Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the studs out of 04 F7 EXT at the end of last season. I wanted a lighter rotating mass and better turning so I bought the double stud backer plate and installed two studs every third location in place of two studs each section. I centered the first followed by a pair one quarter inch further to right of center and then one quarter inch left of center and went back to centered. I started torquing them down when I thought "heat exchangers". I know the supply and return, if you will, run on the outer limits of the running boards and meet at the back. I'm concerned about the section of tunnel that dips down right down the middle. It looks like my studs that are centered would land on either side of the section of tunnel that dips down, but the one set to either side look like the could hit if I bottomed out. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
244 Posts
I took the studs out of 04 F7 EXT at the end of last season. I wanted a lighter rotating mass and better turning so I bought the double stud backer plate and installed two studs every third location in place of two studs each section. I centered the first followed by a pair one quarter inch further to right of center and then one quarter inch left of center and went back to centered. I started torquing them down when I thought "heat exchangers". I know the supply and return, if you will, run on the outer limits of the running boards and meet at the back. I'm concerned about the section of tunnel that dips down right down the middle. It looks like my studs that are centered would land on either side of the section of tunnel that dips down, but the one set to either side look like the could hit if I bottomed out. Any thoughts?[/b]

do you have any pics.... cause you will run into trouble... on the firecats you dont do the outside edges and the very center...

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
If any are by the center line of the track (the channel on the bottom of tunnel) you will cut her open like a tin can-
Make sure NONE are around the center of track where that channel runs..... In worst case scenarios that has also taken out the gas tank - basically cutting the sled in half-

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have studs on either side of dead center. One at 6 1/4" and one at 7 1/4" . The offset right set is 6 1/2 and 7 1/2 and off set left 6" and 7".

·
Registered
410 Posts
Buy a pattern Template, they are less than ten dollars and well worth the money. you can get them from local dealers, from stud boy, or woodys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts