Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 98 zr 50 with the stock reeds and figure i should replace them before they do some damage but should i stay stock or get something like boyensens or vforce or something of the like? And whats everybodys take on reed spacers...do they really do anything or are they just pricy chunks of aluminum??? and if ither of these things are better than stick where do they help out in the powerband?

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you don't mind spending the extra money I would go with the valves. They do a lot more work on the cages to improve the flow than the stock ones do. Boyesen is the one that really started the reed valve thing. I also heard from someone at Hot Seat that the rad valves tended to make more power in the xc800 than the v-force did, while I don't know if the same is true for your sled.

·
Registered
524 Posts
reeds, spacers and valves are a waste of money on a 500. i had boyesen petals on my 600 and was no better than stock. if petals need replacing stick with stock and spend you money on a clutch kit.

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lol the sled has twin pipes a powerbreather and a clutch...all from D&D. so the clutch kit thing is all covered. thats also y i asked because i heard that with the mods on your sled the more that will show from reed changes and for 60 bucks i cant imagine that the boyensen reeds are that much different that stock price wise.

·
Registered
524 Posts
lol the sled has twin pipes a powerbreather and a clutch...all from D&D. so the clutch kit thing is all covered. thats also y i asked because i heard that with the mods on your sled the more that will show from reed changes and for 60 bucks i cant imagine that the boyensen reeds are that much different that stock price wise.[/b]
this information would have been useful in your original post. :frech32: valves might help more on a sled with mods, still don't think the gains are worth it unless you got money burning a hole in your pocket. :div20:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Reeds won't do much for you on top end, but with a set of twin pipes on a 500 they should really help out in the midrange. People get goofy about horsepower, I will tell you that I did notice the difference on my XC800 in the midrange when I put the reeds in. They are not going to make the sled unable to hold on to, just gives you a bit of extra pull down low. If you do put them in let me know if you thinks it helped at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
As former employee of D&D the zr 500 and 600 really benefit from V-Force reeds they atomize fuel better and give a much needed boost in low end power that was lost in the pipe install. As far as Boysons saw an 11hp drop on the dyno with a zr 800 with the rad valves and the replacement pedals were same as stock,figure that one out. The v-force show 4 hp gain but also showed a wider power band up on top end seemed to smooth out fuel flow.
Reed spacers are not needed on a zr 500 base vlume is already good for cylinder filling and case is not in the way of any flow plus it would take away even more low end power. hope it snows soon.Hope this helps it should.

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sorry bout not having all the info in the original post lol. but thanks for all the help guys i think im gonna go with the boyensen power reeds because i dont have the money for the v force and even if i had the money it dont sound like i would buy the rads lol. Happy New Years everyone. Squidlo when i get um ill tell you how they ended up working...if we ever stop getting RAIN!!!

·
Premium Member
12,762 Posts
As far as Boysons saw an 11hp drop on the dyno with a zr 800 with the rad valves and the replacement pedals were same as stock,figure that one out. The v-force show 4 hp gain but also showed a wider power band up on top end seemed to smooth out fuel flow.

Maybe on the dyno but certainly not in real world testing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts