Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since i was just our for fun i was to worried about the results.... but now i wanna do better. Thx to snowblind im gonna make some calls but a few major mistakes i made were: my tank was FULL and i rode on my old belt!!!

For short wot drags what fuel should i run, any additives? higher/lower octane? ethenol/regualr?

Is it better to keep rpms up at about engagement speed, or just jam on it at green?

THx in advance

·
Registered
395 Posts
^_^ I'm certainly no expert racer, however my past includes years of motocross racing. I stand with feet about 2/3 of the way back on the boards with a slight forward lean. Now I've got a Goodwin clutch kit so my engagement is slightly higher than stock. I rev it up a bit, just off idle. At WOT keep forward lean due to acceleration and ski lift, then get low and ass off the back end to finish. ;) Go get em'!!

·
Registered
395 Posts
:huh: Sorry Sniper, racing class 101 wasn't what you needed. Have you been getting beat?

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Sniper......since I have started racing my F7 I have always got in the money. I have only lost to one other F7 (raced probably 10 others) and that was in the finals. Him and I advanced together throughout the heats with me always first and him second. However I had a poor hole shot and couldnt real him in.
Anyways.....here is what I do: gas tank - just enough to get you through a few races....add as necessary.
Belt- never use a brand new belt, make sure it is broke in and adjust belt deflection as necessary.
Off the line I keep my sled revs at about 3600 rpms, and it engages at 3800 rpms. I run regular gas.
I have my front end strapped down, with my front rear skid shock tight and the limiters tight. I soften up my rear end as much as I can.
Then I work my sled at the line (slide the track back and forth sideways to get it to bite in), and be quick on the lights.
The majority of the races are won and lost at the lights.
I have my sled set up so that it launches out of the hole with my skis 6" of the ground then has them just dangle the hole way down.

The races I have been at have been very well set up and have had some very very fast racers who know there shitt. This F7 I have flat out flies.
The only problem I have had is with the sled damn near barrell rolling off the line. This has happened to me twice and I am not 100% sure why. It like the sled catches a rut then throws itself on its side just about, leaving a spin out of about 4" wide.

Anyways, so far this sled has made me some decent cash!

Thats all I can think of for now.
Good luck.

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
I know the Shilts brothers well. They work closely with Glenn Hall. They are probably Cat's top drag racers. Those guys have so many tricks to make their sleds go fast it's sick. Yes their sleds are strapped right down to the ice. They have a different CDI in their sled. Probably good for another 10 horse. They REALLY pull the motors and do tons of testing. They win or take top 2 very consistently. Practice, practice, practice.

Cat S.

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
I shouldn't say for sure, but I know I have seen them use a cable. Just to shorten up the travel. Don't know how they do the rear. The running boards are almost on the ground. I think it benefits 2 ways. One for aerodynamic drag and the other to keep the skis on the ground. I talk to them often, but never about strategy or race secrets. They did run one of the F7's at the haydays shootout. I know that in 500' it was SIGNIFICANTLY faster than the 800.

Cat S.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
When strapping the front end down, your sled doesnt have to transfer as much to get the skis up in the air.
I find by having them dangle the whole way down, my sled is not experiencing any drag from the skis and carbides.
Ice racing is different then snow drag racing. Strapping the rear is as beneficial on snow as it is on ice. You still need a fair bit of transfer on snow.

For strapping the front end down, I loosened the front shocks right off, then reversed the bolt on the bottom of the shock so that the bolts were going the same direction. Then I collapsed my front end and attached a nylon strap to the top and bottom bolt on the shocks.

THis set up I used made a HUGE difference in take off.
Like I said, with minor clutching, I have only lost to one other F7, and that was only once. I beat him 4 times prior. However, he still beat me when it counted the most. :angry:

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Originally posted by Oh Canada@Feb 17 2003, 02:00 PM
...Then I work my sled at the line (slide the track back and forth sideways to get it to bite in)...
Forgot about that ol' trick. Thanks for reminding me/us about it! -- Roy

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sand the Clutches 80 or 100 grt!
Take off the belt!
On the primary (start her up) and run the Paper up both sides get the glaze off.
Secondary, cross sand both ways.
Clean with acetone.
New belt run sand paper lightly around it then clean with acetone, Get the Glaze off.
Brake in on stand then Clean it once more.
On stand track should creap after warm up.
If track dose not creap check belt height on secondary.
If looks good track is too tight.
On our Racers SNOX we run the tracks X Lose.
Hole shots are in the bag!

·
Registered
8 Posts
SNIPPER ... I DO HAVE THE GRASS DRAG RACE SET UP FOR A F7 RITE FROM CAT IF YOU WOULD LIKE IT .IT TELLS YOU HOW TO SET UP SLED WHAT CLUTCH PARTS AND SUSPENSIONPARTS AND HOW TO SET THEM UP.

·
Registered
772 Posts
with the limiter strap...mine was sucked one notch..made a differnce in ski pressure..still can lift em up but it brings it back a down faster and doesnt walk so much.id say about 4-6 inches of the ground..but i lost to two renegades 800 doos in about 1400 feet ...i thought i lost due to the limiter being sucked up and the center shock being pretty loose back it was packed track and then loose snow on top...pretty powdery /hardpack track....of course i was running 22/40 gears but i lost on the top end to those bad boys...which the 22/40 should make me faster on top?? who knows maybe was sno conditions...on hard pack i thought the performance manual says center shock should be loose...and probably limiter staps pulled up a bit...ON HARD pack..but looser snow i guess it must not be the same

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by firescrap@Feb 17 2003, 10:02 PM
SNIPPER ... I DO HAVE THE GRASS DRAG RACE SET UP FOR A F7 RITE FROM CAT IF YOU WOULD LIKE IT .IT TELLS YOU HOW TO SET UP SLED WHAT CLUTCH PARTS AND SUSPENSIONPARTS AND HOW TO SET THEM UP.
snipper, hehehehe

sure bro, any ideas help

thx a tonne

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
SnocatX555 has the rite fine tuning. But if your allowed pix and chisels run them on a shaved track bone stock ice or HARD pck your will spank'em silly. not even a race. Your goal is to get as much of that 140 to the ground. F7 sno pro .5 lug 1.2 -200 pix and chisels wahl suspension glare ice 106mph in 660ft. will that win your race. Thought so.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts