Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in the lat 80s I remember snowmobiling to Red's Cabin in Topsham or East Corinth and wonder if his cabin is still "open" to snowmobilers. He was an older guy, I think, who went south for the Vermont winters and left his camp open for those who needed a place to stay free of charge. he left a log book on the kitchen table and a note that simply asked visitors to leave the place cleaner than how they found it. Every time I went there the place was spotless because people were so appreciative of his generosity. Does the place still exist? It was on rt 5 with an awesome view of Topsham village. Does anyone have information on this place or similar places in VT?

·
Registered
9,674 Posts
in the lat 80s I remember snowmobiling to Red's Cabin in Topsham or East Corinth and wonder if his cabin is still "open" to snowmobilers. He was an older guy, I think, who went south for the Vermont winters and left his camp open for those who needed a place to stay free of charge. he left a log book on the kitchen table and a note that simply asked visitors to leave the place cleaner than how they found it. Every time I went there the place was spotless because people were so appreciative of his generosity. Does the place still exist? It was on rt 5 with an awesome view of Topsham village. Does anyone have information on this place or similar places in VT?[/b]
Wow, thats a rarity that I doubt exists much more, people seem so much more direspectful now than just a few decades ago, places that were not locked back then pretty much all have locks on them now, including my place in Lunenburg. It would be nice to see those days again, however I think its about as likely as gas at one dollar a gallon again,..

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Wow, thats a rarity that I doubt exists much more, people seem so much more direspectful now than just a few decades ago, places that were not locked back then pretty much all have locks on them now, including my place in Lunenburg. It would be nice to see those days again, however I think its about as likely as gas at one dollar a gallon again,..[/b]
Someone probably has burned it down by now.......unfortunatly.......thats what people have resorted too in the last few years,TONS of burned down camps throughout the state.

I do remember of a few other places like this,and as you stated,those days are long gone,but for some,are not forgotten........

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Someone probably has burned it down by now.......unfortunatly.......thats what people have resorted too in the last few years,TONS of burned down camps throughout the state.

I do remember of a few other places like this,and as you stated,those days are long gone,but for some,are not forgotten........[/b]

yea, you guys are probably right. I just checked on the map and it was at OE81 where 302B and 5 meet. If you were to go up the little hill 50 yards, there is the house. I used to have a house in East corinth and then in Topsham growing up, but have not been back there in years. I liked the riding: a good mix of fields and tight wooded trails. Nothing like airport rd in Somerset! I know there is a guy on this board from West topsham, so maybe he knows what has become of "Red's cabin." Wouldn't it be great if these types of places still existed?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I live in West Topsham and i haven't heard of that before but only been here 23years my Father-inlaw has lived here his whole life (along with my wife) i will try and ask her tonight and see if she has ever heard of this camp/cabin if not i'll ask my father-inlaw he should know where it is ! he's a old snowmobiler from way back and knows just about everything about this place ! was it in W.Topsham or E.Topsham ?I'am sure it hasn't been around in sometime but i'll ask them and I'll try and get back as soon as i can !

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I live in West Topsham and i haven't heard of that before but only been here 23years my Father-inlaw has lived here his whole life (along with my wife) i will try and ask her tonight and see if she has ever heard of this camp/cabin if not i'll ask my father-inlaw he should know where it is ! he's a old snowmobiler from way back and knows just about everything about this place ! was it in W.Topsham or E.Topsham ?I'am sure it hasn't been around in sometime but i'll ask them and I'll try and get back as soon as i can ![/b]

greenf7-
It was in East Topsham. If you started at the East Corinth General Store and headed toward East Corinth village you would soon get to Topsham Four Corners. Swamp road is on the right and if you took a left you would go up a hill. Red's cabin is at the top of that hill right on the snowmobile trail, though not immediately visible. I think it is located at OE81, where 302B and 5 intersect. We had a place up in your next of the woods from 71-1989. I really miss it up there!

·
Registered
335 Posts
I know the area that your talking about remember the trails have changed quite a bit, 5 crosses Harts Rd just after the village of Topsham .The atv club is loaned some land about 1.5 miles up that Rd awesome views they let atv's camp there for free and even has some older campers you could use free of charge It's off trail however up Harts rd. this is near the area your talking about(but further up) i'll snap some pics of the area next time we ride by, probably not for a couple of weeks though that 5 trail has some tough water bars that would need to freeze first.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know the area that your talking about remember the trails have changed quite a bit, 5 crosses Harts Rd just after the village of Topsham .The atv club is loaned some land about 1.5 miles up that Rd awesome views they let atv's camp there for free and even has some older campers you could use free of charge It's off trail however up Harts rd. this is near the area your talking about(but further up) i'll snap some pics of the area next time we ride by, probably not for a couple of weeks though that 5 trail has some tough water bars that would need to freeze first.[/b]

Topper302,
I know where Hart's road is because I had a house on Powder Spring Rd in the late 1980s. If I recall, trail 5 has always crossed Hart's road right at the trailer. The area I'm talking about is not that far down trail 5, however. If you were on the Topsham Corinth road headed toward the Topsham Four Corners, you could take a right (left would be swamp road to Ryegate) on Colby road. Go to the top and trail 5 crosses somewhere near the top. (from the West Topsham side of the hill the road is the Watson Hill Road). If you look on the google map, the place I am talking about is actually in the center of the map, and all you need to do is zoom. Let me know if you think you know the place. Thanks for your interest in Red's Cabin.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...c=addr&om=1

·
Registered
335 Posts
Topper302,
I know where Hart's road is because I had a house on Powder Spring Rd in the late 1980s. If I recall, trail 5 has always crossed Hart's road right at the trailer. The area I'm talking about is not that far down trail 5, however. If you were on the Topsham Corinth road headed toward the Topsham Four Corners, you could take a right (left would be swamp road to Ryegate) on Colby road. Go to the top and trail 5 crosses somewhere near the top. (from the West Topsham side of the hill the road is the Watson Hill Road). If you look on the google map, the place I am talking about is actually in the center of the map, and all you need to do is zoom. Let me know if you think you know the place. Thanks for your interest in Red's Cabin.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...c=addr&om=1[/b]
Okay I see where it's at now, i did'nt have a vast map with me, i'll check around some old timers see what they say but now that I know where you mean i'll check it out next ride.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay I see where it's at now, i did'nt have a vast map with me, i'll check around some old timers see what they say but now that I know where you mean i'll check it out next ride.[/b]

I'm eager to hear the report of that area topper! Does trail 5 also head by the old copper mines in Vershire, I think, or has that trail been closed? I really miss that area, and one reason I loved it was that you could head out on a Saturday or Sunday and run into only a half a dozen sleds!

·
Registered
335 Posts
I'm eager to hear the report of that area topper! Does trail 5 also head by the old copper mines in Vershire, I think, or has that trail been closed? I really miss that area, and one reason I loved it was that you could head out on a Saturday or Sunday and run into only a half a dozen sleds![/b]
Tirolskier: I think I found your cabin. Is this it?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tirolskier: I think I found your cabin. Is this it?[/b]

topper302-

That's it! Nice work! Probably "no trespassing" signs around it I would imagine. I loved the view from the cabin's front porch. On a clear day in the summer I recall seeing Mt. Washington to the east--no kidding. How is the riding up there? I won't be able to get up there this winter, I'm afraid, but next winter it's on my list. Maybe we can ride up in that neck of the woods.

·
Registered
335 Posts
topper302-

That's it! Nice work! Probably "no trespassing" signs around it I would imagine. I loved the view from the cabin's front porch. On a clear day in the summer I recall seeing Mt. Washington to the east--no kidding. How is the riding up there? I won't be able to get up there this winter, I'm afraid, but next winter it's on my list. Maybe we can ride up in that neck of the woods.[/b]
Tirolskier; When I went out monday morning at 7AM it was -6 as you can see from the pics there was'nt a cloud in the sky I did 75 miles and did'nt see one sled. The view from the cabin is incredible i could see Mt Washington it was that clear. I can't believe how many times i've ridden by that place and never knew it was there. took some back trails 25c lil goat trails they were in awesome shape .The riding is really holding up well ,let me know when your headin this way always looking to ride and meet a fellow sledder. Here's a couple more pics.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts