Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that have made the change from an 800 to a turbo, can you share your thoughts on that change ?

The weight
Handling differences
Which would you buy as your next sled

·
Registered
674 Posts
The only two stroke I ever miss is my old Thundercat. I miss it until I pull the trigger on my Turbo. Then I forget about missing the Tcat. Unless you are ditch banging or riding in a snowcross event, the weight difference is not an issue unless you weigh 120 lbs and have strength issues. Then a lighter sled makes sense. Of course if someone has strength issues, they can always start lifting in the off season.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
I went from a 2014 XF 8000 to a 2017 XF cross-country 998 turbo and couldn't be more pleased.

I also fitted the skis with snow trackers which is so much better than stock. It is equipped with a 1.75 lug track. Great all around touring / trail sled. If I was to go off trail I'm sure I wouldn't enjoy getting stuck with it but I don't do that type of riding anymore anyways. 99% trail

Pure heaven on the trail below.

Jeff B In Maine

Sent via my US Cellular rotary dial device.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I should have been more specific. Gone to the newer 998 Turbo.
The other turbos in my group are a thundercat and a XF 9000. They are the new turbos that you seek. Doesn't matter, I spank them all. You can buy a stock 2021 and be happy. But if you tune it, you will be happy and shit your pants at the same time.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
The only two stroke I ever miss is my old Thundercat. I miss it until I pull the trigger on my Turbo. Then I forget about missing the Tcat. Unless you are ditch banging or riding in a snowcross event, the weight difference is not an issue unless you weigh 120 lbs and have strength issues. Then a lighter sled makes sense. Of course if someone has strength issues, they can always start lifting in the off season.
This is very true. Just be aware of how aggressive you set up the front end. Don't over carbide or go super aggressive with ski choice if easier steering is a concern. There is a significant increase in weight over the front vs. a 2 stroke, so choices are crucial. I'm no longer an aggressive rider, so the stock CAT skis with 6" SlimJims gives me easy steering with very good control. JMO. Dave

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
Depends where you are riding. If you stay on groomed trails, there is not much wrong with a turbo.
If you value any time off trail, go for the two stroke.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I got my first turbo about 10 years ago and for the longest time I was the only one riding one. I'm now on my fourth (3 1100's and 1 998) and the whole time I kept my F8. It was becoming everybody's spare sled (when there was a breakdown) and I was riding it less than my buds. Finally last fall I sold the F8 and picked up the Thundercat. As mentioned earlier there is no comparison off trail, you don't want to get stuck on a 4 stroke if you are alone. But I don't want to get stuck at all anymore, so I stick mainly to the trails. The other thing I love about these sleds is the reliability. We were always looking for more from our 2 strokes and constantly blowing them up. Except for my F8. These turbos just run and run. After watching me for years the group began to switch to turbo cats. There are now 8 turbos and only a couple of two strokes. I highly recommend a program as well. Stock turbos are just to slow. JMO

Reactions: Rubrsidedown

·
Registered
674 Posts
While riding my turbo, I used to think two strokes were hazards to navigation on the lakes. Now that my turbo has been "boosted", I think stock turbos are also hazards to navigation. LOL
Fortunately there are no stock turbos on the lakes anymore. LOL

·
Registered
447 Posts
I've kept my mint condition ZR900 for a spare (for my riding buddies LOL) and for off-trail ditch-banging. I've never needed it as a spare but my 2S buddies have. LOL
My hard-pack trail sled is '17 ZR9000 Ltd at Stage 4 (320 HP pump gas!). Agree w Upstater57, anything not tuned to big HP is just in the way. Stock turbos are not designed for, nor intended for off-trail unless it's a mountain turbo (super long tracks w big lug height and lots of HP).

·
Insane Madcatter
06 F7 EFI / 00 MXZ 600
161 Posts
Stock turbos are just to slow. JMO
I respect your opinion, but you think a stock 998 is slow?
The 998's trounce the 850's and even 900 Turbo... they are in a league of their own, and have the fastest top speed of any stock sled EVER made, with faster acceleration then ANY SLED EVER made, and you think they are slow?
Sounds like a bullcrap made up excuse to mod one's machine.
I would argue the exact opposite, the 998 is more then enough in stock form,,,, thats why many people aren't touching them, and they stay very reliable like that.

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
Stock they accelerate , put a tune in, different animal, you better hold on. I have 270 and it’s night and day than stock in the acceleration department. Just saying try one if you can .

·
Insane Madcatter
06 F7 EFI / 00 MXZ 600
161 Posts
I don't disagree that with modding a turbo, it gets much faster quickly.
I just find it hard to believe someone would use the word 'slow' to describe the fastest stock sled ever made.
Faster then a late 90's Thundercat.
Faster then a 03 F7.
Faster then a Z1 Turbo.
Faster then a F1100 Turbo.....

but its slow! :D

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I respect your opinion, but you think a stock 998 is slow?
The 998's trounce the 850's and even 900 Turbo... they are in a league of their own, and have the fastest top speed of any stock sled EVER made, with faster acceleration then ANY SLED EVER made, and you think they are slow?
Sounds like a bullcrap made up excuse to mod one's machine.
I would argue the exact opposite, the 998 is more then enough in stock form,,,, thats why many people aren't touching them, and they stay very reliable like that.
I stand corrected, I misspoke. Stock 1100 turbos are slow. What do I mean by that? I raced a buddies stock 2009 Z1 Turbo and he didn't beat my F8HO by that much. I would not consider wrestling a big clumsy beast like that to be 5-8mph better than an 800. I never rode a mile on my 998 stock so I don't know what it would be capable of. I never rode a mile on my 2012 or my 2015 stock either. But I do know how fast 998's and 1100's are with a program and a good exhaust and they are amazing! I don't want to be 5-10 mph better than an 800. I want to be 25mph ahead. I have no interest in a stock turbo, they are too slow. whoops I said it again. They are very reliable at the 280 hp level as well. I have not had an engine issue in four sleds over 10 years.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I don't disagree that with modding a turbo, it gets much faster quickly.
I just find it hard to believe someone would use the word 'slow' to describe the fastest stock sled ever made.
Faster then a late 90's Thundercat.
Faster then a 03 F7.
Faster then a Z1 Turbo.
Faster then a F1100 Turbo.....

but its slow! :D
All the sleds you listed above disappear so quickly in my rear view mirror, its like magic! I had all of those at one time and still have an old ZRT1100 as well as an 1100 turbo. I know what they are capable of. Compared to a boosted 1100 or 998, sorry they are slow.

·
Insane Madcatter
06 F7 EFI / 00 MXZ 600
161 Posts
Ohhh please, stop it.
Theres nothing new or special about a fast sled, or turbo sled.
Anyone can buy a 998 and turn up the dial.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts