Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is quoted from somewhere, I believe this site a while ago.

"I hope I am wrong, but have any of you tried putting grease into the zerks that are near the front AWS upper shock mounts (in the what I will call 'fender well area)? The left one filled up nicely, and when full starts to seep grease out around the inner bellcrank arm and under the hood at the top of the steering bellcrank (black cap on it). The right side had no resistance when I was pumping grease into it . I just kept pumping and pumping only to notice that the inside of the bulkhead was filling up with grease, right near where the clear plastic tube that comes out of the ECU runs down to where you can no longer see where it goes. I sure hope that there is not a improper weld on where this inner idler bellcrank is welded to the bulkhead!"

I had this exact same problem last night when I went to grease my standard F7. Has anyone else had this problem? If you haven't checked it out yet, you might want to. Seems to me it's a rather important area that really could use the grease! -- Roy

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Roy,

That was me who posted that. I took the airbox out and pumped grease in so I could see where it was coming from. I still have not come up with a logical answer to this, but I have decided to live with it...... <_<
-John

·
Registered
237 Posts
When I greasd mine I didn't have that prob.
I had the grease fitting come off and stick
in the grease gun. Same thing happened
with my 02 600 zl. That was on the skid.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, so that was you John!

You mean even after removing the airbox you couldn't tell where in the heck the grease was coming from??? I'm not too happy about that R.H. steering bellcrank getting little to no grease. That particular spot definitely is the loosest link in my steering, and I know a little grease inside there would tighten it right up, as well as prevent future wear in this area of course. Let me know if you come up with any great ideas concerning this matter... before Cat does I mean. LOL! -- Roy

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Skydog, can I assume you meant to say, "Mine is the same way"... as in, yours is "leaking" grease where it shouldn't be too?! -- Roy

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Mine too, talked to dealer about it and we kinda assume either some welding is in order or it may require a new bulkhead. I think I will also live with it though he is sending pictures to Arctic Cat. I will post results when I get them

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Roy,

What's interesting is the right side has a bearing on the top of the post and that is the side that isn't getting grease to come out the top. I would think it would be important to get grease to/thru the bearing......

It is very hard to describe what I saw, but I will try. The bulkhead all kinda comes together here, and it butts up againd this steering post with a small weld on the bottom and the top of the, what I will call the steering post. It appeared the same(structuraly) on both the right and left side, but there is no leakage on the left side. Because it all comes together in this area, I can't see behind it to actually look directly at the cylindrical tube that we are referring to as the RH steering post to see WHY it leaks grease out.

Roy, what are the chances of you taking your airbox out and taking a closer look like I did and give me your evaluation of this situation? It takes less than 10 minutes(probably more like 5) to take the hood off and pull the airbox... ;)
-John

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ditto, please keep us posted as to what you, your dealer, and Cat comes up with, as this simply cannot be correct the way I see it -- literally. I think if the steering post we're referring to actually got grease to it, my F7's steering would be ALMOST as tight as my '02 XC800 with 2500 miles on it... and that's a compliment, because it was as tight at that mileage as it was brand new! -- Roy

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by JLeosnow@Dec 18 2002, 08:47 PM
Roy, what are the chances of you taking your airbox out and taking a closer look like I did and give me your evaluation of this situation? It takes less than 10 minutes(probably more like 5) to take the hood off and pull the airbox... ;)
-John
John, I'm afraid that won't be possible for me to do that anytime soon, due to my very hectic schedule as a church organist, and I just found out I've got jury duty on Friday afternoon, AFTER the funeral I must play for that I just found out about yesterday. I know... we're ALL too busy this time of year!

I would very much like to keep tabs on this situtuation however, as I think I've made myself quite clear now, that I believe something is certainly not right here. LOL... I hate to think how much of my Mobil 1 synthetic grease I wasted trying to get that [email protected]#$%^& greased!!! -- Roy

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I know mine has a small crack on the outside where grease is leaking as well as inside the bellypan under the airbox. Due to a small weld not being done. I know the factory uses those automated robot welders so perhaps someone forgot to program this weld??? :unsure: Anyways I will try to get to the bottom of it ^_^

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to someone -- ANYONE -- if they can take the time to investigate this mistake/problem area any further. -- Roy

·
Registered
485 Posts
<_< You guys got great dealers to investigate this issue. I've now waited 16 days for my motor warranty work only for him to finally tell me he was waiting for a back ordered piston !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally had it with the dealer when I heard this as thanks to this site we know that parts are avaliable.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Originally posted by got snow@Dec 19 2002, 04:55 PM
<_< You guys got great dealers to investigate this issue. I've now waited 16 days for my motor warranty work only for him to finally tell me he was waiting for a back ordered piston !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally had it with the dealer when I heard this as thanks to this site we know that parts are avaliable.
Hu?
-John

·
Registered
154 Posts
I posted this problem back a month or so .Mine does the same thing ,only on both sides.On the left side the grease goes in under the air box,on the right side it comes out around the spindle housing.I would have thought that the spindle housing was one solid piece of pipe, but it seems it is two pieces that supposed to be welded in solid .

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My bud just tried greasing the steering posts/spindle housings on his F7, and neither of his took grease properly either. He said grease was coming out under the hood near the airbox, as well as on the other side too.

Anyone that hasn't greased these yet, might want to take a look while these things are still under warranty! -- Roy

1 - 20 of 22 Posts