Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From MSA on facebook 6 hrs. ago with 95 comments... "The MSA would like to thank everyone who supported our legislative bill, LD-280, An act to increase snowmobile registration fees. It passed the house and senate this week. This small increase will help all Maine snowmobile clubs. The monies from this increase go directly into dedicated funds for the trail grants (grooming and maintenance) and capital equipment grants (money to buy grooming equipment). Note: a small portion of the 3 & 10 day -non resident goes to IF&W for increased enforcement efforts.
Registration rates now will be:
Resident $55
Non Resident 3-day $74
Non Resident 10-day $99
Non Resident Season $119
While there were some who wanted to raise it higher and some who wanted to leave it where it is, after surveying our clubs and many discussions with snowmobilers all over the state, this is where we landed. MSA felt this was a fair increase for all. This bill will help put newer and better grooming equipment all over the state as well as improve funding for grooming and maintenance. Thank you to everyone who supported this bill and contacted your legislators." Log into Facebook

·
Registered
2012 TZ1 Touring
1,056 Posts
Look like most of the increase goes back to the sport. This is an excerpt of the law I found on line. Seems like a long time since the last increase, I don't know when it was. New fees seem to be in line with other states in New England.

A little tricky to read, the cut and paste didn't work so well. The bold is the new fee, the old fee is just to the left.

Fee. Except as provided in subsection 5, the annual snowmobile registration fee is 16 as follows: 17 A. For residents, $45 $55. The registration for a snowmobile owned by a resident is 18 valid for one year, commencing on July 1st of each year; and 19 B. For nonresidents: 20 (1) Forty-nine Seventy-four dollars for a 3-consecutive-day registration. A person 21 may purchase more than one 3-day registration in any season; 22 (2) Ninety-nine One hundred and nineteen dollars for a seasonal registration; and 23 (3) Seventy-five Ninety-nine dollars for a 10-consecutive-day registration. A 24 person may purchase more than one 10-day registration in any season. 25 The registration for a snowmobile owned by a nonresident must specify the dates for 26 which the registration is valid. 27 Five Ten dollars from each resident registration fee and $15 from each nonresident 28 registration fee collected pursuant to this subsection must be transferred to a special fund 29 administered by the Off-Road Vehicle Division of the Bureau of Parks and Lands within 30 the Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry. The funds must be used to 31 assist any entity that has a snowmobile trail grooming contract with the Bureau of Parks 32 and Lands in the purchase of trail-grooming equipment. The funds also may be used for 33 the repair or overhaul of trail-grooming equipment. COMMITTEE AMENDMENT “ ” to H.P. 196, L.D. 280 Page 2 - 130LR0672(02) COMMITTEE AMENDMENT 1 Twelve Seventeen dollars from each resident snowmobile registration fee must be 2 transferred to the Snowmobile Trail Fund of the Department of Agriculture, Conservation 3 and Forestry, Bureau of Parks and Lands. 4 Six Sixteen dollars from each nonresident 3-day snowmobile registration fee, $6 $16 from 5 each nonresident 10-day snowmobile registration fee and $11 $21 from each nonresident 6 seasonal snowmobile registration fee must be transferred to the Snowmobile Trail Fund of 7 the Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry, Bureau of Parks and Lands. 8 Five dollars from each non-resident 3-day snowmobile registration fee and 10-day 9 snowmobile registration fee must be transferred to the Snowmobile Enforcement Fund 10 established under section 10258

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Has anyone checked the cost of a new groomer and drag ? Most hub areas we all ride have multiples. Annual Maintenance and repairs on each one. Now put fuel in it.…every one of them. Thats up 25% alone. And the cost and efforts of trail work and trail changes and bridges.

Id like to….but I dont know who else might pay for it all. The fee is for the whole season vs a day or a weekend.

A steal IMO. I just care that it goes to snowmobiling not some other area.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'm in. Hopefully the funds actually DO make it to all the clubs.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Thundercat
820 Posts
Glad the money goes back to the clubs.. think about it, you pay $80+ to ski on a mountain groomed trail for ONE DAY.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts