Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I presently have .460 wire 90 degree bend, cat offers .460 wire 83 degree bend, I have the overload adjustment blocks. would there be enough difference in the 83's to justify the cost , would 7 degrees make that much difference in the preload? thanks Jay

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
You may be okay with the 90 degree springs considering you have overload blocks.
I'm 285# and used the lowest block setting the first two winters with the .460" wire 83 degree springs (1604-224/225). They will be too stiff if you're lighter. My 235# buddy tried my sled and described it as a "lumber wagon".
After two winters in the low position I moved the blocks to the middle position last winter. The springs are likely sagged out a bit. That's expected.
I would think that 3460" wire, 83 degree springs with overload blocks would definitely be overkill unless you far exceed 300#.

·
Registered
701 Posts
You can bend the short leg of the spring yourself if you have a good sturdy vise . I bent mine to 80 degree. Use no heat! Its not rocket science! Worked Great! :banana:

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
It all hinges on the riders weight.
My thoughts. 140# guys ride in SnoX. Their springs likely will not suit me at 285#.
The ZR800CCE springs I tossed are likely the same rates as the ZR900 SP. Too soft for my 285# butt.
Find a dealer with an AC spring chart and run from there.
Just remember that the stock 90 degree springs do not offer enough preload for the late model ZR's. Choose from the 83 degree or 75 degree menu.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Mine is a stock 02 800 EFI, 900 miles so springs are still like new.. I have the blocks on the firmest setting.. I am 235# and when i sit on it the flap is close to the ground.. Mind you if you don't have the reverse flap, the regular artic cat flap is huge.. But does anyone know what the measurement should be from say the middle of the rear bumper to the ground in an ideal setup? Or any other type of measurement that you can gauge by.. I will probably ride it first and see how it handles the bumps with me on it.. Judging by Muskoka800's buddy calling his a lumber wagon, I think I will be alright with the stock setup.. We'll have to wait till the snow flies and see..

-R.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Originally posted by rjd75@Oct 18 2005, 09:24 AM
Mine is a stock 02 800 EFI, 900 miles so springs are still like new.. I have the blocks on the firmest setting.. I am 235# and when i sit on it the flap is close to the ground.. Mind you if you don't have the reverse flap, the regular artic cat flap is huge..  But does anyone know what the measurement should be from say the middle of the rear bumper to the ground in an ideal setup? Or any other type of measurement that you can gauge by.. I will probably ride it first and see how it handles the bumps with me on it.. Judging by Muskoka800's buddy calling his a lumber wagon, I think I will be alright with the stock setup.. We'll have to wait till the snow flies and see..

-R.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=937289
[/quote]

You weight the same as my buddy who was using 1604-194/195 springs in his CCE but found it a bit harsh. He now uses the stock springs from the 2002 ZR700 LE and likes them a whole bunch for is super aggressive groomed trail thrash. I'm not sure of the complete number but I believe one side ends in -075.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts