO. At 225Hp, its very enjoyable.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I must have a good running 1100 in stock form because I beat my buddies 998 every time and we are pretty much same size. Granted both are stock.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts

Just comes down to traction, how they are tuned (in stock motor form) and the pre 998's took more time to spool up without a stutter button so 2-strokes could leave the past version turbos at the line. Lots of lightweight chassis efficient F-7's embarrass big triples and the first version turbos when they came out in 500 feet. Once you jump off the line and are out ahead it takes a lot of HP/ground speed to get by someone. All sleds both 2-stroke and 4-stroke have come a long ways all to the buyers benefit.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have both, LOVE the turbo for all the reasons stated. I have a '14 turbo and a '16 turbo. The '14 has 10,000 miles on it and still rides like a dream. The weight on the trail is perfect, rides like its on rails in turns with tons of power. No bigger rush than cruising at 80 mph and knowing you are at half throttle, punch it and feel the power up to 100+ if you wish. That said, my 800's are M's and are fun for off trail time, going places I wouldn't dream of going with the turbo (for reasons of track length and front-end weight).

·
Registered
484 Posts
I respect your opinion, but you think a stock 998 is slow?
The 998's trounce the 850's and even 900 Turbo... they are in a league of their own, and have the fastest top speed of any stock sled EVER made, with faster acceleration then ANY SLED EVER made, and you think they are slow?
Sounds like a bullcrap made up excuse to mod one's machine.
I would argue the exact opposite, the 998 is more then enough in stock form,,,, thats why many people aren't touching them, and they stay very reliable like that.
The 998s are slow stock. Even a baby 240 tune will put bus lengths on a stock machine. Plus you get better fuel mileage once tuned. That is the beauty of turbo vehicles, they are usually tuned very conservatively from the factory, and therefore are easy to get more power out of.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Disagree totally. The ONLY stock sled faster than a stock 998 Turbo is---- Nothing! If you ride any sled with 240Hp, it's not stock. A 204 Hp sled is NOT slow. I'm sure there is a rare occurence, somewhere, that a stock ZR9/SW got beat by a stock Zuk Turbo. But that is not the norm- its a VERY RARE event.

·
Insane Madcatter
262 Posts
The 998s are slow stock.
This is just chest pounding nonsense.

Disagree totally. The ONLY stock sled faster than a stock 998 Turbo is---- Nothing! If you ride any sled with 240Hp, it's not stock. A 204 Hp sled is NOT slow. I'm sure there is a rare occurence, somewhere, that a stock ZR9/SW got beat by a stock Zuk Turbo. But that is not the norm- its a VERY RARE event.
Nice to know there are others without foolish ego's.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts