Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding my sled today it ran fairly decent for all the premix in the gas. took it to the car wash and the rear sisser bolt by the couplers. the nut is loose now I have a 3/4" oblonged hole on the nut side. a freind of mine was with me he has a f7 also checked his and the nut was not all the way loose but lock washer was not even flat. I would advise everyone to check these. because guess what the rails are on back order. Just thought I would let everyone know. :angry: :angry: :angry:

·
Registered
25 Posts
This is why ,as a dealer ,we stress to the customer take a few minutes between rides
to check nuts and bolts,rails can be easily welded and redrilled cheaper and as good as new
best of all no back order waiting

·
Registered
174 Posts
Originally posted by bpwaters@Feb 22 2003, 10:38 PM
This is why ,as a dealer ,we stress to the customer take a few minutes between rides
to check nuts and bolts,rails can be easily welded and redrilled cheaper and as good as new
best of all no back order waiting
This is why, as a consumer we stress that you the dealer do your job prepping these sleds so the bolts don't come loose.

I have never owned a sled that the skid frame bolts just loosen themselves.

·
Registered
302 Posts
FirecatF7 is right. When i pay almost 8k for a machine, i shouldn't have to worry about my bolts loosening b/c the manf. used shit for fasteners. My skidoo was hard to get apart @new, maybe AC should take some lessons that area. M skid did the same and i checked mine every 200 mior so. This rear skid is too light duty. look at the F6's. They are better. My spring block rod broke off riding last week. This sled is junk in the quality dept. Runs great, but can't hold together. They need to hire me as a test pilot to verify these things will last. Next year, NO WARRANTY and same problems! They should give us 2004's for a trade even up! :angry:

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
Had the same thing happen to me, and sled is gone through after every ride, replaced rails and Cat warranteed them, every bolt now has loctite on it, Cat does not put any loctite on their nyloc nuts, this was admitted to my dealer. If your in the US, try calling Coffiel's sport and power in Glastonbury, CT that is where I found my rails, they had 4 sets in stock at the time.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Same thing happened to me this weekend, not happy to hear you say they are on back order.... I have owned 8 new cats and have never had to wrench my sleds before every ride. I just posted this on the other side before reading your post.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Come on guys it's not a big deal to go through your sled after the first few miles and check the bolts and give everything the once over twice B) It will save you some grief later on down the road.Hell the snowcross racers go through and check everything after every race,and some times we ride as hard as them all day long.
JUST MY $.02 B)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Originally posted by FCR61@Feb 23 2003, 06:53 PM
"Cat does not put any loctite on their nyloc nuts, this was admitted to my dealer."
Why the heck would AC waste time & money applying service removable loctite on a bolt that they are installing a nyloc nut on?
I have found loose suspension bolts on everything but Yami (nobody rides them here). Loctite 242 is a good idea when servicing/repairing/maintaining. 2 strokes inherently lend them selves to vibration then throw in some poor trail conditions, a few jumps - vibration is part of snowmobiling. Get off your lazy butt & look after your machine - if not stay home and watch WSA!

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
I'm not complaining at all, just trying to help others locate some rails, kinda ironic that a nyloc is the nut that loosened, and my dealer got the feeling from the Cat tech that they should have loctited everything.

·
Registered
302 Posts
:angry: Hey I have 1300 miles on and I am way pasrt the new stage. The nylocs are shit. My doo never had these BS problems. You guys are blind or ignorant if you think you should keep checking suspension bolts every ride on a new $8k sled

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
my earlier posts said this was going to happen. with the addition of flat washers the lock will not dig into the slide rail. cat will pay warranty for new rails. we stock the rails as it has been a problem.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Loctite is NOT required nor is it recomended when using Nyloc nuts. If the bolt goes thru the nut a few threads beyond, you won't experience a problem. I place a small mark from a paint pen on the nut that lines up with a mark placed next to the nut.
If the nut begins to back off, it's easy to see. I've done this to every sled I've owned and never had Nyloc nuts back off when torqued properly. On the other hand, any fastener that cannot use a Nyloc nut, I always use Loctite 242.

BTW, I ride em hard, case a few 3 footers here and there and always check EVERY fastener I can get to (sometimes need a mirror and a flashlight) after a weekend ride. Takes about 1 hour per sled. JMO Gunner.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts