Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like my rear shock is blown. My sled is so harsh now and it wasn't like that the first few times out. even little stutter bumps hurt my back some thing has to be wrong, any imput would help

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is a little bouncy but there isn't any oil leaking, i had it out of my sled and itwas easy to compress, and it slowly extended after that.

D

·
0 Posts
They are blowing gas past the piston. Mine would froth the oil I am guessing and would temporarly lose compression and rebound dampening.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
i thought mine was also very bad by the end of my weekend it killed my back !!! my zr did not feel like that ? and i also noticed that they do not use that link on the rear skid mount like my old 00zr chould this be the reason why it feels that way :blink: i do think it was way to flat feeling and stiff

·
Registered
70 Posts
Latest issue of SnoTech magazine has a small article about setting up the rear suspension.......so does your owners manual. The manual gives you a starting place for you spring pre-load....based upon your weight. Your sled has 13" of travel.....use it.....if you don't bottom out the suspension when your really hammering on it....chances are its too stiff.......just a thought

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Fireball,
this is the exact problem many of us had with our '02 ZR's. The sled would ride great, then all of a sudden would ride harsh, would really hurt my back, even over small stutters. Rebuild the shocks and the ride would be fine again. Also replaced the shocks with new ones and it would be fine. Best of luck, this condition happened to my ZR every 200 miles or less, and I'm just an upper middle age trail rider who doesn't thrash his sled!
mike

·
Registered
614 Posts
I talked to my dealer about the same problem. He told me to put stiffer springs in the sled. that would stop it from bottoming out.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Yea, Dick, upper middle aged is another term for semi retired, and riding a lot, and doing it on a new sled.
mike

·
Registered
28 Posts
the foaming of oil is called an emulsion. it is the result of nitrogen mixing with your shock oil and sometimes water. to tight of clearances of the shock body to the internal floating piston seal would result in overheating and the result fade. so some leakage is normal during break in as the sealing straps and o-rings break in. in your owners manual it tells you to have them rebuilt at a fairly low mileage. getting rid of any break- in debri and contamination is good advise. having them rebuilt by a technician with fresh oil and nitrogen charge . if hes a good shock builder you should have no problems for many miles. it would be a good time to tailor your suspension to you and your riding style. arctic cat shocks are fully valvable as well as offering lighter and heavier springs. throwing heavy springs without valving will definately change the rebound speed. which usually results in a nasty ride.

T

·
0 Posts
Stiffer springs are not the answer unless you're way over weight for the stock spring. The shock is the key. I'd guess your shock is messed up. Springs set the ride height and sag for a given rider weight. The shock does the rest. If the ride changed that much it's the shock.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts