Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbee here.
I have a 580 carb equiped Powder Special with a dead cylinder. What does a complete rebuild usually cost (top and bottom end)? Also, is it possible to rebore the cylinders to a larger size? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
For the bottom end you can probably a factory re-man crank for $4-500 with your core. This gets you all new bearings and con rods, just like new. These cylinders are nikasil plated, so if you bore them oversize you have to get them replated. TRhe plating is very hard, so you must evaluate whether the down cylinder is in need of replacement. If the plating is gouged through to the aluminum then you should be able to salvage the cylinder and just resurface it. You always want to resurface, fresh crosshatch, the cylinder when you put new rings in the bore. New pistons and rings are a simple and easy thing on these motors. Piston kits should probaly cost you less than $100 each. If you need a replacement cylinder a re-plated jug should be around $200 with core exchange. The base gaskets and head o-rings should be reuseable, but if you want a complete gasket set that might be another $50, or so. That is only guesses at the costs for the parts. If you pay someone to do the work I don't know what that would run, maybe $3 - 600. :dunno:
I'm going through something similar myself. In the spring a con rod bearing desintegrated and made a big mess at 8000 RPM. My current plan of attack is to use a brand new 550 sourced from salvage and put my top end on it. The 550 and 580 have the same bottom end. Swap in the stator and all should be good.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I've done a full 580 rebuild for under $500 with my own labor. Keep in mind I didn't use arctic cat parts. Depends on what is wrong with the crank. If you have good local crank shop, they can take out the bad portion of the crank and swap in a good piece. The crank generally is where a lot of your cash will go. Pistons are about $40 each depending in brand (obviously not cat or wiseco). I didn't have to do rods but there not much. Gasket set from Dennis Kirk is about $35. Oil pump should be fine. Needle bearings are cheap. I did all this on my 95 580 myslef and put another 3000 miles before selling it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.