Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have their rear tunnel let go? We were out today and doing some playing and I came down harder than usual and I felt something let go. I looked back and seen GREEN. I'm not too impressed with this, I beat this alot harder and it looke like the rivets might have been loose for a little and finally let go. I checked up underneath and some of the rear cooler rivets are hanging out from vibration and are ready to fall out. I looked at how the rear tunnel is connected and there are only 4 rivets on each side that hold it where it bends. Besides the coolers down the running boards which do not flex like the tunnel would so I'm thinking that was what was holding till the snapped today. Have a look.

·
Premium Member
3,765 Posts
looks like it was droped off a skyscraper.
do you have a pic of the bumper??
and one from the rear.(showing the bottom of the tunnel)
it look's it can be fixed easy enough.
once your dealer look's at it,
let us know why this happend. <_<

·
Registered
485 Posts
:( Not good. Pull your seat off and look for cracks under the tape right at the bend. Everyone should check this out before their warranty goes bye bye, obviously the rivets on the tunnel reinforcement should be checked out also. Hope this is all covered by warranty!!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Davey Boy your not alone, you didn't abuse it ,It seems that everyone running for cover at A.C. over this issue.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
got snow,

There isnt much riding time left this season anyway, but still i would not want my tunnel to break on me either. I would hate to sell my sled to someone and have the tunnel bend on them, I dont know wheather to mention this to my dealer or not, because if i do and decide to trade the sled in they will give me less for it!

·
Registered
485 Posts
<_< I hear ya Bro. I had the same issue. There was about three pages of debate about this in the old litterbox forums and I was bashed for not wanting my tunnel welded up for resale reasons. I'm not trading now so I'll likely see if A.C. will at least pop for some QUALITY tig welding and reinforcing. Maybe some welding on the tunnel / running board reinforcement brace in addition to the rivets may be in order also ? All this and I just trail ride!! I'm not into jumping and snow cross, that tunnel should be more durable.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Originally posted by got snow@Mar 23 2003, 08:54 PM
<_< I hear ya Bro. I had the same issue. There was about three pages of debate about this in the old litterbox forums and I was bashed for not wanting my tunnel welded up for resale reasons. I'm not trading now so I'll likely see if A.C. will at least pop for some QUALITY tig welding and reinforcing. Maybe some welding on the tunnel / running board reinforcement brace in addition to the rivets may be in order also ? All this and I just trail ride!! I'm not into jumping and snow cross, that tunnel should be more durable.
got snow,

For you if your not jumping or racing there is absolutly no reason why your tunnel should crack. My dealer knows i jump the sled and will use this against me saying its my fault but if they find out its not just happening to me it might be another story.

But i wonder what cat would do about this? give a new tunnel? highly unlikely, probably some type of support? Its a poor design to have a big gap in the tunnel right there.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm not a racer and I don't do big jumps, 250lbs without gear. I ride it hard but these "Sno Pro"are suppose to be deisgned to handle this. I'll talk to my dealer tomorrow. He is an excellent dealer and hopefully he can help me.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
You could get a new tunnel out of your own pocket if you have to. RV sports in thief river falls have them for like $200 and bulkheads for $250. Then reinforce the new one before you put it on. Check out the warranty though.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Last time I checked they don't say anything in their warranty policy about 'jumping'. Jumping and abuse are 2 completely different things. I don't agree that the tunnel design is the problem. It is more due to the suspension not being up to the task. It seems like a lot of people who have the SnoPro package should have the standard, and a lot of people who have the standard should have the SnoPro. Cat needs to quit screwing around and give the consumer a REAL SnoPro package. There is no reason that guys with the "SnoPro" that are 150 pounds should have to revalve and re-spring right off the bat. This would also mean that certain people who feel that they need the SnoPro package would need to admit that they don't ride hard enough, and go to a standard. Now certain guys get the snopro for the track upgrade or whatever, so Cat should just offer a choice of tracks with each suspension package.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
If i were to land my cessna 152 on it's tail, i'm sure it would crack off too, keep the rubber down, not the plastic

·
Registered
485 Posts
<_< HMMMMM, let me see , forbidden from doing tail landings, it'll crack my tunnel. Forbidden to tip sled onto the mag side, may put an air bubble into the oil line. Not forbidden to accelerate quickly with a 1/4 tank of fuel but you would be dumb to do it ! Uncovered a smart valve and it stalled !!! I thought theses were snowmobiles and we could ride them as we saw fit ? I suppose all the cracked slide rails are from tail landings too. I respect your opinion but I'm not buying your story. My tunnel is cracked on the right side only. Why??

1 - 20 of 51 Posts