Hardcore Sledder banner

Recommended skid for swap on a 89 Phzr

13K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  newoldstock 
#1 ·
Looking to upgrade the rear suspension. Are there any skids imparticular that work better for this. I would like to go to a 136" track. Any particular brands (poo, skidoo, cat) work better than others when swapping? From what it sounds like the front axle of the suspension will need to be trimmed down to fit in the tunnel and new rear mounts need to be fabricated.

#3 · (Edited)
I think the Phazers of that era had a similar tunnel to the Ovation and I squeezed a 2007 Phazer skid in my OVT without any hiccups.
All I did was change the drivers to 2.52 pitch to fit the newer style track and moved the stock rear mounts a couple inches to fit the rear mounting bolt. It only involved drilling a dozen rivets and re-installing new ones. Very easy to do.

Big improvement in comfort and deep snow performance.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ThdGwujZkWASbkoxSXby-_FmhKD1GEXo

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mktjoINpFtXfgR_ktahZFUKOrcLhLELY

#4 ·
Winter is coming and I have a 91 phazer two with some kind of old Doo skid and worn out track under it.

This is for my son and I could use push to get it done before the snow comes.
Is there a how to do this kind of swap information you fellows could point me towards?

I would really like to use this old phazer because its small light and just about right for a 14 year old by my best reconing.
In the 80s I had one and thought a lot of the machine.

#5 ·
Winter is coming and I have a 91 phazer two with some kind of old Doo skid and worn out track under it.

This is for my son and I could use push to get it done before the snow comes.
Is there a how to do this kind of swap information you fellows could point me towards?

I would really like to use this old phazer because its small light and just about right for a 14 year old by my best reconing.
In the 80s I had one and thought a lot of the machine.
A lot of Phazer owners have swapped Ski Doo SC10 rear skids into these. I've read this is a cheap upgrade that only requires the skid mounts to be relocated. Do you have any pics of the skid in your Phazer II? Are you looking to replace the skid or just the track?

This should be a great sled for a 14 year old, good luck!

#6 ·
I would like to replace the entire skid and I need a new track.

It has an old Mach Z skid under it now with a worn out track.
Just like this one...
Removing link because I am new and can not post that links or picture
But use your imagination and think 95 Mach Z.

It has a mixture of Venture body work to repair some damage from years past ( looks like a bad roll over )
But the day I went to see it last year it started with one pull, the clutch engaged and worked smoothly and nostalgia got the better of me and I was in 1986 again.

I found another that seems to have a decent track and if I can buy the whole track tunnel and skid ( machine being parted out already missing engine and body work ).
Maybe I can hobble together a reliable Phazer 2 for this season.

I don't want to disappoint the boy... you know....
Maybe the junk under it now can survive a winter of gentle prodding by a 14 year old Ha Ha.
I might be kidding myself here....

I am new to this forum but the lay out looks familiar maybe I cam post some pictures this morning.

#10 ·
I am a generation behind chum.
I don't really want a snow machine, I am just trying to do something nice on a budget.
Yamaha of this era was still designed as much on paper as in a computer so there is wiggle room and error on the side of caution robustness in the design.
Yes the Pogo suspension was a developmental dead end for Yamy, but its better than the Jag 2000 I had at his age.

I am the kind of fellow that would buy an old boat with a 33hp big twin Johnson and suck up the extra fuel costs because its something very simple and familiar to me.
Give me an Onan over Honda any day.
I still cut my grass with a D series lawnboy.
Simplicity and robustness of design means you can make things last a very long time and fix them without losing your mind when they do break.

The young guys at work pointed me to this website, they said I would get some useful help here.
What I do not need is a modern sled with 10 grand sunk in and 4 times as many moving parts waiting move the wrong way in the hands of a 14 year old that can barely chew gum and walk.
All a dad wants is often a simple you know.
Another thing, close observation of the under 40 crowd I work with on their sleds and they drive too fast and get towed home more often than I would expect from these great new 4 stroke machines.
I don't need that, I want him to move slower and change his plugs and belts at the side of the trail and just not have as much to go wrong.

#9 ·
If you use Facebook, there is a group called "Fans of Yamaha Phazer 485/Exciter 570 Snowmobiles" that I'd check out. Lots of parts for sale and info.

Unless the skid is shot, I'd just swap a used track and call it a day. 121 x 15 track with .9" to 1" lugs and a 2.52 pitch should be cheap and easy to find. Swapping a track is easy and tons of vids on YouTube for how to do it.

#13 ·
Well here I sit on a Friday afternoon with a gouty foot and sad old Phazer.

Hoping someone can point a way to some drilling distances and technical specs on grafting a SC4 136 to a Phazer 2.
But I am still open to other options fellas.

What would be better sitting in the yard at Broken Toys that I could adapt to fit a P2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.