Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i HAVEN'T REMOVED THE REAR SUSPENSION ON A CAT YET COULD ANYBODY GIVE ME SOME HINTS ON HOW THIS SHOULD BE DONE

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
1. Loosen track up. Really loose.
2. Take out all 4 mounting bolts.
3. Jack rear end way up.
4. Unbolt the rear springs (this allows the suspension to collapse)
5. Take it out.

When you put it back in fasten the springs in last.
Cat S.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
cmscat50 is correct. We did it on the trail last weekend in about 20 minutes. They guys trunk bag came loose and got sucked in the track, jamming up against the front heat exchanger. We didn't even unbolt the springs or loosen the track. Just loosened the 4 suspension bolts. I've got pics but they are still in the camera.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I have a cool and easy way to do it.....Just did it the other day...had to replace some idlers in a ZL500

1. Park your butt on your sled..... unless you can find a bigger one, thats good too!!!

2. Find someone to help you, and have them hook two vise-grips (one on each spring shaft) where the torsion spring's shaft goes through the mounting hole down by the front arm mount.

3. Get off of sled

4. Suspension will stay in that compressed position..... shouldn't need to loosen idler wheels, or track. Might have to just a little, but the fun is when it goes back in, no hassles..... since the springs are compressed, you can move the rear arm much easier....plus it is more compact..... easier to move around.....

I pulled the skid out the old way, but a buddy of mine helped me put it back in and thats how he did it, I was impressed, not having to unbolt the springs at all!!!

Just my $.02

Steve

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Taking the suspension out doesn't take long. It takes me about 5 minutes without an impact wrench. If you need to loosen your track to get it out, your track is probly too tight. Although, to get it in it is a little nicer to have it looser, but I did it the other day without loosening it. That is a good idea to take the springs off before you take the suspension out. It is a must to have your springs off when you put it back in though. I just keep my sled on a track stand when I take the suspension out and put it back in. Good luck with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts