Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if red headlight covers are avalible for firecats. i think they would look cool on a red machine.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I agree with you 100% on the looking cool. BUT, I really doubt any company will start making red light covers again due to all the complaints about them. The arguement is that they look too much like tail lights, so you don't know if a sled is coming at you or pulling away. I can see their point at night but in the day... come on! In NY and some other states I know won't even let you have the red covers on in the day, which I think I crap. What do you people think about it? Don't get me wrong, I don't believe people should be allowed to have them at night, but banning them from day-use makes no sense. <_<

·
Premium Member
3,765 Posts
red and blue and yellow are emergency vehicle colors,
or for rescue vehicle colors.
they would probably confuse some people.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Yes, but they allow every color besides red.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I was almost a victim of the red colored headlight covers, just try making an instant decision as one is comming at you in heavy snow dust. IMO, they would not be on any sled. I know I might be hard on this subject, but after too many close calls on the trails this year, I really can't support those that have them at all.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't even think about that stuff, all very good points. I was just thinking about what would look the coolest. Any one have smoke headlight covers on a red machine?

·
Registered
962 Posts
I`ve seen yellow and blue on polaris machines.

Red wont fly because of Tail Lights. Wouldn`t be able to tell if its comin or going.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I've talked to three snowmobile riders this year who had red head light covers. I related a story I heard on the internet to one of them. Where a guy did a front end crash with a guy during a snowstorm because he had a red headlight cover and the guy without the cover was following a group in snowy conditions and mistook the headlight for a taillight.

THE LAW IN MICHIGAN:
For this reason it is AGAINST the law to have a red head light cover on when you ride in Michigan.

The last guy I talked to was a Yamaha rider. I told him the story at a gas station in Cross Village and he looked at me and said, "you know I have a red head light cover?" I said, "yeah that's why I'm telling you this story. . . it's against the law to have one". He then said, "yeah I had a deputy on a sled tell me I wasn't supposed to have one on my sled a few (months) ago, etc. . . I wondered why?" The guy didn't take it off even when told it was illegal.

I left thinking, "What a DUMBA__! ! !"

So this made me think, they need to amend the law in Michigan to say something to the effect of "YOU WILL LOSE YOUR HEADLIGHT COVER ON THE TRAIL IMMEDIATELY" if it is illegal. They need this LAW on the books because of DUMBA__ riders who like RED HEADLIGHT COVERS more than safety.

BTW: Three of the four riders I saw with red headlight covers were Yamaha drivers.

ALSO: I talked to the group this guy was in before telling him the story about head light covers and didn't even tell him the story in front of his kids so as not to embarass the guy or appear to be some kind of smart ass AC rider with an attitude against Yamaha. They seemed to be nice guys and this guy was probably at least 55 years old, but apparently dumb as dirt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts