Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a new 05 F7 efi joker and I was wondering how many? and what types of studs to run in it?

I have heard some people mention that the double backers work good for the firecats but I don't know. So that is why I thought I would ask the people that know.

My other plans include a clutch kit and possibly reeds but does anyone know if I will have to adjust anything with the computer if reeds are put on?

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
WELCOME TO THE SITE!

Ok for studs, witht he 1" track. I would suggest 153 Woodys Golddiggers or equiv. In whatever pattern woodys or other stud mfg. recommends(they sell templates, grab one) Double or single backers, dont really matter much. I suggest size 1.175 , They wont tear out when they grab a rock but they;ll penetrate nice.

A clutch kit, The best in the buisness is right here. www.theoutdoorshopinc.com Grab one of his clutch kits, everyone raves about them.

And reeds, Dont waste your money. No gains have been recorded from reeds, If you REalllyy want to see some improvement INvest in one of "the outdoorshops" 2.5 degree timing keys. That will give you some Throttle response and a crisper faster running motor.

SOLDD

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Originally posted by Lickity Split@Aug 31 2005, 10:38 AM
A question abou the timing key, can you run regular 87 octane after??  And how much of a job is it to replace?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=854867
[/quote]

need to run good fuel with more timming.

installing the key is not a big job. Remove recoil then remove flywheel change stock key with new one. You need a good puller to pull the flywheel...and it can be a bitch to get off!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, for the advice

ANother question will the clutch kit from ODS help with the problems people are experiencing with the top end not performing.

And also will I be able to compete or beat my brothers stock 04 ZR900 with this upgrade.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
theres a good chance you will be able to beat your brother as it sits right now...

i would recommend getting a service manual if you dont have a lot of experience with these motors... i have one and it helps a lot! a lot easier to get your answers right there in your garage instead of waiting to get online... :div20:

also the clutch kit will help but theres a better fix to the top end problems... look around here theres already posts about this... :div20:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is a family the I ride with that knows alot about sleds and they have been trying to teach me things.

Thanks for the advice about the manual. I towuld be nice to know somethings that they don't.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Originally posted by jeffh62@Aug 31 2005, 10:50 AM
need to run good fuel with more timming. 

installing the key is not a big job.  Remove recoil then remove flywheel change stock key with new one.  You need a good puller to pull the flywheel...and it can be a bitch to get off!!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=854882
[/quote]

Will this void factory warranty??

·
Registered
659 Posts
On the Saber Traction web site it says that for trail riding use 153 studs and for performance use 102, why is it that you use less studs for performance? Will you still get enought traction?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Originally posted by ZT260@Aug 31 2005, 01:03 PM
Who sells a good puller?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=855141
[/quote]

Nobody but Cat, at 170 bucks, i bought a harmonic balancer puller for 14 from autozone put some grease on the threads and it worked fine. SLP makes a puller for polaris but you would need to drill some new holes in it to make it work. Might be easier to have a shop pull it for you.

As far as the studs i wouldn't go less than 153 and use the templates since you cannot stud the center of the track or the outer edges without causing damage to the sled.

·
Premium Member
2022XCR850137 / 2022 SL 850 Boost
6,712 Posts
I have 144 Woodys megabites,down the center,singles and doubles,this fall i will be adding them in the closed windows under the rail :div20:

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Originally posted by Lickity Split@Aug 31 2005, 03:44 PM
On the Saber Traction web site it says that for trail riding use 153 studs and for performance use 102, why is it that you use less studs for performance?  Will you still get enought traction?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=855424
[/quote]

The only reason i can see for this is if your using less studs you'd be running them Longer, or a different type of stud (ie. A chizzel instead of a trailstud)
Or when running high speeds you want less rotating mass on the track, so you'd want to use less studs??

The Clutch kit won't cure top end problems, but theres a pretty good chance your sled wont have any. My standard carb(slightly lessHP) did 110 out of the box on a warm day in slushy conditions, and it wasnt as long as i could hold it, i had to let off for the end of the strip was coming, No more then 2000' But the ODS kit will give you improved midrange and low end power, and maybe a couple up top.

Premium fuel is recommended with the Key, but i've herd of people who go without.

the 2004 ZR 900 is not a hard sled to beat at all. Even with a thousand dollars in clutch parts.

·
Banned
1,883 Posts
SLP has a good puller, i used it on my cat with out drilling or any modifying my puller.

EDIT: unless your ice racing your wasting your money&time on anymore studs then 102, 102 will be fine for trail riding and racing on a snow packed trail. Place studs on pressure points and you won't need as much studs.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Originally posted by my cat eats dogs@Sep 1 2005, 12:03 AM
SLP has a good puller, i used it on my cat with out drilling or any modifying my puller.
EDIT: unless your ice racing your wasting your money&time on anymore studs then 102, 102 will be fine for trail riding and racing on a snow packed trail. Place studs on pressure points and you won't need as much studs.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=856250
[/quote]

102 studs is not enough on a F7 doesn't matter how you ride it...you will end up pulling studs out to much HP per stud at 102. minuim is 136 even this is not enough.

·
Banned
1,883 Posts
Originally posted by jeffh62@Sep 1 2005, 04:35 AM
102 studs is not enough on a F7 doesn't matter how you ride it...you will end up pulling studs out to much HP per stud at 102.  minuim is 136 even this is not enough.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=856389
[/quote]

Yea ok sir!!, i've seen many 800's with only 96 studs with a few thousand miles on a track that races cross country. The tracks blow before any studs pull out, it will happen if you go way overboard on the stud length, i've seen it before. But 102 is more then enough FOR trail riding, i've ran 68 in my f6 and f5 and no problems.

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
Originally posted by f7scotgun@Aug 31 2005, 09:24 AM
I just purchased a new 05 F7 efi joker and I was wondering how many? and what types of studs to run in it?

I have heard some people mention that the double backers work good for the firecats but I don't know. So that is why I thought I would ask the people that know.

My other plans include a clutch kit and possibly reeds but does anyone know if I will have to adjust anything with the computer if reeds are put on?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=854753
[/quote]

Do you mind if I ask what you had to give OTD for that sled? Also what color? I am looking at a '05 F7 Black Widow carb, would really like the EFI. Where did you find that Joker?

Nice Sled, If I were you burn AMSOIL Interceptor, I put 4300 miles on my F5 and the valves have no carbon build up.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have a 2003 F7 and have put over 3,000 miles on my sled with 102 woody's studs. 102 is enough for trail riding easily. I haven't lose any. It hooks up ok from the stand still and hooks up better when going 40-50 mph. Just my experience with it. I just bought a 2005 F7 and will be putting 102 studs on this one as well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts