Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
After doing seet covers for 15 years i have come the conclusion that they just suck to work on and there really isnt a good way to explain how to do it but it helps to just watch somone do it and you can get the hang of it that way good luck.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
IT IS NOT AS HARD AS IT LOOKS BUT IT IS DIFFICULT. I JUST RECOVERD THE SEAT ON MY 98 XLT. IT WAS THE FIRST ONE THAT I HAVE EVER DONE. IT WAS A TWO MAN JOB THOUGH. IT TOOK MY FATHER AND I ABOUT 45 MIN TO STRETCH AND STAPLE IT DOWN AND THAT INCLUDED TIME FOR FATHER SON DISAGREEMENTS. IT IS SOMETHING THAT CAN BE DONE BY AMATUERS AS LONG AS YOU HAVE A LITTLE PATIENCE.

GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
I don't think its too hard. Just did a rev seat. Did a few older indy's back in the day. Newer seats with the plastic bottom a good staple gun is a must, pneumatic if possible.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
If your useing a factory skin its not to bad just take your time.I marked where the old skin was before takin it off to see where the new one needed streched to.I started in front
I did this one before last season.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I did a few back in the 70's when seats were square and they came out ok. Now I'm attempting to rebuild a mid 90's seat and it's much more challenging. What to use for foam? I am thinking of leaving a little of the old foam as a base and replacing everything above with "nu-foam" which seems softer. It will also be 2" taller than stock. I am using cloth backed vinyl and trying to reuse the storage compartment may not be worth it. What kind of staples do you need for the plastic base? If you are using the stock foam and cover it shouldn't be too bad.

·
Registered
11,075 Posts
They're not too bad, just gotta use elbow grease. Make sure graphics aren't stretched so they're uneven, make sure you use the proper length staples, and they seat all te way. Air staplers make it easier, as well as those reverse handle Craftsman type staplers. I usually tack a few key points, on each side, and then work to the ends, a couple staples on each side at a time. Don't be afraid to pull some staples out, if a section isn't coming out so well, and re-do.

·
Registered
325 Posts
i've done many, dads an upholsterer its not that hard just be patient and make sure eveything is lined up right. one thing thats very important, if its a 1 piece seat and tank, be sure not to staple into the tank on the bottom, sounds obvious, but you would'nt believe the # of seats i've seen that done to.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
:banghead: :banghead: i just finished one on a 99 xcr8, bought a seat off e-bay that was supposed to be the same, NOT! SO I TOOK THE COVER OFF THE E-BAY SEAT AND PUT IT ON THE XCR SEAT, PIECE OF CAKE!, AFTER I WENT TO LOWES AND BOUGHT ELECTRIC STAPLER !!! a hand stapler makes it a job! have a 2nd person to help pull cover tight. and hold in place while you staple.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.