Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Supposedly, Ontario was considering allowing reciprocal sno pass arrangements with Manitoba. Anyone heard what's happening with this? So far, they won't honour our passes.:wtf:

gear

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I believe it has to do with the difference in price of our passes. If our pass was as much as theirs, they would probably honour it. Otherwise we're probably SOL.
There's been no grooming in the Kenora region for the last few years anyway, so you probably don't even need a pass to get to Kenora!
Does anyone know if the Sunset Trail Riders are again part of the OFSC and grooming trails this winter?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Kenora was groomed and signed last year. My buds and I went on our trip to Dryden. We didnt have an Ont pass and I was almost caught by the OPP on a sled outside of Kenora. Trails were not that great. Would rather stay in Man.
Best trail on the trip was from Kenora to Vermillion Bay. The power line that followed the highway was really fun. Lots of hills to fly over, and deep snow.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by BIO700@Oct 7 2005, 12:21 PM
Kenora was groomed and signed last year.  My buds and I went on our trip to Dryden.  We didnt have an Ont pass and I was almost caught by the OPP on a sled outside of Kenora.  Trails were not that great.  Would rather stay in Man.
Best trail on the trip was from Kenora to Vermillion Bay. The power line that followed the highway was really fun.  Lots of hills to fly over, and deep snow.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=914694
[/quote]

Yea, I've been on that trail to Vermillion Bay. That's a pretty wild trail!
The area around Andy Lake is very nice too.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
There aren't any plans in the future for reciprocity between Ontario and Manitoba.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Originally posted by Polaris_Dave@Oct 5 2005, 08:45 PM
I believe it has to do with the difference in price of our passes. If our pass was as much as theirs, they would probably honour it. Otherwise we're probably SOL.
There's been no grooming in the Kenora region for the last few years anyway, so you probably don't even need a pass to get to Kenora!
Does anyone know if the Sunset Trail Riders are again part of the OFSC and grooming trails this winter?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=911282
[/quote]

The Sunset Trail Riders snowmo club is back in business as of two years ago. The grooming got into full swing last year. Trails were opened and groomed from Kenora to Falcon Lake, West Hawk Lake, North West angle (CanAm trail) and a trail from Kenora to Halleys camp Northward. After Halleys we rode the Warner Lake road and picked up the Manitoba trail to Bird.

Last year we had lots of snow and there was a lot of slush. We had to pack trails with snow machines and run the groomers without the sleigh in order to pack down to slush. The trails were in good shape at the end of January. Could be the same this year if we don't get a good shot of cold weather (-25 and up for a week) during December before the snow comes.

STR just had a new online site created and it's up and running now. Just for information, the OPP are going to be showing the "colours" a bit more this years so keep your heads up. They plan to issue tickets. Up to $250.00 fine.

http://str.kenora.com/

This is a map of our trail system that we groomed last season.

[attachment=102352:attachment]

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hey Bio700,

I just noticed you have an 05 700, I have that same sled, I live in The Pas. Just wondering how you like your sled? i only got to put 300 miles on mine last yr, Bought it late in the winter.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Wow, great news about the Sunset Trail Riders. Does Ontario offer a day or weekend trail pass?
Had our club meeting tonight, it was verified that we still have an agreement with Sask, provided that they are grooming trails this year. It doesn't sound good for the association.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by toban@Oct 7 2005, 09:26 PM
Trails were opened and groomed from Kenora to Falcon Lake, West Hawk Lake, North West angle (CanAm trail) and a trail from Kenora to Halleys camp Northward.  After Halleys we rode the Warner Lake road and picked up the Manitoba trail to Bird. 
So how far is the trail groomed past Halley's camp? Is it hard to find the way from the end of the trail to the Werner Lake road?
Would you happen to have any GPS tracks?
Thanks
Nice web site!

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Originally posted by toban@Oct 7 2005, 08:26 PM
The Sunset Trail Riders snowmo club is back in business as of two years ago.  The grooming got into full swing last year.  Trails were opened and groomed from Kenora to Falcon Lake, West Hawk Lake, North West angle (CanAm trail) and a trail from Kenora to Halleys camp Northward.  After Halleys we rode the Warner Lake road and picked up the Manitoba trail to Bird. 

Last year we had lots of snow and there was a lot of slush.  We had to pack trails with snow machines and run the groomers without the sleigh in order to pack down to slush.  The trails were in good shape at the end of January.  Could be the same this year if we don't get a good shot of cold weather (-25 and up for a week) during December before the snow comes.

STR just had a new online site created and it's up and running now.  Just for information, the OPP are going to be showing the "colours" a bit more this years so keep your heads up.  They plan to issue tickets.  Up to $250.00 fine. 

http://str.kenora.com/

This is a map of our trail system that we groomed last season.
[attachment=102352:attachment]
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=915646
[/quote]

Can I make a suggestion...have trail passes for sale at the North West Angle and Oak Island for US riders riding out of that area.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Originally posted by rws@Oct 8 2005, 06:41 AM
Can I make a suggestion...have trail passes for sale at the North West Angle and Oak Island for US riders riding out of that area.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=915955
[/quote]

Thanks. I will most assuredly pass this one to the "execs".

Just as a point of information, the OFSC only offers "day" and "weekly" passes in addition to yearly passes. It has been suggested to the OFSC that "week end" passes would be welcomed and we hope to see some action soon.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Originally posted by Polaris_Dave@Oct 8 2005, 01:19 AM
So how far is the trail groomed past Halley's camp? Is it hard to find the way from the end of the trail to the Werner Lake road?
Would you happen to have any GPS tracks?
Thanks
Nice web site!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=915883
[/quote]

At the end of the 2005 season Sunset Trail Riders applied to the OFSC for permission to have that trail designated as an OFSC trail which would allow us to groom from Kenora to the Manitoba border (including going by Halleys). We did groom it last year as an experiment. We expect to have that permission soon. I think there is also a plan afoot for Manitoba to build/cut a trail from the restaurant at Bird or somewhere along there over to Ontario. There is a small unsigned bush trail that I think is the one that they may expand on, but I'm not sure. I think it is called or near a trail called the "Bear Trail"?

Making the transition onto and off the Werner Lake Road and picking up the Manitoba Trail is easy. Once you get off the Werner Lake road you go thru a little cottage community and not far ahead you come off the road and pick up the Manitoba Trail. There is a sign indicating the Manitoba trail.

No, I'm sorry, I don't have any GPS tracks. I am however, thinking of getting a newer GPS that would give me that ability. For now I'm just using a Lowrance 200 plotter.

Thanks

·
Registered
82 Posts
the werner lake road is part of the bear trail groomed by the nopoming snowmads, they also have a great map and gps waypoints on there website, not sure of the address but there is a link is you go to the snowman website and click on the link for nopomingsnowmads. the map doesn't show all the way to haleys but i think it goes to the the part of werner lake road where you turn off to go to haleys

1 - 14 of 14 Posts