Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the big deal of having to VALIDATE your paperwork with the DNR (or an approved DNR validation station)? When did this crap start? I haven't bought a used sled in years & now they start this B.S. What is the penalty if you just fill out the form & mail it in like we did in the past? Will the idiot Wardens (like Kroeplin) be nailing people if their registration apps. were NOT properly validated?? WTF will be NEXT?!?!? :frech32:

·
Premium Member
4,003 Posts
What is the big deal of having to VALIDATE your paperwork with the DNR (or an approved DNR validation station)? When did this crap start? I haven't bought a used sled in years & now they start this B.S. What is the penalty if you just fill out the form & mail it in like we did in the past? Will the idiot Wardens (like Kroeplin) be nailing people if their registration apps. were NOT properly validated?? WTF will be NEXT?!?!? :frech32:[/b]
porbley, warning, or sled gone, jail i have no clue, but thats what coems to my mind

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
the reason for the validation stamp is to get the deadbeats from pulling their "Oh, I sent in the paperwork but I haven't recieved my stickers yet" Bull-shit story when they actually did not pay for their registration. the common practice was to just carry the yellow copy of the registration papers without ever actually sending the sheet in with payment.

So, I am actually pleased they started the validation stamp issue. it keeps people from skipping out on paying their fair share.

Now, if you get stopped and your copy of the paperwork is not validated. you get cited for having no registration. This is a good thing for the "Law abiding" snowmobilers.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Ok Im confused too. I just bought a used sled (private owner) and haven't registered it yet. My plan is to just go to the local DNR office and do it if I get a chance to ride it this winter. So if I walk into the DNR office with the former owners reg card and want to reg it in my name now thats all I have to do right? Well besides pay the reg fee and tax on what I paid for the sled? Is that right?

mps :dunno:

·
Registered
2020 Indy XCR 800 129", 2019 Indy 850 129", 2011 IQ Turbo 121"
3,067 Posts
Ok Im confused too. I just bought a used sled (private owner) and haven't registered it yet. My plan is to just go to the local DNR office and do it if I get a chance to ride it this winter. So if I walk into the DNR office with the former owners reg card and want to reg it in my name now thats all I have to do right? Well besides pay the reg fee and tax on what I paid for the sled? Is that right?

mps :dunno:[/b]
You need to fill out a reg. form, have the old reg. card (signed by previous owner) OR a bill of sale. My understanding is that perhaps not all DNR offices can validate a registration, so check into that before assuming you can go just anywhere to do it. I agree with comments above about requiring validation of the registration paperwork. I know of people who went years without paying a registration, they'd just fill out a new form on the same sled every year.

·
Registered
14,373 Posts

mps :dunno:[/b]
http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/caer/cs/reg...atvstations.htm

ATV And Snowmobile Application Validation Stations

ATV and Snowmobile registration applications must be validated prior to the operation of the machine.

The validation process is when a registration application and fees is submitted, reviewed and accepted at a DNR Service Center. A validated copy will be issued and must be carried with the operator while operating the machine.

A copy of the validated registration application will act as a temporary registration until your decals and certificate of registration arrives in the mail.

* Validation Station Listing by City
* Validation Station Listing by County
* Validation Station Listing by DNR Region

You need to fill out a reg. form, have the old reg. card (signed by previous owner) OR a bill of sale. My understanding is that perhaps not all DNR offices can validate a registration, so check into that before assuming you can go just anywhere to do it. I agree with comments above about requiring validation of the registration paperwork. I know of people who went years without paying a registration, they'd just fill out a new form on the same sled every year.[/b]
:div20:

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just want to clear something up here. I haven't bought a USED sled in a VERY long time. I honestly didn't know about the validation requirement until just recently. I have NEVER filled out a false registration form to avoid paying tax/registration fees. :no_bashing:

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
porbley, warning, or sled gone, jail i have no clue, but thats what coems to my mind[/b]

Almost forgot - catBOY, THANKS for the USELESS information. Yet another comment by a CLUELESS teeny bopper who obviously needs to retake spelling class... :smilielol: :lol2: :smilielol: :lol2:

·
Registered
523 Posts
Maybe I can help shed some light on this issue. I am a Deputy Sheriff in Wood Cty. I also am the Snowmobile Coordinator for our Sheriff's Dept Snowmobile Patrol. This IS NOT a new law, guys. I have been doing snowmobile patrol for at least 8 years, and it was a law before I started working on the patrol. Getting 2 Old is right- you need to file all the paperwork, with appropriate forms signed by previous owner. Then pay your fees. Realizing that not a lot of DNR stations are going to be open on the first morning of snowmobile trails being open, the DNR began allowing dealerships to become Validation Stations. In the Marshfield area, Crafts's Trading Center and Power Pac are the dealers to go to. I think Bill's in Stratford also does it. This truly was a law that was created due to folks refusing to register their sleds and carrying around a registration application showing they had registered it. Hell, anyone can fill out a form- that doesn't mean they paid the fees. In our County, as I am sure the rest of the State, you do not get a warning for Failure to Carry a Validated Registration Certificate. The fine is $156.20. So, if you are going to ride, you should not take the chance. I write a lot of these citations every year. I just bought two newer sleds this year from out of State- one from IL the other from MN. The one from MN I just went to Wausau and paid the extra $5.00 to get my sticker over the counter. The other thing is to put it on in the right place. The back of the decal shows where it MUST go. Should beon the rear half of the upper portion of the cowling- or Hood in layman's terms. Placing it in the wrong spot is a fine of $156.20, also. Do not put them on the windshield, tunnel, lower part of the bellypan area. WE in Wood do not cite for this the first time we stop you, but if you get stopped again for the same thing the Deputy stopping you WILL know right away that you were stopped. At that time you would be cited. So, in short, register your sled, have it properly marked- carry your egistration card on your sled and have fun.........ONCE it Snows! Not trying to be a hardass guys, but we ALL have certain things in our jobs we must do. This is just one of my many duties. I cannot wait to get my 01 ZL 800 in the snow this winter. Never had a sled this powerful and cannot wait!
Ride With Pride,
Wayne

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
at many DNR service centers you can also get your stickers right over the counter for an extra $5.00 charge. So this way you do not need to wait for them to be mailed to you.[/b]

Maybe I can help shed some light on this issue. I am a Deputy Sheriff in Wood Cty. I also am the Snowmobile Coordinator for our Sheriff's Dept Snowmobile Patrol. This IS NOT a new law, guys. I have been doing snowmobile patrol for at least 8 years, and it was a law before I started working on the patrol. Getting 2 Old is right- you need to file all the paperwork, with appropriate forms signed by previous owner. Then pay your fees. Realizing that not a lot of DNR stations are going to be open on the first morning of snowmobile trails being open, the DNR began allowing dealerships to become Validation Stations. In the Marshfield area, Crafts's Trading Center and Power Pac are the dealers to go to. I think Bill's in Stratford also does it. This truly was a law that was created due to folks refusing to register their sleds and carrying around a registration application showing they had registered it. Hell, anyone can fill out a form- that doesn't mean they paid the fees. In our County, as I am sure the rest of the State, you do not get a warning for Failure to Carry a Validated Registration Certificate. The fine is $156.20. So, if you are going to ride, you should not take the chance. I write a lot of these citations every year. I just bought two newer sleds this year from out of State- one from IL the other from MN. The one from MN I just went to Wausau and paid the extra $5.00 to get my sticker over the counter. The other thing is to put it on in the right place. The back of the decal shows where it MUST go. Should beon the rear half of the upper portion of the cowling- or Hood in layman's terms. Placing it in the wrong spot is a fine of $156.20, also. Do not put them on the windshield, tunnel, lower part of the bellypan area. WE in Wood do not cite for this the first time we stop you, but if you get stopped again for the same thing the Deputy stopping you WILL know right away that you were stopped. At that time you would be cited. So, in short, register your sled, have it properly marked- carry your egistration card on your sled and have fun.........ONCE it Snows! Not trying to be a hardass guys, but we ALL have certain things in our jobs we must do. This is just one of my many duties. I cannot wait to get my 01 ZL 800 in the snow this winter. Never had a sled this powerful and cannot wait!
Ride With Pride,
Wayne[/b]

Sledboy,

I am all for nailing people that try and skip out of paying what they owe for registration. All these people are doing is stealing from the rest of us!

Just don't be a Kroeplin!![/b]
Thanks for the head's up guys. I certainly am NOT one of those losers who pulls that shit. Happy Trails... sooner or later??

·
Registered
832 Posts
Ok I know Im going to sound like a dumbass BUT I am still not getting it. Ok so I have in hand the owners reg card whom last registered the sled. I go to the DNR place and do what beside fill out a form and pay the reg fee and taxes? I do NOT get/understand this "validation" thing. Whats being validated? What is validation? Do i need the last person whom registered the sled sig on something else now? This is going to suck because the last time the sled was registered it wasn't by the guy whom I bought from, he was 2nd owner and never registered it so everything has the origanol owners name addy on it.

help a putz here..........mps :no_bashing:

·
Registered
2020 Indy XCR 800 129", 2019 Indy 850 129", 2011 IQ Turbo 121"
3,067 Posts
Ride With Pride,
Wayne[/b]
No problem with you doing your job, but it sounds like you are enforcing requirements for sticker placement BEYOND what is described and shown on registration materials distributed by the DNR. The information on the back of registration stickers states "One decal shall be affixed on each side of the cowling". Period. The "cowling" can be understood to include the hood AND side panels covering the engine compartment. If the DNR had intended the requirement to be "located in the rear half of the upper portion", don't you think they would have made that clear? Even the illustration on the sticker doesn't show it there.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No problem with you doing your job, but it sounds like you are enforcing requirements for sticker placement BEYOND what is described and shown on registration materials distributed by the DNR. The information on the back of registration stickers states "One decal shall be affixed on each side of the cowling". Period. The "cowling" can be understood to include the hood AND side panels covering the engine compartment. If the DNR had intended the requirement to be "located in the rear half of the upper portion", don't you think they would have made that clear? Even the illustration on the sticker doesn't show it there.[/b]
EXCELLENT point...

·
Registered
444 Posts
No need to shoot the messenger guys.

I am sure that he was just trying to help out with some great suggestions. We should all just listen to the advice from someone who not only know what the laws are, but also how the are enforced too. Whatever we can do to make their jobs easier the better. I would personally hope for the day to come where they do not have to investigate an accident, or yank a young person from the water, and enjoy riding without having to be on the lookout for riders being a general menace. Then I would even like to have that job. Getting paid to ride, priceless.

We apreciate all the efforts of the Law enforcement people who are out there to protect our sport.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
orville has brought up an excellent point! (What do you think I meant by "Don't be a kroeplin"?)

I have my stickers on the removable side panels. if I were to be ticketed for that I would consider the ticketing officer a real ass-hole (Like Kroeplin).

I can understand being ticketed for the stickers being on the tunnel where they cannot be easily seen. But as long as the stickers are in an easily viewable location on the front "Cowl" are of the sled we should be good.

According to the latest printed regulation booklet that is available to us," the registration stickers must be prominently visible on both sides of the cowling." that is all it says, it does not state they need to be so many inches from the centerline or from the ground. as long as they are prominently visible.
This opens another point, what is considered prominently visible? I would say that if you can readily see the stickers from 50 feet away, they are promnently visible!
But there is no legal definition of "prominently visible" in the regulation book. and this leads to letting overzealous ass-holes to harrass again!

That is all it states, nothing more! and if some enforcement officer is going to ticket for them being lower than what he thinks they should be, then they are just being an ass! and should be removed from a position that requires public contact.

As of late. the enforcement department has become more or less the "Harassment Department"

I went around & around with a warden on my boat registration numbers one year, he said they did not contrast enough from the color of the boat. I had "mexican Chrome" numbers with a 1/2" outline of that green to purple color changing vinyl on the dark green metal-flake stripe on my boat. They were clearly visible!

They contrasted fine, but not enough for him apparently. the judge took a look at the pictures of my numbers and dismissed the charges. and gave the warden a reaming in the court room.

My point to all this;
Some people in the law enforcement field think they write the laws. And will ticket for items that are fully legal according to the current statutes. This causes problems for everyone, it makes them look like an ass, it creates a hassle for the wrongly accused, it ties up court time. and for someone from out of state, it is cheaper to just pay the fine, and let the overzealous warden continue with their personal harassment campaign.

or anoter scenario, your wrongly accused, you go to court, and Nielsen is presiding. He finds you guilty even if the cop admits he messed up and the Prosecutor offers to drop the charges!

So Sledboy, re-read the statutes and don't issue citations based on your personal opinions.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.