Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never actually had the rear shock off my 01 ZR800, but am wondering what it's main function is. Is the rear skid shock just a damper (compression/rebound) or is it actually charged so that it acts to suspend rider/impact weight? Obviously most of the actual rear suspension is handled by the springs but does the rear shock handle some as well?

I ask because I'm still having trouble with bottoming even though I have the heavy springs and have extra preload on them (alloy adjusters w/ 30 more max preload on max setting). I realize that w/o compression damping, the spring will chew right through the travel in a very linear manner. Rebound seems fine, it's only on compression.

I've had the shocks rebuilt this season. Maybe the solution is to revalve to a smaller orifice (wonder if the Fox can be revalved)?

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks,

-Couch

·
Registered
754 Posts
yes the shock is to controll the rate of spring travel on compression and dampening. you said that the sled is an 01-800 , you can also put an coupling block kit in the rear arm it will stiffen the ride. if you want to stop bottoming the shock all the time try tighten up on the front skid shock or go to an heaver spring rate. i revalve my shock before i went to heaver springs,i also added an lencco rear arm shaft stop. gave me more travel . i think two inches. lencco.com
sno_pro_500

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How did the Lennco limiter work, OK? I know that it jacks the rear up by limiting the squat in the ETT, correct, but how does it change the handling?

Thanks,

-Couch

·
Registered
754 Posts
the lencco is an off centered shaft with square blocks in diffrent sizes machined on the shaft. the shortest part of the block is stock and the longes part of the block is half a hole, between the stock location. the only benefit i see s when you hit a ditch or a bump on the trail the landings are more controlable feel do to more spring resistent and or more travel from the lencco shaft.
sno_pro_500

1 - 4 of 4 Posts