Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody else read this article? It exactly pinpoints the only characteristic I don't like about my F7. They make it sound like the "floating front arm" is the solution. Can anybody confirm its benefit? Can I replace components on my 2004 F7 to update it to this new design?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Originally posted by snofan:
It exactly pinpoints the only characteristic I don't like about my F7.[/b]
I haven't seen the article but what characteristic are you refering to?

AC-F7

·
Registered
810 Posts
Have you guys seen this on the new F-cats? The cat website lists that the new sleds will have this sliding front arm on them but the only 06's i've looked at were exactly the same as all other f-cats on the front of the rear suspension.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by AC-F7@Sep 27 2005, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by snofan:

I haven't seen the article but what characteristic are you refering to?

AC-F7
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=895095
[/quote]

Quote from the article:
"Cat's 128x13.5 track has had a reputation for being resistant to turning because of its extra length. This length generates excessive side grip, undermining the ski's ability to lever the sled in turns."

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
i was just at the dealer yesterday looking at the skid on the 06s, trying to see whats different... i didnt see anything different, didnt see anything that could slide...
:dunno:

:fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy:

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
the sno-pros had ski spindles that would allow the skis to move side to side a little to reduce darting, don't know about anything else. This mod was supposedly going to make it into the regular sleds.

FF

·
Registered
21 Posts
I read the article, it was very good and makes a lot of sense. They called the floating front arm engineering genius. I would love to try it on my 04 sled. The article said it was used on 05 sno pro's. Anybody have additional info?

The article basically says that under power the sled moves and pivots on the front arm and from that point to the rear wheel is just slid around a corner. This is working against the force from the ski's to turn. By allowing the front arm to slide the rear arm effectively becomes the pivot point as soon as the couplers make contact. This provides twice the leverage for the ski's to turn.

:beerchug:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Great concept. But the big question is, does it really come on the '06 models? Haven't picked mine up yet, so I don't know. :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: Anybody know for sure?

·
Registered
867 Posts
Here is some info from SnowWeek about the sliding front arm on the 2005 SnoPro

---

Leading the list of '05 improvements is a new rear suspension sporting what engineers call a Slide Action front arm that represents a new frontier in suspension action. Unique to the suspension is a front fixed shaft that bolts to the tunnel. The top of the front arm features a U-shaped slot that fits over a fixed shaft allowing 0.5-inch of sliding movement. Coupling has been added to the rear arm, with a seven-position transfer system.

Unlike other coupled suspensions, the Slide Action system doesn’t force the front arm to collapse whenever the rear compresses with coupling. The result is the full benefit of rear coupling—controlled (or eliminated) ski lift during acceleration—yet with complete use of the front arm travel at all times, Cat said. The company also claims more front arm travel and absorption without ski lift during acceleration; a suspension that can be hammered through the bumps as if it were uncoupled, yet without ski lift during acceleration.

·
Premium Member
1,819 Posts
I thought that sliding arm was just on the 440 Snopros, not on the Firecat snopros.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Here's what Cat's website says under specs for all the F-Cat rear suspensions....

FasTrack Long-Travel System slide-rail w/coupling blocks, adjustable torsion springs, Arctic Cat gas (IFP) shocks, sliding front arm

But like a few other guys have said there's nothing different and there is certainly no big machined piece in there like the 440 SP's.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Has anyone actually stuck there head in there and looked at the rear skid front arm were it attaches to the chassis or frame - I havnt seen a 2006 firecat yet so i couldnt tell you but when i do i will be looking - Maybe this weekend in Wausau for the drags - Scott

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
Originally posted by bee1971@Sep 27 2005, 04:21 PM
Has anyone actually stuck there head in there and looked at the rear skid front arm were it attaches to the chassis or frame - I havnt seen a 2006 firecat yet so i couldnt tell you but when i do i will be looking - Maybe this weekend in Wausau for the drags - Scott
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=895811
[/quote]

Read Hough's post:

i was just at the dealer yesterday looking at the skid on the 06s, trying to see whats different... i didnt see anything different, didnt see anything that could slide...[/b]

·
Banned
14,035 Posts
Only on sno cross sleds, not on firecats for 06

1 - 20 of 57 Posts