Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking for some advice for my new standard F7...in regards to changes or adjustments that need to be made. How is the sled with the stock carbides...does it come with 4" or 6"? How is the sled without studs? Im still confused regarding all of the updates that have been done & everything that I need to watch out for & things that might go wrong....Anyway any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
701 Posts
I have 144 studs up the middle, and stud boy shaper carbides up front (6"). Limiter strap in middle hole, and all other shocks about in the middle. This sled is a dream!
One thing you will notice..it feels tippy at first. I don't know why, but after you ride it a bit you will realize that it handles real flat. A buddy of mine rode it for about 2 miles once and didn't like it...then the next time he wouldn't get off it!

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
weve had an outstanding winter so far so there has been plenty of snow for riding. however lately, were down to hard packed and ice conditions and studs would definetly come in handy. i am gonna stud mine soon as i can if they dont soak me for a new stator.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
i have a f7sp with 102 woody's and 8'' woody carbides turn and hooks real well, also look at the tsb and see which one is for your sled

·
Registered
820 Posts
I was told that 102 would give you a loss of 7mph on top end, the weight issue. I would think it would depend on your riding conditions, I run unstudded and ride with two studded guys, we have switched sleds, different braking was my big thing I saw, I am so used to mine that it would take a long ride to get comfortable with it!

·
Premium Member
3,765 Posts
in my opion.....NO! you will bend and or wear them out faster
think of it as a bed of nails.....would you rather lie down on 102,
or say 140?? more studs mean less wear on on all of them.
i looked at mine last night(i have 136 in a standard)
and noticed a couple are starting to bend (just a little )
also noticed some wear.......800 miles.

·
Registered
173 Posts
thanks a lot guys, just thinking, I probably will be spending a lot on carbides though if I do get studs, as I do a lot of in-town riding, use this thing everywhere I go, and my carbides are running out too fast having to cross roadsn'shit, it's probably going to be more hassle then anything.
on a better note; I did kick ass against a ZX 800 and we're both stock, boy was that an embarrasment for him, too bad....too bad :lol:

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Originally posted by alleycat@Feb 28 2003, 10:04 AM
in my opion.....NO! you will bend and or wear them out faster
think of it as a bed of nails.....would you rather lie down on 102,
or say 140?? more studs mean less wear on on all of them.
i looked at mine last night(i have 136 in a standard)
and noticed a couple are starting to bend (just a little )
also noticed some wear.......800 miles.
true but at the same time, 2 many and you "float" on them as oppose to hook real well

ps: i prefer to not lie on any nails :p

theres an math the the subject - x amount of hp = this amount of pics, etc

man that doesnt help at all :)

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I can't believe someone said you would lose 7mph with 102 studs. I've had as many as 192 in an SRX and it ran just as fast as an unstudded one.

I have 2200 miles on my F7 with 153 1.175 studs. No bends or pull throughs. It hooks up great and handles like a dream. I use the round plastic backers from Fast trac. I think they are less likely to cut into the rubber than metal backers when you do go over a rock.

·
Registered
593 Posts
you will not loose 7 mph on top with 102 studs. I did 136 and top end the same. IMO 102 is too little. I would go with 136 or 153 and good carbides six inches or more. a good set up to begin with is
-middle shock-back it off all the way and then tighten it one turn wile on track stand
-limiter strap- pull it up all the way (tightest hole if snopro)
-take the rear blocks out
-rear shocks- medium setting
-front shocks- stock
Go from here and see how you like it. The most important change you can make is to back the center shock spring preload down

·
Registered
534 Posts
Here's my opinion. I never ran it without studs, but it has so much power, studs are definately recommended.

You didn't say if you were getting the Sno-Pro or standard version.

My friend and I both have 156 studs in our track, using the Woody's template we installed the studs as recommended by Woody's 16 lugs, skip 1, then fill 16 lugs. Leaving 3 empty lugs and resulting in 144 studs. Then we wanting more instead of less took the INSIDE double pattern and used that stud pattern to install 4 studs in each of the remaining EMPTY lugs upping the number of studs to 156 and having a balanced track.

Now we wanted the track to be light so we saved about 3 pounds of rotating mass by using FAST TRAC backers and studs. The Fast Trac backers are plastic and come in a variety of colors. We both have 2100 miles on our sleds with very few problems.

As for 104, I think you'd be better with the 144 or 156 pattern and get more hook up power. As for studs bending. On the Sno-Pro version using the longer of the FAST Trac studs 1.5 inch my friend has bent about 12 studs in the last 2000 miles. Many people would have only replaced about 6 or 8 of them, but he's pretty picky so he replaces the ones that are slightly bent also. I have the 1 inch track and bent less than 3 studs in 2000 miles. These were minor bends and I haven't even replaced any of them. We both ride on the same trails. My friend probably bent the studs on low snow (rock) conditions. The Sno-Pro studs are longer for the longer track and will bend more easily. I have the slightly longer of the two Fast Trac recommends for the 1 inch track.

We both love our setup and wouldn't change anything. One day one backer was shattered (a single backer) on my friends Sno-Pro so he's replaced one or two backers in 2000 miles. I think he had another backer look a bit bent or weakened when the stud was bent, so he replaced that one to be safe. I've replaced NO backers on the one inch track.

We ride fairly aggressively on the trails, meaning 25 to 30% faster than most ZR riders. The only sleds that have passed us in the last 1000 miles was one guy riding a Firecat.

I have 10 inch AC carbides on the standard ski. You might be able to get by with 8 inch, but I wanted to have great control with 156 studs so I opted for 10 inch. My friend has the C&A ski and 6 1/2 inch carbides. His skis are a bit better in powder than the standard ski, His skis carve the trails pretty well for only having 6 1/2 inch carbides, but my skis carve icy turns a bit better probably because of the 10 inch carbide.

My suspension is set no different than stock except I have the coupling block set to 2 instead of stock which is a 1 setting. If you want the sled to rail more set the coupling block to 3 or do the limit strap adjustment thing. (I like a bit of ski lift, so I didn't do the limit strap adjustment thing.)

My friends Sno-Pro is setup with a heavy rider kit and a Dakota clutch. His Sno-Pro rocks. Compared to my standard it is much faster in a 500 or 600 ft race. It hooks up better and has a lot more low end and mid pull, but when it's time to go beyond 70 or 80 mph the standard starts to pass him and beats him top end on longer lake runs.

I highly recommend the Fast Trac studs. I've had Woody's on my ZR600 SE 2000 Blair Morgan sled and liked them also, but the weight savings and trouble free problems we've had with Fast Tracs makes these our choice for the Firecat.

The Fast Trac and Woody doubles have the same spacing, so if you decide to use Fast Trac doubles you can still use the Woody template. Fast Trac by the way doesn't have a template, so you'll want to get a Woody's template or some other template.

AC has a template that has a 170 stud pattern if you really want a lot of studs. I think it's probably a bit of overkill for 140 hp, but I guess it depends on the goals you have for your sled. If you plan on doing timing key and pipe mods to give the F7 more horsepower for lake racing, the 170 stud pattern might be preferable. Of course those high power mods would void your AC warrenty.

Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
i have almost the same setup, except woodys and alum backers, same pattern. 6" carbide was enough for me, limiter in the middle hole, not the tightest. rear springs on 2 & 3, has a pretty fierce kick back, need to get shocks revalved. love the studs, can't believe i've never used them before this sled. The extra traction and ability to stop better (and have more control, for that matter) in icy conditions is what sold me after almost eating Sh!t bigger than life last year in an icy ditch.

·
Registered
827 Posts
i have had studs on some of my sleds,i don't on my f7, i did notice a few things good about studs,but mostly on hard pack, and a few downers as well,,like holes in tunells, ripped heat exchangers,nothing like a ripped exchanger in the middle of bumf**cked egypt, will never stud my sleds again,but it is a preference,,,mike :blink:

·
Registered
831 Posts
I started with woody's 170 pattern, 1" track, and it worked well for trails. Did some radar runs and ended up going to 204 studs to get better hookup, 10" carbides, speedwerx air intake, VForce reeds, my sleds faster than other F7's I ride with and still handles kick ass on the trails!! :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
Read my thread "Fired up and ready to rock after the up days" a small type-o on my part, It's suppose to be "up dates." I have pictures and all up dates are complete. Tell me what you think?

Thaigon

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have just purchased my first F7 it has been nothing but a dream. I pumped 170 woodys in mine and the hook up is out of this world! I have been out with all my friends and they all want to ride it. Twice i have come home and found a note on the garage that it is out but without me!! Good friends huh?

Thank KDOG :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts