Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to do a 3-4 day trip in late Feb. assuming we get snow.

Is the RAP trip a good one.
How hard do you have to go to do in 3 days or is 4 better.

Going clockwise or counter clockwise any better than the other.

Would be starting from the Gooderham/Haliburton area.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

FUSE 6

·
Registered
2021 Polaris Matryx 850 Switchback Assault 146
2,713 Posts
Want to do a 3-4 day trip in late Feb. assuming we get snow.

Is the RAP trip a good one.
How hard do you have to go to do in 3 days or is 4 better.

Going clockwise or counter clockwise any better than the other.

Would be starting from the Gooderham/Haliburton area.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

FUSE 6[/b]
Whats a RAP trip?

·
Registered
874 Posts
I did it clockwise in '86 & attempted to do it CCW in '87. I think CCW is better. The 1st trip when we left Mattawa in the morning the sun is quite low in the sky & it seemed we spent most of the morning riding into the sun. It was worse for me because I had to contend w/ the snow dust since I was following.

Have a good trip.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Rap..........is a 440 mile trip if you take the lakes south of Dorset. The ride has everything, great trails, nice lake runs, and a bit of railways. The only bad part is the road trail at Trout Lake. Don't miss it thou, or your trip just got longer!

the dawg :linemup:

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Did it last year, in lieu of the Wawa, Sudbury and points North trip we were supposed to do.
No snow in these areas for the 3rd week of January???
We had planned on 200 mile days.
We had five days, and usually ended up getting to our destinations at one or two in the afternoon.
More drinking time.

We stayed at spectacle lake, best western, Mattawa Golf and ski, Comfort inn and a place in Dorset.
I loved the pipeline from Pet to Mattawa.
Wide open, roller coaster, on a Tuesday with the tunes cranked.
Thank god for slower buddies, cause the kimpex saddle bags that came with my sled ripped open, spreading all of my clothes and gear on the trail.
I should have refit it for my original bags.

·
Registered
68 Posts
right on yarddawg!We did this trip from kinmount 2 years ago and turned it into a 650 mile trip!!That damn detour.That first day to northbay was a long one,but it is a fantastic trip easily done in 3 days.We are planning to do it again this year only going counter clockwise

·
Registered
246 Posts
I am hoping to do it this year as well in the ccw direction. I think we may be leaving either from Buckhorn or Warsaw, not sure which one yet. I think we are planning to do it sometime in Februay, hopefully by then the lakes will all be good and the trails in good shape.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
We stretched our RAP to 825 miles in 4 days.
Day 1 - Departed from Muskoka (near Bracebridge) and rode to the Best Western, Pembroke. 12+ hours partially due to technical issues.
Day 2 - Pembroke to the Clarion, North Bay with at stop at Petawawa along the way to correct Day 1's technical issue. And as mentioned above, the pipeline is to die for. I'd like to trailer up to Petawawa some time just to ride the pipeline up to Mattawa and back.
Day 3 - NB to Cedar Village at the French River. Mmmmmm Good Food.
Day 4 - French River back to the cottage in Muskoka via Parry Sound.

I would highly recommend any of the accomodations listed. They are all very snowmobile business driven and eager to please.

·
Premium Member
12,762 Posts
We stretched our RAP to 825 miles in 4 days.
Day 1 - Departed from Muskoka (near Bracebridge) and rode to the Best Western, Pembroke. 12+ hours partially due to technical issues.
Day 2 - Pembroke to the Clarion, North Bay with at stop at Petawawa along the way to correct Day 1's technical issue. And as mentioned above, the pipeline is to die for. I'd like to trailer up to Petawawa some time just to ride the pipeline up to Mattawa and back.
Day 3 - NB to Cedar Village at the French River. Mmmmmm Good Food.
Day 4 - French River back to the cottage in Muskoka via Parry Sound.

I would highly recommend any of the accomodations listed. They are all very snowmobile business driven and eager to please.[/b]

Great trip.................key to making it work is getting an early start, had a blast that year in spite of the -40 with a huge wind mornings. Sleds all started ok but not without some back breaking pulls.
Agree on the pipeline comments....................insane amount of fun.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
B Trail from Haliburton to Whitney?

Is this a must do trail if doing the RAP.

My cottage is at Catchacoma Lake (south of Gooderham).

If the B trail is an excellent ride I would head to Haliburton then Whitney.

If it is nothing special then we would leave the cottage and angle NE up the E108 then Bancroft - Manooth way.

Trying to figure out the most enjoyable route.

Another question is lodging particularly along the NE side of the park.

Is there enough options to do the trip without reservations during the week. As you all know it's hard to know where you are going to be at 5:00 pm when ideally you would be close to a place to stay.
Don't want to have to stop at 2:00 pm because we met our destination, or end up riding until late night trying to reach a certain place.

Regards,

FUSE 6

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
B Trail from Haliburton to Whitney?

Is this a must do trail if doing the RAP.

If it is nothing special then we would leave the cottage and angle NE up the E108 then Bancroft - Manooth way.

Trying to figure out the most enjoyable route.

Another question is lodging particularly along the NE side of the park.

Is there enough options to do the trip without reservations during the week. As you all know it's hard to know where you are going to be at 5:00 pm when ideally you would be close to a place to stay.
Don't want to have to stop at 2:00 pm because we met our destination, or end up riding until late night trying to reach a certain place.
Regards,

FUSE 6[/b]
you'd have no problem getting to pembrooke from gooderham either way, but heading up the B trail to Whitney is the fastest for sure (assuming they groom it and the trail through the woods to the rail line by haliburton) :banghead:
you can be in whitney in less than 2 hours from gooderham, then barry's bay in another hour or so. You're now halfway there :div20:

you can probably wing the reservations if you plan on staying in pembrooke and NB, but if you hit them early and want to move further I'd book a place further along once you're in the big towns. Both those places have a ton of lodging, hardly think there'd be no vacancy during the week... :dunno:

·
Registered
567 Posts
Fuse......We start from Dorset area and do a one nighter. Either way you go, Mattawa is the half way mark. We have never needed to book in advanced, but it is nice to have phone numbers with you so you can call a few hours before you land for the night. Nothing good in Petawawa for accomodations. North Bay is a must if you haven't done that. Mattawa is nice and Spectacle Lake Lodge is great near Barry's Bay.

Enjoy!

the dawg :yamaha_rules:

·
Registered
874 Posts

If it is nothing special then we would leave the cottage and angle NE up the E108 then Bancroft - Manooth way.[/b]
I'd avoid Haliburton if you're coming from Catchacoma. Head up thru the Paudash & Maple Leaf trails trails to Lake St. Peter & Whitney.

I haven't been thru the trail from Gooderham & Donald when it's been groomed. I don't know if the HCSA ever grooms it. Plus sometimes it's hit or miss if the hydro line (TOP B) thru the park has been groomed.

PM me your email address & I'll send you my motel & mileage spreadsheets.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I'm doing it this yr in Feb, we're going CW leaving from my place on Kennisis Lk, and heading to NB the first night, and then Spec Lk Lodge the second, and back to the cottage... should be fun

Kevo

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
How does this trip sound, Pembrooke to North Bay 1st day,
North Bay to Gravenhurst 2nd day, Gravenhurst back to Pembrooke 3rd day.
Aprox. 200 miles a day
Any suggestions? Any trouble areas or water crossings that could stop this route if not frozen?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts