Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Polaris xlt classic. 2002 polaris indy 500
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm going through my wife's 98 xlt classic that we bought this spring(its taking me forever because I'm disable now after falling 15 feet from a ladder in 2015 while at work, which caused me to crush 3 of my vertebrae into powder. Although I was mm away from being paralyzed, I'm thankfully able to walk and function for the most part, however I can only do about an hour or two of work a day and I'm not very fast anymore lol. Sorry I just had to put that out there in case anyone is thinking "dang, you're still working on that thing lol)and I had found a couple of wheel bearings were shot. One was very hard to turn the others sounds like they had sand in them. So instead of just replacing the ones that were bad, I ordered a 10 pack of the 6205s(I think that's what they are but I could be wrong) and a 10 pack of the 6004s and am replacing all of the wheels that I can easily get off without pulling the skid. In my case there were 6 in the middle of the skid and then each side of the rear axle, that have the blue color and design. I did not remove the two upper wheels but I did check them and they seem ok. Like i said, I've been working on this as much as I can since spring going through everything and fixing/changing anything I can find that's bad or going bad, and I need to stop taking stuff off and start working on putting it back together because snow is going to be here before I know it. It actually snowed a little bit here last night in northern lower michigan lol, and although I know I wont be riding for a month or two, I just need to get this finished up and out of my garage. So, I've got all of the bearings changed out and am ready to install them back on the skid with new grade 8 hardware, but before I do that, I was wanting to take off the two inner wheels that are on the rear axle(that ride in the center of the track)and change the bearings out as well. I have looked on here, google and pretty much everywhere but the only thing that comes up is the upper wheels that you have to take the skid off to get to, which I will for sure do next year, but I want to change the ones on the back now, IF there is an easy way that they come off. I'm going to apologize now for my lack of knowledge of snowmobiles and what different parts proper names are lol. I actually haven't ridden in about 20 years now. The last time I had a snowmobile was when I was 15(35 now) and it was the worst, most uncomfortable snowmobile ever lol. And it was ALWAYS getting stuck because the bottom of the tunnel was only a couple of inches above the ground. But it was all i/we could afford and I loved it as much as I hated it lol. I dont remember the year exactly but it had to be a late 80s/early 90s yamaha SS 440. Anyway, if anyone could help me/tell me how I would go about removing the two inner real wheels, I would very much appreciate it. I'll screenshot a parts blow up of what wheels I'm talking about in case I didnt describe it well enough, which I'm known to do lol.

I'm not sure why it only shows one of the idler wheels, but I'm pretty sure that mine has two?
Screenshot_20201016-100518_Chrome.jpg

·
Registered
41,020 Posts
To be honest even after suffering a stroke that has hampered my right side mobility i'd still suck it up, and find a way to remove the skid when replacing those idler wheel bearings. I know of others that have done in the sled, but for me its been less frustrating just to remove the skid from the sled when sitting on its side.
At any rate i wish you a full recovery...its great to see one that suffered an injury as such want to get back working on these sleds.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Normally, I'd agree with you completely and remove the skid so I could get a good look into everything(as well as doing it for the experience and learning)and take off the top wheels as well, but my wife is not happy that it's still in our garage and not put back together yet lol. Shes worried that I've gotten myself in too deep(which I havent, yet lol)and wont be able to put it back together. So If theres not an easy/quick way of taking off those inner wheels to replace the bearings, I'm just gonna put the ones that I've changed back on and make sure I get them as well as the two upper ones done next year. Next year I will be taking off the skid for sure, because I want to go over everything again. This sled was so rusted and corroded when we first bought it. I purchased it, along with an 02 indy 500 and a 2001 Triton 2 place clamshell trailer(that has the ramp you can put on the front or the back), but from the looks of it, the 98 xlt wasnt in the trailer for long. It looks like it had sat outside uncovered for a couple of years and not ridden. The whole master cylinder was seized up and the brake line was clogged with junk. I ended up buying a used master cylinder and caliper on Ebay. But yeah, this sleds been in my garage since may I think lol. But it's not like I've been able to work on it every day tho. Heck there was some weeks I was never able to make it out to work on it lol. But yeah, I can only do any kind of physical stuff for maybe an hour or two and then I gotta sit back down in my recliner. I even got a spinal cord stimulator put in but it only provides a little bit of relief. I'm excited to get back into snowmobiling but I'm a little worried about how the bumper will feel on my back. I heard that the edge suspension as well as the extra 12 are the cushiest suspension polaris has and we have one of each, so we will see. I'm looking into a universal adjustable back rest for both of our sleds, so my daughter can ride with my wife and my son can ride with me. My son is only 6 so he will ride in front of me for now, but itll be nice to have a backrest supporting me whether hes on it or I'm alone

·
Super Moderator
36,761 Posts
Lift sled up high on the rear handle, a come-a-long works good for that, now loosen track adjusting bolts all the way loose, push axle forward, remove rear suspension mounting bolts from the tunnel, put a 3/8" bar thru the bottom of the track and thru the suspension bolt mounting holes to hold the upper part of the track close to the tunnel, now remove both outer wheel bolts and outer wheels from the axle, twist axle out to remove it from the track drive lugs..replace inner wheels.

·
Registered
41,020 Posts
Normally, I'd agree with you completely and remove the skid so I could get a good look into everything(as well as doing it for the experience and learning)and take off the top wheels as well, but my wife is not happy that it's still in our garage and not put back together yet lol. Shes worried that I've gotten myself in too deep(which I havent, yet lol)and wont be able to put it back together. So If theres not an easy/quick way of taking off those inner wheels to replace the bearings, I'm just gonna put the ones that I've changed back on and make sure I get them as well as the two upper ones done next year. Next year I will be taking off the skid for sure, because I want to go over everything again. This sled was so rusted and corroded when we first bought it. I purchased it, along with an 02 indy 500 and a 2001 Triton 2 place clamshell trailer(that has the ramp you can put on the front or the back), but from the looks of it, the 98 xlt wasnt in the trailer for long. It looks like it had sat outside uncovered for a couple of years and not ridden. The whole master cylinder was seized up and the brake line was clogged with junk. I ended up buying a used master cylinder and caliper on Ebay. But yeah, this sleds been in my garage since may I think lol. But it's not like I've been able to work on it every day tho. Heck there was some weeks I was never able to make it out to work on it lol. But yeah, I can only do any kind of physical stuff for maybe an hour or two and then I gotta sit back down in my recliner. I even got a spinal cord stimulator put in but it only provides a little bit of relief. I'm excited to get back into snowmobiling but I'm a little worried about how the bumper will feel on my back. I heard that the edge suspension as well as the extra 12 are the cushiest suspension polaris has and we have one of each, so we will see. I'm looking into a universal adjustable back rest for both of our sleds, so my daughter can ride with my wife and my son can ride with me. My son is only 6 so he will ride in front of me for now, but itll be nice to have a backrest supporting me whether hes on it or I'm alone
I don't want to discourage you, but the polaris extra 12 wasn't a great riding skid. If you can find an m-10 skid to swap in there you'd be far better off.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't want to discourage you, but the polaris extra 12 wasn't a great riding skid. If you can find an m-10 skid to swap in there you'd be far better off.
Well my wife is going to be riding the 98 with the xtra12 and I'm going to be on my 02 indy 500 which I believe has the edge suspension on it. We arent going to be doing much if any off trail riding. The road we live on is actually part of one of the trail systems around here, which is pretty cool that we wont have to trailer that much because we can just leave from our house. Theres a couple of downsides to living on a trail tho and thats when people think its awesome to go screaming past our house at 1, 2 in the morning which really loud exhaust on their sleds. It's actually even annoying during the day but its tolerable lol. But it ends up waking us up usually every night.

·
Registered
41,020 Posts
Agreed no place for loud exhaust in sleds today. We have enough issues trying to keep trails open besides having loud sleds.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Agreed no place for loud exhaust in sleds today. We have enough issues trying to keep trails open besides having loud sleds.
Yeah, I dont know how much of our trails here in northern lower Michigan are on private land. But from what I've seen on shows like north woods law, both in Maine and New Hampshire, it seems some states have trail systems that are completely on privately owned land. It honestly really surprised me that some landowners do allow atvs, snowmobiles, dirt bikes etc on their property. What state do you live in? One thing I did notice on the above mentioned show is that when checking/stopping snowmobiles, they only check to make sure the machine is registered and that the person has a drivers license or an ohrv safety card. Here in michigan, along with your machine being registered(which cost 30 dollars per machine, which is good for 3 years), you also have to purchase a trail permit for 47 dollars each year. So essentially, in order to be legal, it cost 57 dollars a year(if you included the registration cost, which could be broken down to 10 dollars a year). But you have to buy and display a trail permit and registration if you are going to be riding off of private property. If you have a big farm and only ride on the farm, you dont have to do have either. But the trail permit money goes into maintaining the trail systems, which I believe around here all of the groomer and trail up keep is done by volunteers in our local snowmobile groups. I believe the state helps pay to purchase the grooming machines. So that's why I'm not sure how much of our trails are privately owned, but yeah, loud exhausts like that give the sport a bad name. Also, in michigan, between the hours of midnight and 6am, you cant drive within 100 feet of a dwelling faster than is necessary to maintain forward progress. I havent measured it but my house is maybe 30-40 feet from the roadway/trail. Thankfully our bedroom is at the furthest point away from the road but we can still hear them crystal clear.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To be honest even after suffering a stroke that has hampered my right side mobility i'd still suck it up, and find a way to remove the skid when replacing those idler wheel bearings. I know of others that have done in the sled, but for me its been less frustrating just to remove the skid from the sled when sitting on its side.
At any rate i wish you a full recovery...its great to see one that suffered an injury as such want to get back working on these sleds.
So I started to try and pull the skid tonight and I was able to get the right side(if your standing at the back of the sled) bolt out but the left side is just spinning. I looked up underneath while turning it and seen the collar with a set screw in it was spinning with the bolt. Is that one solid shaft that goes through there? If so, I could try putting a bolt with one or two nuts back in the right side real tight and hold the bolt with a wrench while I hit the other side with an air impact? I decided to pull the skid after all because I was inspecting/checking out the upper idler wheels and they both had a pretty good amount of side to side movement. The right sides wheel also looked like it had grease or something on it, so I definitely want to drop the skid and change those as well. I've read that using a ratchet strap to compress the skid helps with removal and installation? I would want to run the strap under the track, but in the same direction as the track, is that right?

·
Registered
41,020 Posts
Yeah, I dont know how much of our trails here in northern lower Michigan are on private land. But from what I've seen on shows like north woods law, both in Maine and New Hampshire, it seems some states have trail systems that are completely on privately owned land. It honestly really surprised me that some landowners do allow atvs, snowmobiles, dirt bikes etc on their property. What state do you live in? One thing I did notice on the above mentioned show is that when checking/stopping snowmobiles, they only check to make sure the machine is registered and that the person has a drivers license or an ohrv safety card. Here in michigan, along with your machine being registered(which cost 30 dollars per machine, which is good for 3 years), you also have to purchase a trail permit for 47 dollars each year. So essentially, in order to be legal, it cost 57 dollars a year(if you included the registration cost, which could be broken down to 10 dollars a year). But you have to buy and display a trail permit and registration if you are going to be riding off of private property. If you have a big farm and only ride on the farm, you dont have to do have either. But the trail permit money goes into maintaining the trail systems, which I believe around here all of the groomer and trail up keep is done by volunteers in our local snowmobile groups. I believe the state helps pay to purchase the grooming machines. So that's why I'm not sure how much of our trails are privately owned, but yeah, loud exhausts like that give the sport a bad name. Also, in michigan, between the hours of midnight and 6am, you cant drive within 100 feet of a dwelling faster than is necessary to maintain forward progress. I havent measured it but my house is maybe 30-40 feet from the roadway/trail. Thankfully our bedroom is at the furthest point away from the road but we can still hear them crystal clear.
I live in connecticut very close to ma. where i ride now...they do have a trail system, thanks to landowners allowing us to transverse their properties. The state has several large forests also you can spend some time during the day in. Really no serious snowmobile trails here in ct., at least near me. I use to ride mostly in quebec till suffering a stroke some years back. Once you ride there, everything else seems like putting around your backyard. In quebec you ride a couple hundred miles a day like a car on their super wide table top groomed trail routes while never covering the same route.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I live in connecticut very close to ma. where i ride now...they do have a trail system, thanks to landowners allowing us to transverse their properties. The state has several large forests also you can spend some time during the day in. Really no serious snowmobile trails here in ct., at least near me. I use to ride mostly in quebec till suffering a stroke some years back. Once you ride there, everything else seems like putting around your backyard. In quebec you ride a couple hundred miles a day like a car on their super wide table top groomed trail routes while never covering the same route.
That sounds awesome. I have heard that our trails/trail system is pretty good around here, but this will be my first year on them. People actually tend to come to our area to ride the trails.

So on another subject, I was finally able to get the rear skid mounting bolts out after put in a bolt with a nut on it. I had to really crank down on the nut in order to get the other side loosened up. But I lowered the back of the skid to access the wheels and this is what I found on the right side lol. So I ordered a pair of used wheels off ebay. How do you get these wheels off? I havent gotten a good look at them but I see they both have a locking collar with a set screw. I loosened the set screw but I didnt want to break anything so I figured I'd ask first how to do it
20201017_123331.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes remove the collar and pull or tap the wheel off from behind it.
I would never buy used wheels..
Awesome. Thank you. I was able to get them off doing it that way. Can I ask why youd never buy them used? I'm changing the bearings out of the ones that I ordered, so I'm not sure why itd be a bad idea? Other than maybe they could be junk? The ones I ordered (I ordered a pair of them for 15 dollars for both, compared to 40 dollars each brand new)has a lot of pictures showing their condition. I've also ordered alot of parts from this buyer and havent had any issues so far. Compared to the one I posted a picture of, they look brand new lol. But I am definitely curious as to why Its not a good idea(and I'm being sincere, not being a smart ars or anything)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I live in michigan. The northern lower part. But I already ordered them first thing this morning and they already shipped lol. So what do you make of that hole in the wheel the I posted? It looks like someone drilled a hole through it for some reason. Theres even the plastic twisties or shavings that a twist drill bit would leave.

·
Super Moderator
36,761 Posts
I live in michigan. The northern lower part. But I already ordered them first thing this morning and they already shipped lol. So what do you make of that hole in the wheel the I posted? It looks like someone drilled a hole through it for some reason. Theres even the plastic twisties or shavings that a twist drill bit would leave.
Some front wheels had a hole to access a bolt perhaps your wheels had another use purpose but ended up being used elsewhere.

·
Registered
41,020 Posts
Yeah, sleds like that had the edge chassis used those front inner wheels with holes in their edge skids where you had access to get at bolts in the skid through those holes. Like said guessing someone had some wheels the right size and drilled the holes needed for that type of application.
On another note trails in mich can get pretty rough from all i've been told by many riders from mich. i've met over the years on vacation riding in quebec. I've competed in a couple big dirt bike enduros in northern mich. back in the 80's....much like our dirt bike trails here in southern new england. I assume mich. snowmobile trails are far better.

·
Registered
41,020 Posts
That sounds awesome. I have heard that our trails/trail system is pretty good around here, but this will be my first year on them. People actually tend to come to our area to ride the trails.

So on another subject, I was finally able to get the rear skid mounting bolts out after put in a bolt with a nut on it. I had to really crank down on the nut in order to get the other side loosened up. But I lowered the back of the skid to access the wheels and this is what I found on the right side lol. So I ordered a pair of used wheels off ebay. How do you get these wheels off? I havent gotten a good look at them but I see they both have a locking collar with a set screw. I loosened the set screw but I didnt want to break anything so I figured I'd ask first how to do it View attachment 2108351
Looking at that skid i don't recognize those shocks it has...did someone replace them with something else?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts