Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which way does everybody take to ironwood mi. I go up 35 to hinkley then cut over at hinkley anybody else have a different path im in medford i thought maybe you people by the river might have a short cut.

·
Administrator
20,855 Posts
We go up via Hwy63 ... as soon as you get on 63 you follow that up to Hayward and then take Hwy77 up to Ironwood. You can cut a few miles off of 77 by cutting across GG, but don't have to do that. Basically, from where you're coming from you should look for either Hwy63 or Hwy53. Highway53 runs up toward Superior, and you can take a right on to Hwy63 to go to Hayward. Let me know if you have questions on this route.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i think well hit 63 to 77 how many hours does it take you. the 35 way takes between 5 to 6 hours

·
Administrator
20,855 Posts
We're leaving from Rochester, and it will probably take us close to 5 hours. We'll be taking Hwy52, cut across to Red Wing, and then get on Hwy63. Taking 63 up to Hayward and on up to Ironwood via 77. I'm hoping the snow is good up there Eric!! :)

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
We just took 35 all the way to Duluth and then took Hwy 2 from there to Hurley. We made it from St Cloud to Hurley in about 4 hrs. I doubt going east from Hinckley would be faster, but never tried that recently. We went that way once, but too many towns and the road is like a cow path compared to Hwy 2.

·
Administrator
20,855 Posts
Yeah, I can see why you took that route Kev. Coming from the SE is definitely a LOT different. We actually had a guy (who is going with us) that we should be going up to Duluth and over. I basically laughed at him, pulled out an atlas, and told him to look at the map. If you know where Red Wing is, and look at a possible route from RW to Ironwood .... Duluth is not a good option! :lol:

BTW ... coming from Medford, I don't know how far you really want to go on I35.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I agree 35 to hwy 2 is the fastest route. It might be longer in miles but 35 all the way to duluth you can make good time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
From the Twin Cities anyway, It is quicker and much easier to take 35 to 2. We used to cut through Wisconsin when the speed limit on 35N was only 55.

The shortest distance is not always the best distance.

·
Administrator
20,855 Posts
I think our issue, at least for tomorrow, is that we don't want to go thru the Cities tomorrow during rush hour. That's why we're going up to Red Wing and up on 63. I normally take 63 because I live in Lake City, and that's the best route from there. I agree with you guys on the "shortest isn't always better" philosophy. But for tomorrow's trip early in the morning, I think it's the best option.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts