Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed Carbon Tech reeds, SW intake kit, 23/40 gear swap,shimmed the secondary to specs , even cleaned the power valves( really were very clean after 700 miles) ....and had Pizza and beverages at the break!....all in just 2 hrs.

DP Clutch kit was already installed last week and had solid results...these little extra tricks should help a bit on top also.....Look out ZR 900's and also ......"Oh Canada".... hope to see you on the river saturday!

I'll post some results after testing...Thanks also to "Crewchief 1327"

Captainkirk

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Originally posted by captainkirk@Jan 9 2003, 10:54 PM
DP Clutch kit was already installed last week and had solid results
How 'bout some details on those "solid results" please?! -- Roy

·
Registered
701 Posts
I'm thinking about doing the same thing to mine. Where did you get your carbon tech reeds, I did not see part number for Firecat on website. Also, did the reeds and air intake change your RPM's with your DP clutch kit?
thanks, keep us updated!

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Gonna have to wait to run me Captain. I am heading up to riding mountain tonight. I will get some miles on her this weekend, performance parts will be here next week, then I will be ready to open up a can of whoooop asssssss! :D

Good luck, have a good weekend.

Let us know how things workout!

·
Registered
962 Posts
How do you clean the power valves. I was going to detail the machine top to bottom tonight. Going to pull the pipe and check cylinders over and spark plugs. Greese, wax, shine .... Stuff like that. I`m pretty mechanical. I`ve taken all the Power classes in HS and now I`m a tutor for the Advanced class. But I know 4 - strokes. 2 - strokes I know but not as much and mostly weed wips and other small stuff.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Powervalve cleaning should be similar to this...

APV Cleaning

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Boys

Have not tested with the new stuff that I had installed last night as indicated in the first post...The only thing I have run/tested is the Dakota Performance clutch kit......I have found that it will pull 4-6 sled lengths faster/quicker up to the 85-90 mph mark and have found no gain in the top end....With this clutch kit installed or even when stock...I have not seen more than 108 mph on the speedo...These were under hardpacked snow conditions, 1/2-3/4 mile runs down a river.

Now with the gear change I should see a tad more on top.....The Carbon Tech reeds are from my 01 800 zr...they are the same....I pulled them out before unloading it...Lucky me!...If you are looking at these reeds they are the high tension type.

As for setting the secondary to spec, I meant that I checked the belt deflection and it was way to sloppy...With the DP kit installed I had to pull out the 2 thinest shims...belt no sits just under 1/8" about the sheave...should make for a better hole shot..

As for cleaning the valves, they are similar to the link shown by ZR800efi but the F cat are simpler to clean...just undo the two 7/16 or 10mm bolts ( not sure of the size) on the valve top. No need to take out the allen head bolts....After the 2 7/16 bolts are removed you should be able to just carefully pull up the entire assembly till the slide clears out of its slot, it may stick a bit because of the carbon...Then once removed just spray a carbon cleaner on the slide and use a sharp razor the help clean of stubborn carbon deposits...I only have 700mi on the sled and they were very clean...I only had to spray and clean with rag.. I use Castrol Oil in my sled and have had great results.

When doing the reeds, I had the pipe and "Y" pipe off and took a peek inside....Looked minty !! I have always let me sled run and warm up till the right side running board edge was warm to the touch...takes 8-10 minutes, slightly longer when very cold outside..

As for the Speedwerx intake, I have been informed when the temp gets really cold.....-20Celcius or colder, I should flip the switch to Ethanol to richen the mix up 3% for a little extra safety..

So if tomorrow works for me , I should hit the river and meet the boys for a little testing...

Too bad "Oh Canada" cant be there, I would have liked to test against his stock sled to mine with the add ons....No probs...we will meet soon enough, I'll give him somtime to put on a few miles and get use to his new ride.....I'm sure he'll enjoy it !

I'll post some results sat or sunday night if there is someone to race against..

Later dudes,

Captainkirk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts