Hardcore Sledder banner

Rear suspension - new floating front arm

4K views 56 replies 26 participants last post by  mk2g60 
#1 ·
Anybody else read this article? It exactly pinpoints the only characteristic I don't like about my F7. They make it sound like the "floating front arm" is the solution. Can anybody confirm its benefit? Can I replace components on my 2004 F7 to update it to this new design?

#4 ·
Originally posted by AC-F7@Sep 27 2005, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by snofan:

I haven't seen the article but what characteristic are you refering to?

AC-F7
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=895095
[/quote]

Quote from the article:
"Cat's 128x13.5 track has had a reputation for being resistant to turning because of its extra length. This length generates excessive side grip, undermining the ski's ability to lever the sled in turns."

#6 ·
i was just at the dealer yesterday looking at the skid on the 06s, trying to see whats different... i didnt see anything different, didnt see anything that could slide...
:dunno:

:fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy:

#9 ·
I read the article, it was very good and makes a lot of sense. They called the floating front arm engineering genius. I would love to try it on my 04 sled. The article said it was used on 05 sno pro's. Anybody have additional info?

The article basically says that under power the sled moves and pivots on the front arm and from that point to the rear wheel is just slid around a corner. This is working against the force from the ski's to turn. By allowing the front arm to slide the rear arm effectively becomes the pivot point as soon as the couplers make contact. This provides twice the leverage for the ski's to turn.

:beerchug:

#11 ·
Here is some info from SnowWeek about the sliding front arm on the 2005 SnoPro

---

Leading the list of '05 improvements is a new rear suspension sporting what engineers call a Slide Action front arm that represents a new frontier in suspension action. Unique to the suspension is a front fixed shaft that bolts to the tunnel. The top of the front arm features a U-shaped slot that fits over a fixed shaft allowing 0.5-inch of sliding movement. Coupling has been added to the rear arm, with a seven-position transfer system.

Unlike other coupled suspensions, the Slide Action system doesn’t force the front arm to collapse whenever the rear compresses with coupling. The result is the full benefit of rear coupling—controlled (or eliminated) ski lift during acceleration—yet with complete use of the front arm travel at all times, Cat said. The company also claims more front arm travel and absorption without ski lift during acceleration; a suspension that can be hammered through the bumps as if it were uncoupled, yet without ski lift during acceleration.

#13 ·
Here's what Cat's website says under specs for all the F-Cat rear suspensions....

FasTrack Long-Travel System slide-rail w/coupling blocks, adjustable torsion springs, Arctic Cat gas (IFP) shocks, sliding front arm

But like a few other guys have said there's nothing different and there is certainly no big machined piece in there like the 440 SP's.

#14 ·
Has anyone actually stuck there head in there and looked at the rear skid front arm were it attaches to the chassis or frame - I havnt seen a 2006 firecat yet so i couldnt tell you but when i do i will be looking - Maybe this weekend in Wausau for the drags - Scott

#15 ·
Originally posted by bee1971@Sep 27 2005, 04:21 PM
Has anyone actually stuck there head in there and looked at the rear skid front arm were it attaches to the chassis or frame - I havnt seen a 2006 firecat yet so i couldnt tell you but when i do i will be looking - Maybe this weekend in Wausau for the drags - Scott
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=895811
[/quote]

Read Hough's post:

i was just at the dealer yesterday looking at the skid on the 06s, trying to see whats different... i didnt see anything different, didnt see anything that could slide...[/b]

#19 ·
Only on sno cross sleds, not on firecats for 06

#21 ·
Originally posted by 128JetSnake@Sep 27 2005, 05:08 PM
It says the 06 firecats come with the slideing front arm on the web site, but it also says "specs subject to change".
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=895896
[/quote]

Supject to change.

This is on the snow pro race sled. Leading the list of trickery is a new rear suspension sporting what engineers call a Slide Action front arm that represents a new frontier in suspension action. Unique to the suspension is a front fixed shaft that bolts to the tunnel. The top of the front arm features a U-shaped slot that fits over a fixed shaft allowing 0.5-inch of sliding movement. Coupling has been added to the rear arm, with a seven-position transfer system.

It’s the combination of coupling and the Slide Action arm that rewrite the rules for suspension dynamics; unlike all other coupled suspensions, this system doesn’t force the front arm to collapse whenever the rear compresses with coupling. The result is the full benefit of rear coupling—controlled (or eliminated) ski lift during acceleration—yet with complete use of the front arm travel at all times. It might sound complicated, but it’s mechanically simple and the result is nothing short of revolutionary: More front arm travel and absorption without ski lift during acceleration; a suspension that can be hammered through the bumps as if it were uncoupled, yet without ski lift during acceleration. It’s a best-of-both-worlds combination, and one that would be equally effective on trails as it is in snocross.

This half inch of movment make a huge difference in ride! huge!

#24 ·
so anybody who got an 05 F7 got bent over because of the secondary issues...

now anybody who gets an 06 gets bent over because they aint gettin what they thought they were gonna get...

im just glad im not alone now... :doh:

:fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy:

#25 ·
So in a nutshell - The 06s come with different stickers and a different secondary clutch compared to the 05s :banana: :beerchug: :div20:

:cn: :banghead: :flush: :help:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.