Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, wasn't going to post this, since I'm so upset about it, but figure I should share. Went to VT this past weekend for our own "border to border" ride. Started in Stratton and ended in Derby, +/- 550 miles round trip. Well to make a long story short, at mile 410, my broken recoil grenaded and took out the magneto, thus taking out all electrical power. I think that the speedo/tach is cooked also, as the tach is locked at 6500RPM. :unsure: This is the first bad thing to happen to me and I hope its just a fluke and not the start of something. Oh BTW, sled has about 950 miles on it.

Sled going to the dealer tomorrow, I'll have to see if anything else is wrong. :(

Rob, broke down right in your backyard, ended up waiting for a trailer in Hardwick VT. :blink: Kinda scary place for an out-of-stater. :D

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No nothing from the dealer, but it was pretty obvious that the nut came loose and the recoil came apart.

·
Registered
298 Posts
the 4 nuts that hold it on or the one on the inside that hold everything together? riding from chester to canada so i just wanted to check my recoil but did not want to take everything apart thanks

S

·
0 Posts
Tach shouldn't be harmed.

When I blew my sled up 2 weekends ago, when it shut down, the tach was stuck on 6500 also. As soon as I got it fired back up, it was working normally.

And yes, even the new updated recoils that cat gave us to replace the junk ones are coming apart.

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by schifty@Feb 10 2003, 04:10 PM
the 4 nuts that hold it on or the one on the inside that hold everything together? riding from chester to canada so i just wanted to check my recoil but did not want to take everything apart thanks
The one inside. I recommend that you take the recoil assembly off an loctite that sucker before your trip.

Chester to Canada huh? Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Originally posted by Jay@Feb 4 2003, 02:52 PM
OK, wasn't going to post this, since I'm so upset about it, but figure I should share. Went to VT this past weekend for our own "border to border" ride. Started in Stratton and ended in Derby, +/- 550 miles round trip. Well to make a long story short, at mile 410, my broken recoil grenaded and took out the magneto, thus taking out all electrical power. I think that the speedo/tach is cooked also, as the tach is locked at 6500RPM. :unsure: This is the first bad thing to happen to me and I hope its just a fluke and not the start of something. Oh BTW, sled has about 950 miles on it.

Sled going to the dealer tomorrow, I'll have to see if anything else is wrong. :(

Rob, broke down right in your backyard, ended up waiting for a trailer in Hardwick VT. :blink: Kinda scary place for an out-of-stater. :D
I missed this post earlier..

Sorry for your problem, Jay.. Hardwick, wow! You should have gave me a call! That's about 15 min away. Were you at Lanphere's (AC dealer)? Have a pizza across the street while you waited? Bummer! Did you get home ok?

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by rob@Feb 10 2003, 04:45 PM
Sorry for your problem, Jay.. Hardwick, wow! You should have gave me a call! That's about 15 min away. Were you at Lanphere's (AC dealer)? Have a pizza across the street while you waited? Bummer! Did you get home ok?
Thanks Rob. Yup ended up at Lamphear's and them down the road at a convienience store. Only waited about 45 min. for a truck and trailer to show up, not bad. Got home fine. Actually considering where I was and how far away from my start point, I didn't make out too bad, just missed the last 150 miles of my trip. Gonna try it again once the 'ole F7 is ready to rock again.

·
Premium Member
4,428 Posts
all but 1 of the bolts fell out of mine. The last was 1/2 way out. Had to walk around the other cat guys and borrow 1 bolt from each sled. It was just hanging there and catching on the pawls. Rubbed the hell out of the cage. Sounded like a rod going out.

Last day go to load it up and the recoil rope breaks. (used a strap to start it.)

Thanks DSC (NOT!) for replacing the rope with the recalls. Another half assed dealer.

Pat

1 - 10 of 10 Posts