Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.rally-america.com/event.SnoDrift.2007.php <===== ( Info, Video , and Pics )

SNO*DRIFT | www.sno-drift.org

Sno*Drift is the first stop on the 2007 Rally America National Championship. It's a full-on snow and ice event through the back roads of northeastern lower Michigan.

LOCATION | Montmorency County, Michigan

The Sno*Drift Rally - held in the middle of winter in northastern lower Michigan - takes place where snowmobiles and Elk probably outnumber cars. As in past years, it is headquartered in Atlanta, Michigan but also passes through the towns of Lewiston and Hillman.

CONDITIONS | snow, ice, frozen gravel

Winter conditions in Michigan are hard to predict, but some combination of fresh snow and glazed ice can always be expected. Current rules restrict rally cars from using studded ice tires which makes finding traction extremely difficult for the drivers. If there has been good snowfall in the days leading up to the rally expect to see large snowbanks lining the roads. These snowbanks can be a help and a hazard for drivers as they try to stay on the road. Dress warm and bring your snowmobile suit

:3gears:

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
One of my coworkers cabin is on the route says it a great time and the cars fly...

·
Premium Member
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks interesting. I'm watching for Robby on my TiVo-ed Dakar updates. Anybody ever go watch? Worth going?[/b]

If you like fast guys going sideways through logging roads at ahigh rate of speed sometimes crashing right in front of you then you will like this .. lol

I use to race in the late eighties and early 90's as a National Driver....

Heres a link to a video from this past summer....

http://rally-america.com//video3.php

http://rally-america.com//video1.php

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Wonder how they keep snowmobilers from wondering onto the course. I can see where this could be VERY dangerous say that happens to be a weekend when there is a nice snow fall.

Matt

·
Premium Member
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wonder how they keep snowmobilers from wondering onto the course. I can see where this could be VERY dangerous say that happens to be a weekend when there is a nice snow fall.

Matt[/b]
Matt...

They get permission to close a small length of logging and two track road for a short time... Each of those sections of roads are called stages.. They run flat out on all of the stages one at a time against the clock, then reopen it to the general public... They Transit bewteen the stages on county and state roads below the posted speed limit.. They are to arrive on time meaning they cant speed or go too slow without major penalties... They also have radar guns set up on those transits so that if a racer or their service team speeds they will be removed from the race......

They do not utilize snowmobile trails....

·
Registered
198 Posts
we go every year , its a RIOT !!! then go to Talleys at night and get hammerd with the drivers .....They are NUTS!!!!! and they have some big money in these cars ...

and they dont keep us off the track , you just need to watch it when crossing a logging road !!!

·
Premium Member
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The stages appear to be faily short, 20-30 min ea. Are the transits part of actual race? Or are they just required to meet the speed and other rules during that time.[/b]

The transits are not part of the race.. they are only a route to get from one Special Stage to another........ All of the action is on the special stages... They have actual spectator areas for you to watch the action.. and they usually put them on a corner or an intersection where most of the fun is, like blowing corners, crashing into the snowbanks....

·
Premium Member
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
we go every year , its a RIOT !!! then go to Talleys at night and get hammerd with the drivers .....They are NUTS!!!!! and they have some big money in these cars ...

and they dont keep us off the track , you just need to watch it when crossing a logging road !!![/b]

:div20: I will be down there working medical... might see you in there...

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I can't see how they could ever "close" a section of road in the lower. There are WAY to many 2 tracks, trails, paths, ditches..... that go in every direction to possibly close anything off. I envision some clown leading his buddys through the woods and poping out on "some road" not knowing they are now IN the race. Just sayin.

Matt

·
Premium Member
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That would make you a snowmobiler, then a participant in the race by mistake, not a clown. Now if it was posted....[/b]

The roads are all posted and they place course workers out on all of the two tracks and roads that intersect into the stage.... They also have radio operators along the special stage and If anyone encounters NON rally traffic they will shut the tsage down.. and that rarely if ever happens....

·
Premium Member
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LD I assumed that's the way it's handled. It amazes me when watching WRC the amount of people standing on the edge of the course and the cars practically jumping over them.[/b]

Yeah that wont fly over here in the states.... Some of the european drivers now wont drive in races where the spectators are standing next to the road..

·
Premium Member
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've been up there a few times for it but never really watched it. Maybe this year I will watch it. Where is the best place to watch it from. The only time I have seen the cars is where the trail crosses Voyer Lake Road just north of town.[/b]

This is their website.. they dont have the spectator maps up yet but they will .. http://www.sno-drift.org/

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
cant rememebr what the best spot is but it has a public road sign for people to turn left to follow and stay on the same road but the rally road always turns to the left. Never faisl that someone turns left without lookn at the coarse map instead of PUBLIC ROAD SIGNS LOL

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
cant rememebr what the best spot is but it has a public road sign for people to turn left to follow and stay on the same road but the rally road always turns to the left. Never faisl that someone turns left without lookn at the coarse map instead of PUBLIC ROAD SIGNS LOL

1 - 20 of 29 Posts